1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

It's down to five!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by fadeaway, Aug 11, 2000.

1. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

That's right. Survivor is now down to 5 people. Only two more shows left to go.

What will happen next?

I believe that if Kelly doesn't win immunity next week, she's gone. However, if she does win immunity, then Sean will be the one to bite the bullet.

Rudy will win in the end, though!!

------------------
    My dream job is to be a Houston Rockets towel-boy.

2. Ace

Ace Contributing Member

What I find clever is that the producers kept hinting that Sean was the next to go after Kelly won the challenge.
    First, they showed Rich and Rudy talking about it and then during the actual voting clips they showed people voting for him. I was sure he was the next to go, yet they were able to surprise me again.

I think the only reason that Sean is still there is because he is such a moron. I don't disagree with his alphabet strategy in particular, but why in God's name must he tell the whole damn tribe? Sometimes it even seemed like he was bragging about it.
    The Tagi Alliance was able to use his idiotic behaviour to vote Jenna off...I'm still pissed about that one. Now both hot chicks are gone [​IMG]

I was happy that Sean won the trip to the yacht, just for the sole reason that I didn't want to see Rich do that stupid dance again. The subsequent smile I saw on his face shortly afterward really pissed me off. Of course Sean had to be an idiot and went on to invite Rich along...I would have gone with Colleen!
    I really hate that Richard guy. Not because of his startegies, but rather due to the fact that he thinks he's the greatest authority on the island, an essential member of the tribe, and the constant bragging that comes out of his mouth.

I agree with your theory. I think Sean has no further use to the tribe, but Richard and Susan will want to kick that Wigglesworth (man, what kind of a name is that?) chick out of there first for bailing on them. I can't wait to see that cat fight that will break out next week.

I sure as hell hope that Rudy wins it. He's the only guy I still kinda like. I actually wanted Gervase, Jenna, or Colleen to win the whole thing, but they were a tad too late with their plotting.

------------------
    Nederland 2002 Qualifying Campaign (Damn those penalties!!!)

Houston Rockets Space Center- Not just another ClutchCity.NET clone. We're that and more! :)

3. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Rudy is the man. After Rich gave Rudy his word about the two of them sticking together, Rudy said something like, "I would really hurt someone who gave me their word then changed their mind."

It did look like Sean was going to be next, but I think it was a ploy by Susan, Rudy, and Rich. They probably told Kelly it was going to be Sean. She voted for Sean along with Colleen, but the other 3 along with Sean voted for Colleen.

Rich and Sue will not win unless they are the last two. The jury decides the winner. There is no way that they will vote for Rich to win the million.

------------------
    "Hello! We're New Order. This is reading. You're the audience. Let's rock the ****ing house"

4. Dreamshake

Dreamshake Contributing Member

What is all this survivor stuff?

Seriously.

------------------
    "I have amazing, powers of observation"...Pink

5. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

I guess I need to get around to watching that Survivor show pretty quick then, huh?

I did see that Coleen on Craig Kilborn last night, but that's as close as I've come to watching Survivor so far.

------------------
    HoustonSportsBoard.com

6. DREAMer

DREAMer Member

I've watched every show, so far.

When it first came on I told my wife that I liked it for some reasons, but that I didn't like other aspects of the show.

Things I like:

I like the competitions they have
    I like seeing the different people interact
    I like the "survivor" aspect of it
    I like the grand prize
    I like (I think I will) the "jury" aspect of the show
    I like seeing who is able to handle the situation and who isn't

Things I dislike:

I dislike that they get friggin rain parkas
    I dislike that they get friggin "floaties" and life preservers
    I dislike some of the rewards they get
    I dislike the fact that they haven't hunted in the jungle yet
    I dislike the fact that they haven't ate a snake yet
    I dislike their voting process
    I dislike that it only comes on once a week. It should be on at least twice (We only get to see approximately 40 minutes out of 72 hours)
    And, I hate the coniving, back-stabbing, aspect that brings out the worst in people

Maybe, the next one they do, they should do the kicking off like that show "Big Brother" (which I think is the most boring thing on TV) by nominating two people and letting the viewers pick who goes.

------------------
    I have a dream.........his name's Hakeem.
    DREAMer's Rocket Page

7. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

There would be a problem if Survivor copied the format of Big Brother. Survivor is taped months before its actually aired. Survivor 2: The Australian Outback is going to be filmed in November but will not be aired until late Jan/early Feb. Each Big Brother episode is taped days in advance. This way the audience can vote on who to kick out. I like the Survivor format. I'm sure that there will be rules changes for Survivor 2.

------------------
    "Hello! We're New Order. This is reading. You're the audience. Let's rock the ****ing house"

8. DREAMer

DREAMer Member

I realize "Survivor" is taped, but who says it has to be.

It could be tape delayed, and we'd still be able to choose from two nominated cast members, if the delay was only a few days or maybe a week....

------------------
    I have a dream.........his name's Hakeem.
    DREAMer's Rocket Page

9. dc sports

dc sports Member

I think it has to do with the endurance of the people. The 39 days apparently pushed the people to their physical limits. Dirk had severe malnutrition, and he wasn't on but half the time. Colleen was there 33 days, and it will take over a year for the scars to heal on her legs.

