1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I've got a few questions about Mobley.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TraJ, Dec 16, 1999.

1. TraJ

TraJ Member

Mobley is a free agent this summer, right? He's only been in the league two years, therefore the Rockets don't have Bird's rights on him after the season. Are we going to be able to pay him? Will he stay knowing that Shandon Anderson will most likely be getting the start at shooting guard? Would it be better to trade him if we can't pay him and can't start him? If so, could we really get fair value for him since his contract is so low? If not, could he be coupled with Walt to make the overall salaries balance out (if the other team really wants Mobley, they have to take Walt so that we can get a player worth a little more than $5 million in return)? Would anybody do that? Is Mobley that highly regarded around the league? These are things that have crossed my mind from time to time and I was just wondering if anybody has an answer.

2. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

I have wondered the same things and don't know anything more than you do. It would be great if we could keep him, but I don't know if I see a young guy like him wanting to be a career sixth man or if management would want to pay a backup guard the kind of money he probably would command. That's why I find it kind of exciting to see Rudy testing Shandon at the three. If that works out well, then I think it would definitely improve Cuttino's chances of being here next year.

If the Rockets didn't feel like they could resign Mobley and they wanted to get something in return, I agree with you: the most attractive option would be to unload Walt with him. However, I think this is kind of unlikely with all the cap considerations, etc. I think maybe a deal involving picks or less talented players would be more likely. Considering Mobley would have to agree to sign with the team following this year, it lessens the possibilities further. That's just my guess. It would be cool to see someone more knowledgeable take a stab at it.

3. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Well I'm certainly not a captologist but this is the way I see it. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Rookies were suppose to have three year guaranteed contract before the new CBA. But since Mobley is drafted in the second round he does not have a three year contract. Mobley would fall into the two to four year maximum salary spot. Meaning the most he can make (5 million I think) would be more than the Rocks can offer him. The options he might have is to sign with the Rock for one more year at the minimum. Then he would have Bird rights from the Rocks. But he knows that he would be primarily a backup for the duration on his long contract. As a young and upcoming player I dont see why he would agree with that. The probability of getting injured while playing for the minimum would also prevent him from signing with the Rockets. So I think we are just going to loose him for basically nothing. I dont think its a smart idea starting Shandon, Mobes and Francis anyways. The bigger lineups would kick our ass. We dont want to be like the damn Suns anyways. Again I'm probably wrong with all of this, so someone feel free to correct me.

4. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I think Mobley would be foolish not to sign a one year contract with the Rockets to get his Bird Rights, because:
    1. If he went somewhere else, he'd have to do another 3 years to get the Bird Rights.
    2. He knows his game is looking good in the Rockets system. If he plays for another team, he runs the risk of being marginalized and have that affect his contract.
    3. Rudy is high on him and Les has a reputation for paying what is owed. When he does get his Bird Rights, he'll be properly compensated here. That's not necessarily true elsewhere.
    4. He may not start, but he gets starter minutes anyway. I think only Francis plays more minutes than him.
    5. Rudy already likes him better than Anderson and the only reason he's not starting now is because Rudy likes having instant offense on the bench. Under any other coach, he probably would start. (Is that a reason to stay?)
    6. The chance for career-threatening injury, especially for his age, is pretty low. He can probably risk one year to get his Rights.
    7. He's the same age (roughly) as the rest of the core here so he'll peak along with Francis, Cato, Drew, Anderson, next year's draft pick, etc. We'll eventually be a good team.
    8. Houston is the greatest city in the world.
    9. No income tax.
    10. He likes his team-mates.

5. bballfanatic

bballfanatic Member

Unfortunately, Rudy does seem to like Cuttino more than Shandon. And Cuttino does get plenty of minutes without starting.

6. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

If I'm not mistaken, a player's bird rights are transferrable. How else could the Nets have afforded to pay Marbury $70 mill over 8 years the day after they got him, or the Rockets $42 mill to Cato? Both clubs were/are well over the cap.

I feel the same way I have felt all along about Mobley. Trade him...now. There are just too many reasons for him not to return. Don't underestimate Cat's value. GM's around the league [this is a fact] are drooling over the chance to land him via trade. Imagine if they didn't have to give up anything for him and get him as a free agent. Already, many teams have scrapped their rosters for a shot at Duncan/Hill. Once the dust settles, guys like Mobley,McGrady,and Jalen Rose will all make nice consolation prizes. Why would he want to stay here and play second fiddle the rest of his career when he could go to a team [that will have cap room] and be a starter? Toronto is under the cap and they need a running mate for Vince Carter. The likely departures of Reggie Miller and Rik Smits and the late youth movement in Indiana could have the Pacers making a push.

We must deal him now.

Not only because we have next to zero chance of resigning him, but also because there are so many gems on the trading block this season.

7. davo

davo Contributing Member

OK, heres my input on Mobley.

Heypartner is correct - the maximum we could pay Mobley next year would be the mid level exception - around $2mill. I think you are all jumping the gun about him wanting to leave. He likes it in Houston, he knows that we gave him his big chance, he knows Rudy likes him, and he's a real heart & soul kind of guy. My prediction - he will take the mid level exception next year, along with a promise from Les(Shandon style)to get a sweet deal the following under full Bird rights.

