1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including SGA and the Thunder taking on the New Orleans Pelicans

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

It's real now. What would you give up for Tony Romo?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Another Brother, Mar 9, 2017.

1. Nimo

Nimo Member

Brandon Weeden

2. K-Lo_The_Future

Is there a deadline for the cowboys to trade Romo at this point?

3. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

When faced with the prospect of having to release him to let him go to Houston, I believe Dallas will trade him to Denver for next to nothing.. Dallas won't want the headache of him doing well so close to hom

4. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

My guess is that they were set to release him and then got word about the Osweiler trade and backed off of the release thinking they could hold us up for a trade.

You've seen all of the Texans mouthpieces come out and say "NO WAY" the Texans will trade for Romo.

5. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

The Cowboys would be dumb to take a lesser asset because, "I-45!!" And the Cowboys were 13-3 last year; if they're worried about the Houston Texans...

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I still think that when they get no offers whatsoever they'll just release him. Then again, the Texans managed to unload Brock Osweiler so literally anything is possible I suppose.

7. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

I believe Romo and Jerry Jones are pretty close. If Romo wants to come to Houston Jerry won't "block" it.

8. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

What's the cap ramification of trading for him vs. signing him (assuming it's a reasonable contract ~10 mil)?

9. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

Romo said goodbye to the fans on twitter an hour ago, and yet he is still a Cowboy. Guess Jerry is holding out hope for a trade.

10. J.R.

J.R. Member

(Host) Team that trades for Romo - they'll owe $14M if he's on the week one roster. Any other money involved?

(Cowboys beat writer) Todd Archer: No. No guaranteed money in the deal. Just the base salary this year. Nothing owed in '18 & '19.

If traded to Texans(or Broncos) today, he'd still be under contract through 2019. Base salaries not guaranteed.

11. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

I feel like this standoff between the Texans, the Cowboys, and the Broncos is like the ending to "The Good the Bad and The Ugly"

[​IMG]

Kim and Yaosthirdleg like this.
  12. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Jerry loves that ambiguity line. Love Tony but want him in Denver.

13. mightybosstone

I'd be a little surprised if the Texans or Broncos traded anything for Romo's contract as it stands. Now, if they can find a way to rework his contract as part of the trade agreement, I could see Dallas getting a 6th or 7th rounder for him. But giving up more than that seems a little crazy. If no team bites on a trade, Jones will absolutely let Romo walk, and Houston has as good a chance as Denver to sign him as an UFA.

However, amid all this Romo talk, I really, really hope the front office and coaching staff don't shy away from still drafting a QB in this draft. Romo's career as a Texan or Bronco has an expiration date, and it's not too far away.

14. conquistador#11

6th round pick and they must guarantee full health, otherwise they send us a 1st round pick in 2044.

15. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

I give up nothing.

He's a band aid.

A nice band aid, but I'm ready to move on if he cannot be had on the open market.

16. mario_v

mario_v Member

So why did the Texans trade a second round pick if they're not getting Romo?

17. finsraider

finsraider Member

No way Jerry doesn't give Romo whatever he wants in the end. Would set a bad precedent among vets.

18. liveguy

liveguy Member

Because they wanted to get rid of that dude THAT BAD! Hahahaha!

Just, wow....he was THAT garbage.

19. mario_v

mario_v Member

I thought the whole point of trading a second round pick was to get rid of Osweiler so we can have the cap space to sign Romo?

20. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

I'd be surprised if Romo ends up in Denver. They had Elway and P.Manning as Super Bowl winning QBs, going to Denver is going to be pressure-packed. Denver defense is no choir boys, they will inflame the locker room if the offense doesn't perform. Going to Houston maybe easier for Romo, look at the previous QBs for the Texans. Jerry Jones is probaly waiting for either Texans, or Broncos to overpay, if neither do. I expect Romo to be with Texans.