1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

It's Official : The Rockets have gotten BETTER this offseason

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by GranvilleWaders, Jul 12, 2018.

1. lionaire

lionaire Member

:eek::eek::eek:

noppeper likes this.
  2. Gwalchmai

Gwalchmai Member

No. Green will not match what Ariza brought to the team.

carib, REEKO_HTOWN and napalm06 like this.
  3. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

I see the stats, and while I'm not disputing the numbers, I think it's important to also admit that Green didn't play the same minutes against the opposing team's starting 5, in comparison to Ariza, who guarded the best offensive player on the other team every night. The stats also don't account for denying passes, forcing difficult shots, etc...

Again, I like GG, but his basketball IQ doesn't come close to Ariza's understanding of the game/situations. That's important. Also, although his dribble was unconventional, Trevor was able to take care of the ball with ease. Gerald is incredibly shaky when he's pressured...I never worried about Trevor throwing it away under pressure (rarely, anyway)

I will admit to a personal bias, but either way, I still believe that Trev's impact will be missed, and I'm not confident that any of our "current" 3s can be the consistent leader/fighter, both mentally and physically, that Trev was for us. I'm happy for the new opportunity for GG/Ennis3, but let's not forget about the work Ariza put in. We can look at percentages and numbers all day (right?), but Trev's body of work speaks for itself. In his limited role with us, he was fantastic. I'd argue that Trev is one of Morey's best decisions (obviously James takes the cake).

today, Deuce, ths balla and 9 others like this.
  4. Chamillionaire

I love Ariza. The dude played hard all the time every time. I'm glad he's getting paid finally. He deserves it.
    Obviously we can't pay him that with the other guys getting paid. I think his production can be replaced with cheaper hungry guys. Excited about Ennis.

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  5. mdoggnic

mdoggnic Contributing Member

You lost me at “Lets go to the numbers from last year...” when comparing Gerald Green to Trevor Ariza. I love GG’s roll on this team and the hometown connection is awesome. However, “numbers” aside GG is not in Ariza’s league when it comes to playing defense. This is even taking into account that Ariza has declined defensively. GG is an average individual defender at best and is a horrible team defender. There is a reason that one player is making $15 million next year and the other is playing on a veterans minimum contract and “numbers” are not it.

Codman likes this.
  6. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

A couple loudmouths, sure. I don't remember the smarter, more chill fans on the BBS having big problems with Ariza.

7. dragonwill

dragonwill Member

We have gotten better?
    Have we sign Capela yet?

bulkatron likes this.
  8. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

i think the delusional homers on this board are worse than the LOFs...

at least with LOFs I only had to be negative about Lin in an effort to bring the conversation back to a semblance of reality...
    but with the homers... I find myself arguing negatively on nearly every facet of the organization as they make their delusional declarations and ramblings...

I did block someone for my first time ever on CF - the most delusional homer... I'll give you a hint... "who could we have replaced James Harden with that could have gotten this teams of scrubs farther? Harden, CP3, MDA, DM and I understand how to build a championship team..." ... and things havent been as annoying...

I dont want to argue against the Rockets - but so much homerism resulting in such stupid assertions... cant we just keep it real and hope for the best?

...smh...

REEKO_HTOWN and Easy like this.
  9. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

DM'sVP likes this.
  10. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Hope so, part of me was hoping that Rockets let him go to Phoenix in a hand shake deal so they could easily absorb Anderson’s contract and pick up assets in December when he’s eligible to be traded. Maybe we can get Tyson chandler too.

11. ak99999

ak99999 Member

Not on defense, but Green will be better on offense!

12. Reeko

Reeko Member

lol dammit Garner :mad:

Garner likes this.
  13. topfive

topfive CF OG

Maybe there's no way anyone can say we are a better team right now than we were last year at a point where both Ariza and Luc were healthy and playing well. But we very well could be a better team now than we would have been THIS year with a re-signed and aging Trevor eating up $7M-$8M more cap room and a re-signed and aging Luc playing with a shoulder that prefers to spend its time out of socket.

OP has far too many all-caps, colors, big fonts, and bolds/italics for my taste, but he's absolutely right in saying that nearly $20M to re-sign two past-their-prime players would have not been smart.

My big question about losing those guys is that we lose a calm veteran presence in the locker room in Ariza. Then again, CP3 better be shoveling out bucketfuls of veteran knowledge for as much as we're paying him.

14. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

We just acquired a young healthy wing defender in Ennis. He might not have Trevor's veterans savvy but he's very stout. Ask Harden. He also can shot the three pretty good. Don't get me wrong Trev will be missed for sure. But its still funny to me that quite a few dogged the man. Now they are tripping that he's gone.
    Oh and another thing, those heavy minutes was bound to catch up with Trev one of these days. Game 7 the man didn't have any legs. His shot was flat and way off.

15. MystikArkitect

Trade Ryno for Bazemore, sign Melo and this team will be better than last years.

CP3
    Harden
    Bazemore
    Tuck
    Capela

Melo
    EGo
    Ennis
    Green
    Nene

dkoune and kjayp like this.
  16. samtaylor

samtaylor Member

I liked this post thread because of all the BOLD words.

Can't argue with being bold

topfive likes this.
  17. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

I love Ariza too but the notion that he hasn’t gotten paid is just silly. He’s made like 75 million to date. I don’t begrudge the guy for chasing money but it’s not like he was starving before.

Chamillionaire likes this.
  18. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

3/8ths of your rotation from last years team gone or yet to be signed in Ariza , Capela & Luc.

Signed two dudes at the veterans minimum , one of which cant shoot , has a youtube video of blown layups …. hoping like hell one of them outplays their contract.

Capela yet to be signed.

Cp3's hammy a year older ….

Yeah , I'd say they had gotten better at something , don't ask me what …. and its not better at winning basketball games.

kjayp likes this.
  19. LorneMalvo

LorneMalvo Member

Believing Gerald Green is even close to Ariza is slap-worthy as well.

REEKO_HTOWN likes this.
  20. yixiixiy

yixiixiy Member

Defining Ariza by his 0-12 night is as stupid as defining Harden by his game 6 against Khawi.