1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I've grown to LOVE Clint Capela

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ThatBoyNick, Dec 1, 2015.

1. roslolian

roslolian Member

He would be top 5 along with Jokic. Rix lucked out on him I have absolutely no idea why Capela dropped.

Chamillionaire and DonKnock like this.
  2. roslolian

roslolian Member

Lol feel sorry for the OP he just got dogpiled on by CF

hakeem94 and Chamillionaire like this.
  3. roslolian

roslolian Member

Uh what? Bad rebounding team means no one the team is incapable of getting rebs so if you stick a center there and the team is still a bad rebounder then that means the C you put in sucks at rebounding too. In contrast if you put a C there and he averages 20 rebs a night then the team won't be a bad rebounder anymore. Maybe what you meant to say is bad shooting team in which case there would be lots of rebs due to missed shots, this doesn't apply to the Rockets though.

Rockets are actually an average rebounding team, they are ranked 16 in the league, Anderson sucks at rebounding but Beverly, Harden and Gordon are elite rebounders at their position so it evens out. First is actually Denver which tells you the disparity between #1 and #16 isn't big enough to affect season standings.

Rox sucking at rebounding is just the spin media personalities push and the perception people have because a high pace high powered offense team must suck at D and rebounding. The fact that Rox are sitting comfortably at 3rd spot shows they aren't that bad at both.

Chamillionaire likes this.
  4. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

I know a lot of the draft formulas these GMs use as a tool to rate players in the draft had Capela as a top 10 player or somthing along those lines.

I know that's how Morey drafts by using that module and picking the best player available.

Clint was a big hit.

We get on him a lot, myself included. But he's a very intriguing prospect and has made a lot of improvements since his first game 2.5 years ago.

He's avg 12/7.5/1.5 in under 25 min shooting 66/50 splits. His numbers are light years ahea of deandre Jordan at this age, year in league and games played.

I thought he did really well against Towns defensively in the first quarter. He just needs to learn how to sustain that throughout the whole game, and Lets face it most guys arnt as good as KAT offensively, maybe only 2-3 other guys in the whole league.

I have def noticed the Clint Capela that we saw the last few games before his injury. He's moving well, running the court blocking shots and rebounding a lot better as well as catching more lobs way above the rim.

I understand why harden/Morey/MDA are so high on Clint. They see the big picture. We have one more year to develop him before he gets paid and he's already starter level center even if it's a mid tier starter at the moment.

But he has the physical tools that only a handful of guys 6'10+ if that have. He's one of the fastest centers from end to end in the NBA he's one of the few that can sky above the rim and catch the lobs and what makes him really unique is he actually has really good hands and very soft touch around the rim. He's a very gifted offensive player in terms of finishing off the roll or anywhere in the paint.

He's only going to get better on that end. I really think if he was getting 32-33mph every night he could avg 17-20ppg right now just because he fits the offense so well.

I don't know if he's ever going to be a dominant defender but the tools are there. There's no doubt that he will get better just because that's what they work on him the most and he is improving. He's a pretty good shot blocker as is and is very Mobile and seems to be getting a lot better knowing when to help out. And he's the lynchpin of a top 15 defense that's pretty close to cracking top 10.

Ultimately what worries me the most is his rebounding. He was better last year imo. I think he needs to add more weight but still keep his mobility and athletism. It's possible deandre Jordan did it as well as few other guys.

It's ultimately going to be the difference in Clint being an average starter who is a good offensive weapon or a truely elite starting level center.

But The guy absolutely needs to add 20-25 more pounds. His frame looks like he can handle it imo. He's 250 now so 270-275 and I think we'll see a truely different Capela.

5. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

This is a great post

banzai, Hakeemtheking and DonKnock like this.
  6. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Clint isnt strong enough at his position and is a below avg defender...but the dude really has worked a ton on his offense game and it really shows. I really hope he makes the leap defensively. Scary to think how young he is and his potential is really endless.

DonKnock likes this.
  7. roslolian

roslolian Member

My issue with him adding pounds though is that might make him injury prone. Rox play a high paced game with lots of running and jumping around. Adding pounds would increase the wear and tear of his knees. I mean Dwight had tree trunk legs and he's already worn out at age 31, what more Capela if they artificially make him buffer than what he naturally is.

8. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

that is a concern but at the same time there's a lot of guys who have put on weight and not had any injury issues at all.

Ultimately clints going to have to add more weight if he's going to be the defender rim protector we all desire.

Imagine if he had a body more similar to nene? And that guy is 35 and still running up and down the court and dunking on people.

I really like to compare Clint to deandre Jordan because I think there career arc is trending the same. Jordan has put on a lot of weight over the last few years and hasn't missed a game nor has his speed and agility suffered.

