1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Its not the DUI, but HE LIED TO THE AMERICAN PEOPLE

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by jamcracker, Nov 5, 2000.

Tags:
  1. jamcracker

jamcracker Member

Bush said he was never in trouble aside from "a few youthful indiscretions". 30 is youthful?!?

If 30 is youthful, then "I did NOT have sexual relations with that woman" is a true statement. He never had intercourse, and only climaxed twice orally.

Why was Bill lying when he said he did not have relations, but Bush is allowed to slide on youthful indiscretions. A DUI arrest at 30 is not a youthful indiscretion; its a problem drinker getting caught.

(he did quit drinking... 10 years AFTER he got busted)

2. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

You mean politicians lie?? The HELL you say!

That's it, I'm writing in Jeff Balke for president

------------------
    If you don't eat your meat, you can't have any pudding!!

3. jamcracker

jamcracker Member

The point is everyone made a big deal about the fact that Clinton "lied to the American people", but Bush gets a free ride.

4. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Please, A-Train, NO!!!!! [​IMG]

------------------
    Save Our Rockets and Comets
    SaveOurRockets.com

5. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

One's a freak, the other's a drunk. They're both politicians and don't deserve the attention I'm giving them by responding to your thread.

So why am I doing it?

I have no idea.

------------------

A friend of mine graduated from law school in May, and he's had a heck of a time finding work....He might be a moron, though. (I don't think he is, but one never knows. He was a moron when we were five years-old.) -- mrpaige reflects on his friends

6. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Sorry, Jeff, you can't get out of this now...Seeing as you did such a great job on the Save Our Rockets campaign, me and the rest of the BBS posters here will make sure you become president and use your power as leader of the free world to ensure that the Rockets never EVER leave town...I even have a campaign sight up for you...

<a href="http://www.jeff2k.com">www.jeff2k.com</a>

------------------
    If you don't eat your meat, you can't have any pudding!!

7. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

8. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

Whether or not getting caught at 30 is a youthful indiscretion is debateable. I don't agree that it is a certain sign of a problem drinker, though.

------------------
    Hey, I've got a new signature!

9. TraJ

TraJ Member

Bill did more than lie; he committed perjury.

------------------

10. Christopher

Christopher Member

Firstly I should point out that as an Aussie I find the way the eletions are done in the US to be very different [​IMG]

What was Bush supposed to do:
    "Hi, Im George W Bush, and I would like to be your next president. But there is one thing you should know....when I was 30...."

If the worst thing he has done is had a few too many and then driven who cares! It was something like 24 years ago wasnt it? He did the crime and he made up for it.

------------------
    Your Starting Power Forward for the Clutch City Allstars

My Expert Opinion Of Steve Francis:Mate he is a special player!

11. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Christopher

Well I think there are 2 dynamics here
    1. What if he had killed someone. Is it a
    WHO CARES then?
    But more important.
    2. It is what he is running on . . His
    platform. Honesty, Integrity, Character
    and 'FAMILY VALUES'
    This situation shows that he has more in
    common with Clinton that he'd like to
    admit. his honesty, integrity, Character
    and his [as they said of Clinton] 'warped'
    Family Values.

He has admitted to doing cocaine [Which is
    worse than clinton's Mary Jane]

It's kind of that People in Glass houses thing.

Rocket River
    I wasn't this pissed since OLLI NORTH
    talked about HONESTY AND INTEGRITY.

------------------

12. Christopher

Christopher Member

Rocket River of course if he had killed someone I would have an attitude of "Who cares", infact we wouldnt be talking about him if he did kill someone.

But the faat is he didnt kill any one. He got caught drink driving. He paid the fine for it straight away (If you believe him) and that was it.Its 24 years down the track now.

On the platform he is running on. He hasnt lied about it has he? He just hasnt told everyone about it, which in my opinion is fair enough. It happened 24 years ago. It does hurt his intergity and character a little but I think you must go back to it happening 24 years ago. Alot have things will have happened to him in that time and Im sure (Just like every other person) is has changed.

Im not passionate at all about this, I just thought I'd get in on the debate. I just think it happened too long ago to really change a persons mind about him.

Edited:
    Just on the cocane thing (very tired and missed that part), I havent heard about that. I think if he had admitted it to the media himself then that could be cause to think about things a little more.

