1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

It's Official...Boselli is 1st Pick in Expansion Draft

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Manny Ramirez, Feb 18, 2002.

1. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Here's the picks so far:

1. Tony Boselli, OT
    2. Ryan Young, OL
    3. Aaron Glenn, CB
    4. Gary Walker, DT
    5. Jamie Sharper, LB
    6. Jermaine Lewis, WR
    7. Marcus Coleman, CB
    8. Seth Payne, DT

For more, go here: http://espn.go.com/nfl/s/2002/0215/1333178.html

#1 Manny Ramirez, Feb 18, 2002
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2002
  2. Mr.Scary

Mr.Scary Member

They just got Sharper and Lewis from Baltimore. This looks very good for the Texans.

3. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

I like it :D Our O-line looks to be shaping up very well.

4. Holden

Holden Member

Sterling Sharpe says he thinks we will win our division next year.

i dont know if he was serious.:(

5. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

we won't win the division...but we won't finish last!! i'm on record!!!

i heard only one of their home games this year will be against a team that finished above .500 last year!! (Baltimore)

6. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

I'm pretty sure he was just playing to the crowd.

7. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

guys..i'm sincerely sooooo excited about the return of pro football to houston!!!

just had to share that!! can't wait!!

8. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

THey'll win 6 I predict.

I wish they had picked Armstead and Jamal Anderson.

9. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Wow, I knew there were a lot of good players available, but I would've thought some of them would be pulled back. Guess that shows how important salary is. I am excited about this team...they will not be anything like the 1st year Browns. I'd say at least 5 or 6 wins at minimum, which is pretty good for an expansion team.

The O-Line is going to be a huge advantage for this team. A great RB is not necessary if you've got holes to run through...just concentrate on getting a RB with good vision, and not as much physical skills.

10. mr_gootan

mr_gootan Member

[​IMG]

"I'm excited to be a Houston Texan."

11. azn-baller

azn-baller Member

man..i was hoping that the dirty bird would come to htown...

but it was a good draft all in all....our special teams will be off the hook to watch (lewis and rogers)....our defense already looks solid too.....still waiting for more big-name players to come...cant wait til football begins

12. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Armstead sucked last year. Registered a grand total of 65 tackles or something. He is also over 30, which basically meant no chance of the Texans drafting him.

Jamal would have been a decent calculated risk. He counts "only" 4 mill against the cap, and if he does overcome his ACL injuries, he could be a top 5-10 RB. However, the chances of him coming back strong are probably 25% or so.

13. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

It'll be good to see Texas Tech's Marcus Coleman in a Texans uniform. :)

I will consider the 2002 season wildly successful if the Texans win 4 games. Anything above that is gravy, but certainly 6 wins isn't out of the question.

14. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Bear in mind that the Texans are playing in the weakest division in football.

The Titans and Jags are both way over the cap (20+ mill), and will probably suffer from a talent standpoint.

The Colts may make some noise, but getting Dungy was a dumb move.

Yes, he is a defensive minded coach, but he had defensive players in TB.

The Colts have no defensive talent, and Dungy has a hell of a lot of work to do to win more than 10 games.

Plus, there's no guarantee that Edge James will be back to where he was.

15. LAfadeaway33

LAfadeaway33 Member

How old is Jamal Anderson? Isn't he over 30 too?

16. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

I was very impressed with the quality of the draft. Still have holes to fill though, esp at wr. I was hoping Derrick Alexander may have been healthy enough to take a chance on, but I guess not.

Anyone know of any FA's that the Texans might be eyeing? I keep hearing that FAgency is going to suck, but surely there should be someone out there that the Texans can lure in(sides Dilfer).

17. mfclark

mfclark Member

Anderson is 29, I believe. I could be wrong, but he's no older than 31 if he's not 29.

I would've loved for the Texans to have drafted him....would've forced me to figure out my alliances again. Always been an Anderson fan and he's partially why I'm a Falcon fan. Just a lot of questions around his injury, though, and there are decent RBs to be found elsewhere.

18. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Traditionally, running backs don't last nearly as long as other key positions on the offensive side of the ball. As a result, teams don't usually take RB's until they have established themselves. Taking a 29-year-old running back with injury problems in their first season probably wasn't an option.

19. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

The real FA's will start popping up when teams start waiving players for salary cap reasons. I've also heard that the current crop of FA's aren't anything to get excited about, but there are some pretty good players that can fill some of the holes we still have.

At running back, there will be Skip Hicks(unrestricted FA), Lamar Smith(unrestricted FA), Olandis Gary(restricted FA), Antowain Smith(unrestricted FA, will probably resign), Ricky Watters(unrestricted FA), & Garrison Hearst(unrestricted FA), among others. This isn't counting players that might be released.

At wide receiver, there will be Bert Emanuel(unrestricted), Az-Zahir Hakim(unrestricted), Jerome Pathon(unrestricted), Brandon Stokley(restricted), & Michael Westbrook(unrestricted), among others.

At quarterback, there will be Tony Banks(unrestricted), Randall Cunningham(unrestricted), Trent Dilfer(unrestricted), & Gus Frerotte(unrestricted), among others.

I'm sure we'll be able to make a trade or two as well.

Here's a link to the complete list of FA's as of now.

http://www.theredzone.org/02freeagents/

#19 Hottoddie, Feb 18, 2002
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2002
  20. NCSTATEFAN

NCSTATEFAN Member

Some other notable unrestricted FA's

Ricky Watters
    S. Cowart
    J. Trotter
    G. Crowell
    Shaun Williams
    Olin Kruetz