I do like the way the rockets have beefed him up every year. Thy are not pushing it and trying to have him gain 40-50lbs in one offseason. He's put on 30-35lbs since he got here I think he puts on another 15-20lbs this offseason.

Plus he's still young. If they just left him as is he would prob gain 25lbs over the next 2-3 years just on the fact that his body is going to man out, he's only 23 at the end of the day.

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  9. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

Usually injuries like Ben Simmon's and KD's Jones' fractures are from adding on weight too quickly. Simmons added 33 lbs in one summer.

There are many physiological reasons for this. It could also be a sign of PED use, tendons and bone density not being able to keep up with muscle growth.

What you are describing with Clint's weight gain is near ideal way do it. Rockets fans just are impatient sometimes:)

10. basketballholic

Weight is not Capela's major problem. His major problem is being in the right spot initially and responding quickly enough to movement to get in the right spot after that and from there making the correct defensive decision and defensive play. Adding weight and muscle isn't going to change his quickly he reads and reacts and whether or not he makes the right basketball play defensively.

banzai likes this.
  11. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

I agree with that but I think the added weight would help him a lot on the boards.

But it's also not unusual for bigs to become better defenders after the 3rd 4th season. He's still fairly young and is playing on a team were he really got no time his rookie year and went through mutiny his second year.

If he doesn't improve next year on rotations and understanding we're to be then ya I'll be concerned but I think it's really premature to right him off on that end this year.

Deandre Jordan for instance really increased his stats 3 seasons ago but it wasn't till 2 years ago that he really Became a premier defensive center.

Gotta give Clint time. He's a very good prospect.

cmlmel77, Hakeemtheking and DonKnock like this.
  12. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yup, it's not entirely the weight.

(But some more old man strength would definitely help his confidence and thus improve his read and react)

13. basketballholic

Whaaaaaaaaat?

How does having confidence improve read and react? Do you have evidence of that?

14. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

I would say this is a product of our small ball. He basically has the whole paint to himself and help side defense/reb is lacking. He is a block first defender and can get burned. The great shotblockers like Hakeem had Otis, Ewing had Mason who did the sealing off/boxing out. As fast as the ball moves these days, it's more difficult to cover ground.

15. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Don't feel sorry I don't feel dog piled on.

All these weak sauce opinions don't faze my ever growing love for Capela.

hakeem94 likes this.
  16. tochiee22

tochiee22 Contributing Member

Capela ain't going anywhere unless it's a trade for a big time player...

17. basketballholic

Agreed. Small ball effects our defense. But.....everybody in the Association is dealing with the same things. You're basically saying him and Anderson aren't a good defensive combo. And we already know that. The problem I have with that is CC has shown nothing defensively at any time over the course of these first three seasons except when he is out there teamed up with another guy who is a defensive 5 anchor.

Go back over all CC's career video and you will find he looks very good defensively when he was paired with either Dwight or Smoove. In both instances those guys were anchoring the paint and Capela was playing the defensive 4. At no time when Clint was playing the 5 has he looked effective in the paint and the opponents shot chart tells that story plainly. Then when you watch isolated video of him you can see it. Out of position and too slow to react.

Now if there were some sort of upward trajectory in improvement in reaction then I could possibly believe that he will "break out" as a plus paint defender sometime between now and the end of his rookie deal. But in my opinion he has flatlined in his paint defense improvement. There hasn't been any improvement since day 1. You can compare video of him at the 5 from the end of his rookie season and that 2015 playoffs to today and it's the same slow, too late reactions. I don't see it. I firmly believe his offense is a product of the system. I believe we need to get a legit starting center or we are going to get punched out in the playoffs. And I believe we should have traded him before this season to maximize his asset value. Young bigs are plentiful right now. Unless he really brings it defensively big time next year his trade value is on an extreme downward slope. And unless he shows massive defensive improvement we CANNOT afford to pay him big bucks to clog our cap in hopes that he becomes the anchor we need down the road somewhere.

We should have traded Capela. (My opinion. Please prove me wrong, big boy, and help us win a title this year and not be the cause of an early playoff exit.)

18. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Ever played this game of basketball? The answer is obvious for anyone that has.

J Sizzle likes this.
  19. roslolian

roslolian Member

Capela is only 23 yrs old and he's a first year starter. Its downright ridiculous for you to say he has "flat lined" in any area at all.

20. basketballholic

Yes I have
    Yes I have. And confidence doesn't make a player react quicker. Only thing confidence does to a slow reacting player is make them anticipate more because they mistakenly think they're going to make a great stop. Instead they get in foul trouble and a temporary confidence boost goes away in a hurry.

I loved playing against slow reacting confident bigs. That meant countless trips to the free throw line for me.