1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

It's Official : The Rockets have gotten BETTER this offseason

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by GranvilleWaders, Jul 12, 2018.

1. noppeper

noppeper Member

Can you guarantee he will not miss rotations and leave Klay or Steph open? Can you guarantee he will point out said missed rotations to his teammates and be a defensive leader on the court?

And here are Gerald Green's stats in Game 7, which I'm sure you were aware of too:

21 MIN, 1-7 FG, 1-4 3PT, 4 RB, 1 BLK, 0 STL

Since we are simplifying everything here, multiply those by 2 and if that's what he brings next year, then it will make you right that his percentages will be better. But what about those other things that I pointed out, that are important to team defense. Can you guarantee those? Is his 2/14 FG and .250 3PT% going to be such a difference maker?

2. hakeemthagreat

He's not done yet but you're already declaring the offseason a success? Ariza shot horrible game 7, but his defense that whole series was part of the reason we even got to game 7. His value isn't boxscore numbers. This post has Daryl Morey fanboy written all over it

Luc was regarded one the best defenders in the NBA before coming here. He already proved himself able to somewhat contain the elite superstars. Ennis hasn't proven any of this at this point. This is a HUGE question mark that you've already decided is a success. At this point we've lost 2 of 3 of our best most disciplined defenders, our starting center is tweeting sad emoji's while rejecting our 85 million dollar offer, Melo's still iffy & Ryan Anderson is still on the team. We are not better by any means until something changes. I'm convinced you may be on Morey's staff or part of his payroll..

noppeper likes this.
  3. tc0330

tc0330 Member

Thank God someone shared this.

4. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Nook, that really is interesting the Rockets are looking at backup PGs still. They probably project Melton as a backup SG offensively (defense on PGs). That is how the Rockets are using Melton in the summer league. And probably project MCW as a "swiss army knife" utility player at the 1-2-3. Sort of the "defensive Gerald Green" so to speak. So that could open up "true PG" minutes for someone.

I agree that an Anderson trade for a more accomplished small forward would be the best bet to add talent. At least enough talent to warrant STARTING player X ahead of Melo. I don't see the Rockets starting Ennis ahead of Melo (even though you could make that case in terms for a role perspective).

If the Rockets are still looking for Vet Min PGs. Here is a list of available ones.

Easy and Nook like this.
  5. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Do you think MDA should have reversed the minutes last year?? In the playoffs?

I'm a firm believer in addition by subtraction... just don't see that here.

HakeemOnlyFan and noppeper like this.
  6. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Excuses hurt more than the injuries do in the longrun. Everything is about being a better playoff team. James Harden had a MVP season... oh well!

7. GranvilleWaders

Unfortunately
    Well we lost by nine and Green gets us 6 pts right there just by actually hitting 2 buckets!! Then you have to increase the blocks by 2 because Ariza didn't get one. You lose a couple of steals. hmmm ..let's just take his +/- and double it. That would take him to +20 instead of +10 and we win the game by 1 point! Then we move on to the finals and sweep the Cavs. So yea..switch Ariza with Green and Rockets are NBA Champs!

8. noppeper

noppeper Member

Again, I really hope you are right, and that your (our!) simple math holds true. You are guaranteeing it, so it must be, right?

Can you please guarantee another thing? If GG is only getting 20 minutes a game next year, you won't start a "fire MDA thread" because he is not playing him enough?

9. broteinshake

broteinshake Member

Having an opinion doesn't make it official, though...

10. BigBum

BigBum Member

Please Stop Posting Misleading Thread.

New rosters are not smart defenders.

11. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Official has lost all meaning

HakeemOnlyFan likes this.
  12. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Glad someone acknowledged how dumb that Twitter breakdown of Luc is. As if one series injured washes away a whole season of positive contributions. If anything the story on those stats on that Luc was yet another key player we were missing in taking the champs to elimination.

Aruba77 likes this.
  13. gotsis

gotsis Member

To be fair, that's not what he is saying. He is saying that Green will get more minutes due to Ariza and Luc going away, thus making the team better.

I sure hope OP is right, because at max, we are kind of stagnating and putting any chance of incremental performance on the hands of a 34 ex superstar. Not to mention, I worry that an unhappy Capela (if he takes the QO) could be a big issue during the season.

14. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

[​IMG]

jch1911 likes this.
  15. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i've always been a critic of ariza here, specifically his wildly inconsistent streaky shooting and him being the most incompetent transition player i've ever seen at the wing position. and i'm a huge fan of GG. but no way GG replaces the nightly work that ariza puts in taking on the other team's best player. it's not even close.

Aruba77, Easy, hakeem94 and 1 other person like this.
  16. Toffeeone

Toffeeone Member

Listen, Luc and Ariza were important to us last season. Don't kid yourself to think Green can replace Ariza on switch defense or he be able to guard the star of the opposite team.

Aruba77 likes this.
  17. Reeko

Reeko Member

and play much worse defense, I guarantee that too

MarioKissoDeath likes this.
  18. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

I think it was more like Trevor was Shane Battier.

LMAM was more like Chuck Hayes with a 3 point shot last season.

jamisonrocket likes this.
  19. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

With Luc, he never showed that he is back from the injury. His playoff stats do carry weight, until he gets some better stats.

hakeem94 likes this.
  20. Chuck Nevitt

Chuck Nevitt Contributing Member

[​IMG]

seclusion likes this.