1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

IVERSONfrancisQ

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by virgin suicide, Aug 4, 2000.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Iverson is a NUT case. He is a bad seed.

He does not show up for practice, is disruptive to his teamates and does not pass the ball.

He also shoots like 42%, that is NOT a great shooter folks.

Iverson is a talent, but his head will prevent him from ever being the leading cog on a championship team.

Francis is a better teamate than Iverson, PERIOD !!!

Francis over Iverson, anyday. IMNSHO.

[​IMG]

DaDakota

------------------

2. verse

verse Contributing Member

not only would i not even consider trading francis for iverson...

I WOULD NEVER HAVE ALLEN IVERSON ON MY TEAM!

no way do i have a 6' sg who shoots roughly, hmmm, 30 shots per game, shoots 42%, and does not make his teammates better. no way!

hey, i love his ability, and i loved him at g-town. but he has yet to figure out that there is a fine CANYON between being a great scorer who passes when he has to, and being a great player who uses his scoring ability to set up his teammates.

------------------
    miles ahead of the rest

3. verse

verse Contributing Member

in a separate but related topic...

can someone tell me the difference between allen iverson & chris jackson? other than the tatoos and 'tude? they were both phenomenal scorers in small frames.

------------------
    miles ahead of the rest

4. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I would never trade francis for me, myself and iverson. Iverson is a good player but he does not make the players around him better, which Francis has the potential to do. Iverson is just a Mobley that jacks the ball up 30 times a game. We only need one Mobley on our team, and he doesn't have a bad attitude. You also can't see passed his head so easily because Mobley at least 5'11 1/2"

------------------

5. TB3

TB3 Member

DAMN! There is no comparison!! Francis is a better person, a better passer, a better defender, and a better shooter.

Why do you think Iverson was moved to the 2? In my opinion, he moved because he is selfish. Iverson would not pass the ball. He also has horrible shot selection.

When I watch Francis, I see a point guard that strives to get his teammates involved. If Francis wanted to, he could compete for the scoring title too.

How many points a game would Francis have if his main goal was making himself look good? I think 28 a game would be possible.

The only players that I would trade Francis for are Duncan and Shaq.

------------------
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms. . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. . . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent
    homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." -- Jefferson's "Commonplace
    Book," 1774-1776, quoting from On Crimes and Punishment, by criminologist Cesare Beccaria, 1764

6. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

Has anyone looked at the team they have in Philadelphia? Name one player on that team that can create his own shot. The big men, Ratliff, Geiger, and Ty Hill are primarily garbagemen. Aaron Mckie scores off of Iverson's penetration to the basket or loose balls. Eric Snow is a setup man. Kukoc is washed up and couldn't come through when the Sixers needed him most. Name one player on that team that can create a shot for himself/others and then we'll see about calling Iverson a ballhog.

How does Iverson not make his teammates better? What other 2nd round playoff team has the likes of Eric Snow and Aaron freakin Mckie as starters?

And if Francis is such a "great passer" and "[he] looks to get his teammates involved", explain to me why in Iverson's rookie season, playing as a point guard, he averaged 7.5 assists per game, compared to Francis' 6.6. Was it because he is a "bad person"?

WHAT!??! Larry Brown moved him to the off-guard to utilize his scoring abilities and it has since gotten them to the 2nd round of the playoffs 2 years running.

------------------
    "I wanna eat his children."

[This message has been edited by thacabbage (edited August 04, 2000).]

7. SuperS32

SuperS32 Member

I agree Francis has a good al around game, and he's a good rebounder, etc.But the main goal for every team is to WIN, and if the rockets do this "fantasy trade", they will automatically become a better team. The player's surrounding Francis are just about equal if not better then the guys surrounding Iverson. And the difference is, Iverson's team made the playoffs.

------------------
    "There are two rules for success... 1) Never tell everything you know."

8. haven

haven Member

Hmmm... Philly's defensive intensity... good, of course, but you have to score points to win games. Come on. Take away Iverson from that team, and they'd be lucky to win 30 games. They certainly wouldn't be as good as Houston was last year.

In fact, I don't see how one can even *know* that Iverson is selfish. He doesn't have anyone to pass to, even if he wanted to do so. The assist #'s he racked up as a PG *were not bad*... and as thecabbage pointed out, better than Francis'. I think part of the negative perception of Iverson that's so predominant has to do with his quarrelling with Larry Brown.... and while nothing can excuse not attending practice, I see his point to exist. Iverson IS their team... and Brown gets angry at him for not playing in his "system."

No matter how bad his attitude is, he took a group of roleplayers to the 2nd round two consecutive years. As for winning a championship, it's very rare that players win one in their first few years.

------------------
    The lottery sucks. Playoffs 2001.

9. Dogbelly

Dogbelly Member

He can't get an assist for a dunk that Cato misses.

------------------
    Kenny Thomas had a foul called on him in the Western Conference Finals.

10. TB3

TB3 Member

Sorry dude, but in my opinion, Iverson is the most selfish player in the NBA. He won't try to get along with the coach, he won't come to practice on time, he won't adhere to the dress code, and he always looks to shoot first.

------------------
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms. . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. . . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent
    homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." -- Jefferson's "Commonplace
    Book," 1774-1776, quoting from On Crimes and Punishment, by criminologist Cesare Beccaria, 1764

11. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Let's forget just one moment that Iverson is a known as a trouble maker. There is one huge reason why we shouldn't(and of course can't) do that trade....salary.

Iverson is making buko dollars and Francis is still under his rookie contract. It's not a wise business decision.

------------------
    "I've been licking this carpet for hours and I still don't feel like a lesbian!"

12. Dogbelly

Dogbelly Member

TB3, those are all perfect examples of Iverson's biggest problem--- immaturity. I don't think anyone will disagree that the guy has amazing talent. The difference between him and Francis is that Steve knows there are parts of his game that need work and he is willing to work to become the best player in the league. Iverson thinks he already is that player and wants everyone else to conform to him. WAY overhyped.

------------------
    Kenny Thomas had a foul called on him in the Western Conference Finals.

13. TB3

TB3 Member

One more point Cabbage,

Philly has been an excellent defensive team, with Snow, Hughes, Ratliff, and Lynch doing the dirty work. I think Philly's defensive intensity is the reason they are a playoff team.

------------------

14. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Fun Police hate people who dont pass the ball , GP Jason Kidd and Mighty Mouse are gonna come to your house and bust some ass . now jimmy son all you have to do is pass the man the ball .

------------------
    President of the Rockets/Raiders Fan Club