Now what about this. According to the new CBA, a team who has lost a player to a season ending injury(Barkley) can sign a player up to the greater of a) 50% of the lost players salary ($4.5Million) or b) 108% of the average league salary (not sure what this is). The money can be used to either sign a free agent, or be used in unequal trades (ie we could trade a $1 million player for a $5.5 million player). Unfortunately this has to be approved by the NBA board of Governor's. The second option of using the cap space in a trade looks the most attractive to me, and could open up a few options for us. Package that with Walt Williams and you've got a few bucks to play with.

8. JuanValdez

I don't see it as a problem. I don't think Mobley has any intention of leaving (though shopping him around could change his mind on that score). If he's worried about money, Houston is the best place for him. Les consistently overpays his players. I doubt he'd leave for a starting position, because he already gets the minutes here, he just doesn't have his name announced at the beginning of the game. If it was so important to him, I'm sure he could talk his way into the starting line-up -- who starts the game isn't important anyway.

9. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

i keep agreeing with Juan on every turn...Les does overpay. You know Calvin is being overpaid for whatever it is he does.

Meant to add another one Juan:
    11. Houston has the best restaurants.

10. Francis3

Francis3 Member

12. Houston has the best strip clubs.

Mobley will not leave. He loves it here.

11. grummett

grummett Contributing Member

Why is there next to zero chance of resigning Mobley?

12. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

13.Houston is right near the top as far as the best nightlife with the most accessible,hot women and lots of partying!
    Oh yeah,we do need to trade Cat for a power forward or a 3.

[This message has been edited by Hardwood Hammer (edited December 16, 1999).]

13. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

well i don't see any players signing longterm knowing the team may move shortly and i dotn' think les is going to dish out money as long as the games aren't selling out

14. heypartner

who said that grummet?

what we are saying is Mobley is in a unique situation coming out of the 2nd round...his max salary limit is $9m coming out of his second yr. Since he won't have Larry Bird Exception rights, the best we can do is pay him the same as shandon ($2.25m next year). Thus, teams with enough room under the cap can out bid us all the way up to $9m.

most of us think Mobley likes Houston too much to leave jump into the free agent market,

14. we have the best jerseys (well, i might be stretching it there, but Cat does look fine in it, don't you think)

15. grummett

grummett Contributing Member

thacabbage said it in the last sentence of his post.

16. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

grummet:

sorry, that 0% bit was exaggeration.. [​IMG]

Whatever the chances may be numerically, they don't look real good. Just look at this logically. I don't care how much many of us are telling ourselves that he loves Houston [BTW, where do you'll keep getting this.."every Rocket loves Houston and bleeds Rocket Red" argument], money almost always does the talking. A starting job and a chance to showcase his skills next to Vince Carter/Rose/otheres would only help Toronto/other's chances.

Besides, even if he does want to stay, I just think some guys like McGrady have far more potential and can be had.

17. heypartner

does anyone else see a whole lotta Vernon in Mobley without the "mad"?

You love him or hate about 10 times a game. On skill level, fast and a great finisher. Audacious defender. And a streaky shooter. I'll admit, I don't see any 35 point quarters in him like Vernon (but, you know the Earth shook that day!)

Heart, determination and fire all point to the second coming of Vernon as well.

But most similar, in the end, most of us know we are scared to see him in another jersey. It is up to him whether he wants to stay or go. He'll find the money to beat our $2.25m

18. heypartner

let me add a little to what Juan said...if we trade Mobley, the current state of his Bird rights go with him. Bird years only get restarted when a player moves teams through Free Agency. (sign-n-trade is a trade, not free agent acquisition)

Rockets3

I don't understand your 2yr, 4yr thing. There are only 4 divisions to maximum salary:

0-6 yrs = $9m
    7-9 = $11m
    10+ = $14m
    and rookie scale for 1st round picks

(these max's increase over the years of the CBA agreement)

It's tough citing something for Mobley's situation, because it is so rare for a 2nd-rounder excel so early. I can tell you one thing, there is no special stipulation regarding 2nd rounders, only 1st rounders.

With that said, I am left to assume from my reading of the CBA that Mobley's maximum salary next is ONLY capped by the 0-6 year limit...which is $9 million big ones.

Here's the problem for the Rockets. They will not be able to outbid anyone that makes them compete above the MID-LEVEL SALARY EXCEPTION -- which is Shandon's salary. $2.25m next year. Mobley indeed has a Bird exception, just not the big one. He would be an Early Bird--capped at a 175% raise of this year's salary (pitiful).

So, the MID-LEVEL EXCEPTION is the one the Rockets can use to pay him the most without worrying about cap room.

Sadly, any other team that has the cap room can outbid us all the way to $9m. They wouldn't get a cap exception of course, because it would be a Free agent move.

Hope this helps. I have a URL for the CBA agreement FAQ if you have any disputes. I've misread it before...but I'm pretty confident about this one.

19. JuanValdez

Assuming he can get an offer for more than $2.25 million next year, no team has a better reputation for rewarding players than the Rockets. If money really does talk, he'll stay here: this is where the money is at. He is already highly valued here and Les has already established that he is willing to pay when he is allowed to pay. And he will be allowed to pay after next season.