1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

It's Very Simple: Get Romo or Jimmy G

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Fullcourt, Jan 15, 2017.

1. vjohnson

vjohnson Member

Exactly get romo or draft one in the first round no more backups from another team

CallMeTheDream likes this.
  2. delta69er

delta69er Member

Oh yeah I forgot we said no Peyton Manning because we had Matt the goat Schaub

3. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Um....Peyton was a Free Agent.

So it was just the money.........that was on Kubiak.

4. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Stop with the Romo nonsense.

5. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

You could be right, but the precedent is there and by all accounts, Jerry Jones nearly sees Romo as a son. I wouldn't be shocked in the least if Romo is granted a release if they can't work a deal to a contender.

If that happens, you'd have to think he first looks to two teams: Houston and Denver. Only way he makes it to a Buffalo or something would be if they pony up serious cash.

6. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

What's a fair trade for Romo?

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The Cowboys cutting him and a league minimum contract. That is the ONLY scenario where the Texans would have ANY interest whatsoever.

8. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

It's very simple: Texans suck donkey balls and Texan fans are delusional.

9. Xenon

Xenon Contributing Member

I'd do it. Send a 2nd to Dallas. Is it possible for the Texans to clear enough cap space for Romo? Who would we have to let walk?

10. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

It was because Peyton was coming off of career threatening neck surgery and there were serious questions of how well he could still play. What he did his first year in Denver surprised nearly everyone.

11. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

We're currently about $24.6M under the estimated 2017 cap and Romo's cap 2017 cap hit is $24.7M. So pretty much all of our free agents (most notably Bouye) and then cut Cushing and Joseph (which we'll probably do anyway) to create another $13M for other moves.

12. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Romo is not worth losing Buoye and then also not having the ability to sign any other notable free agents. That money created by cutting Cush and Joseph would mostly go to draft picks.

13. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Not kicking the tires on Romo, Rivers and Brees (and any other aging, expensive - but still good - QB stuck on a bad team or in a bad situation) would be flat-out irresponsible.

Or, you know... the Brock Osweiler route....

If it's not a proven veteran, I'd rather they roll with Osweiler/Savage/high(er) draft pick. They can't afford 1, 2 or 3 years figuring out what they have with a back-up.

14. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

15. Hey Now!

Osweiler/Broncos about 9 months ago.

16. macho87

macho87 Member

Romo will be a free agent ppl! Cowboys will be over the cap and romo will be cut.

17. macho87

macho87 Member

Sign romo and draft a qb.

18. Major

Major Member

I said decent QB. :D But yeah, the Osweiller situation was weird all around - they thought so highly of him that they benched him for a dead-armed Manning with the lowest QB Rating in the NFL last year. To put it in context, they benched Osweiller for a guy who was having a season worse than *this year's* Osweiller, with a 65 QBRating and 9 TDs / 17 INTs.

I don't think the love affair with Osweiller there was what people have made it out to be. Denver wanted to keep him because they had a SB team and he had some experience, but I don't think they cared that much.

That said, you're right that it's an example of a QB leaving a team that tried to keep him. I guess I'm more thinking of a situation where a team envisioned a guy as their franchise QB. I'm not sure Brock was ever that for them. In that scenario, deals always get worked out - no team loses their franchise QB, so no franchise-type QBs are ever available (outside of those rare "we have 2 great QB!" situations).

19. Hey Now!

Yeah, I initially added that caveat - but, to be fair... Osweiler WAS decent last year. And in terms of age and potential, is the best QB to hit free agency in... a very long time.

But, back to your point: I don't think this'll be a case of a team parting with a QB they want to keep - it'll be taking an expensive, veteran off their hands so that they can move potentially start the process of clearing cap space and moving on.

20. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

It doesn't matter what QB you get until the coaching staff changes it's outlook and attitude for the offense.

I'm not saying Brock doesn't have his faults, but the OC and Bob are not helping one bit...

Too much focus has been put on the QB instead of the actual problem which is the coach. This team has went thru 7 qb's in the last 3 years.

T_Man