------------------
    Your Starting Power Forward for the Clutch City Allstars

My Expert Opinion Of Steve Francis:Mate he is a special player!

[This message has been edited by Christopher (edited November 06, 2000).]

13. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

I dont agree with the backlash this has caused.The fact is he got caught drinking and driving 24 years ago,and has been sober for the past 14.I am not condoning what he did,but the simple truth is he made a mistake and paid for it.What shall you have him do,drop out because of a mistake he made 24 years ago........I dont think so

------------------

14. Launch Pad

Launch Pad Contributing Member

Actually, he has lied on quite a few of his platforms. Three glaring examples that I can think of is that:

1) he still hasn't defended the criticism that his Social Security program promises the same money to two different groups of people. Instead, he just calls his opponent a liar in general, but won't refute the claim.

2) his claim that even though he is pro-life, he wouldn't necessarily appoint a pro-life Supreme Court justice (as if finding a pro-life conservative is hard or something [​IMG] ).

3) He took credit for bringing both political parties together to pass a Texas health reform bill that he vetoed! Yeah, he brought them together. Against a common enemy. Him!

With that said, I don't agree that one instance that happened 24 yrs ago is really important in judging the man and I am his biggest critic. Judge the man on the fact that he was a lousy student that wouldn't have gotten into an ivy league school without his father, a failed businessman that got his opportunity to run a business from his father, a lackluster governor, and the fact that he has lied numerous times and has the audacity to call his opponent a liar and serial exagerator (hey pot, it's me the kettle).

------------------

15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Well, The thing is this. . .You say
    he acknowledged it . .paid for it. . we
    should move on . .etc. . .

That would be fine and good with me
    If he and his party had not bashed
    Clinton about similar sh*t that happened
    in the past so VIGOROUSLY

Rocket River

------------------

16. davo

davo Contributing Member

Who cares about a drink driving conviction? Sorry jamcracker but I don't see it as lying. What do you propose - at the outset of any presidential campaign, each candidate comes clean and lists EVERY discretion that he MAY be of interest?

What is even more disturbing,is that it become public just days before the election. Whoever released it did so purely for political gain and in my mind is even more dispicable than the act of drink driving.

------------------
    Maybe all the rulers are wrong.
    Current Rocket's Salary & Contract Info

17. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Is this really any different than Clinton's pot smoking? The ironic thing about this election is that the Republicans have the ticket that, under a microscope, is really lacking in that crucial family values area.

I do think it is a fair point to make, however. Is it fair to criticize one candidate for something he did 25 years ago but give another a break? If we were all really fair-minded, shouldn't they both be judged based on their actions OR not judged at all?

That's my only issue here is that suddenly every Republican is coming out of the woodwork to defend Bush when they were ready to crucify Clinton for the same thing.

In addition, for all you Democrats in the crowd, if Clinton's pot smoke screen didn't bother you, neither should Bush's DUI. You have no right to take pot shots at him for that if you defended your own candidate for his indescretions.

I defended Clinton so I won't take shots at Bush for his issues. That was a long time ago. I'd prefer to deal with the issues not the ancient history.

Plus, I never cared that much about character in office. To me, you have to be a pretty tough, cold-hearted b*stard to be president anyway.

------------------
    Save Our Rockets and Comets
    SaveOurRockets.com

[This message has been edited by Jeff (edited November 06, 2000).]

18. outlaw

outlaw Member

You may not care about it davo but for the millions of Americans who have lost a loved one due to a drunk driver's irresponsibility, it could be an impoprtant issue.

If he had gone through AA or a similar program then I would feel better about it but do you guys really want a potential Boris Yeltsin situation in our country?

19. outlaw

outlaw Member

It's not that Bush was drinking. It's the fact he chose to get behind the wheel afterwards. I don't think you can equate this with Clinton or Gore's pot usage unless they were also driving while high. Drinking or smoking is a victimless act. DUI isn't.

20. ArtVandolet

ArtVandolet Member

Why would an AA attendee make you feel better than a person who hasn't had a drink in 14 years? I would think there are many AA attendees who dream of 14 years of sobriety. And Bush vs Yeltsin -- that's reeeaaaching.

------------------