But through the magic of taping they were able to turn it into 14 weeks. If they went real time, some of these people would be dead.

------------------
    Stay Cool...

10. keeley

keeley Contributing Member

...then the show lives up to its name.

------------------
    Clutch Goons, Inc.

11. BrianKagy

BrianKagy Contributing Member

I'm not sure if this worries me or not.

As a nation, we should all have a shared experience, something that helps us overcome our differences. There should be a mass culture that we can all tap into, in order to relate to one another.

What am I to do when that shared culture becomes progressively composed of smutty and/or intellectually empty television shows?

I'm just slack-jawed in amazement at what passes for entertainment nowadays. Or maybe it's that, and equal amounts of amazement at the sheer apathy towards politics and civic virtue.

------------------
    I didn't use the cocaine to get high, I just liked the way it smelled.

12. fadeaway

What am I to do when that shared culture becomes progressively composed of smutty and/or intellectually empty television shows?

Here's what to do:

Retreat into your own bitter fantasy world where you're superior to everyone else and leave the boorish masses to their doldrums.

That way, you get to skip merrily within your pleasant, if illusionary existence, and the rest of us don't have to listen to your high and mighty, stuffed-shirt complaining.

Just a suggestion.

------------------

[This message has been edited by fadeaway (edited August 14, 2000).]

13. fadeaway

Here's a suggestion: learn to spell, d******d.

Well, that's a mature reply. I guess round 1 goes to Kagy. [​IMG]

I didn't say I was superior to anyone-- just that I'm evidently not as easily amused.

Oh, hogwash. You feel that these intellectually empty television shows are so beneath you to the point where you are slack-jawed in amazement at any idiot who is base enough to be entertained by such drivel. You are such a snob.

Besides, what the hell is wrong with Survivor, anyway? It's not like we're talking about some mindless sitcom. Survivor is part game show, part drama, and part psychological study involving an interesting group of real people. Then again, I suppose that real people aren't enough to amuse someone of such stellar intellect as yourself, right?

But man, something sure hit a nerve there, didn't it?

Not really. I just hate people who are full of themselves.

What's new on WWF Smackdown?

I don't watch it, so I wouldn't know. What's new on the 'Self-righteous egotists' network?

------------------

14. Ace

Ace Contributing Member

Kagy,

I respect your opinion and I am not offended by your seemingly insulting comments. I am always amused by the jabs you throw our way, which always seem to be done for the fun of it. Very clever most of the time.

Yet you will always run the risk of bumping into someone like fadeaway. I agree with many of the points he made, yet I think he might have overreacted a tad.
    I understand where he's coming from, though. You do have a tendency to leave the impression that you disregard others because of opposite opinions. I guess you might want to work on the manner in which you express yourself in order to avoid senseless arguments.

We like the show and you don't. So what? No big deal. As long as we don't take it to a personal level.

I won't try to convince you that Survivor is a good show, as I see your opinions have been made clear and I trust they have a logical foundation.

------------------
    Nederland 2002 Qualifying Campaign (Damn those penalties!!!)

Houston Rockets Space Center- Not just another ClutchCity.NET clone. We're that and more! :)

15. Gascon

Gascon Member

I haven't actually seen Survivor, but it sounds interesting if done well. I'm constantly disgusted with what passes itself off for entertainment. My favorite examples of mindless trash is just about anything on the so-called "Music Television Network" or "MTV". I didn't think it could get any worse than "The Real World"......then they came up with "Undressed." My television watching is pretty much limited now to ESPN and Comedy Central. Jon Stewart is the man.

------------------
    "Have we not here the best cards in the game to win this easy match played for a crown?....."

Bill Shakespeare

16. BrianKagy

BrianKagy Contributing Member

Here's a suggestion: learn to spell, d******d.

I didn't say I was superior to anyone-- just that I'm evidently not as easily amused. But man, something sure hit a nerve there, didn't it?

What's new on WWF Smackdown?

------------------
    I didn't use the cocaine to get high, I just liked the way it smelled.

17. dc sports

dc sports Member

Brian,

I think people are just sick of much of the television prime time shows out there. The networks are trying so hard to follow certain formulas, and to find shows that, on paper, should appeal to everyone. As a result, they fail everyone. (Personally, I think they are missing the point, because everyone has a little different taste.)

There really aren't any good sitcoms being produced now. Most of the ones coming out now are uninventive, and concentrate on silly themes and one-liners. Only a few shows like Frasier, Friends, the Simpsons, etc. have been successful -- and those appeal very much to certain groups.

The 'soap' primetime shows seem to follow the same themes. Beverly Hills 90210, 7th Heaven, Party of 5, Dawson'Creek, etc. etc. do the same themes with a different cast -- You have your teen smoking episode, the drug episode, the friend dying episode, the AIDS episode, the rape/date rape episode. And they are all (well, mostly) the same themes that have been delt with for years -- you can see the same themes in re-runs of Family Ties or Facts of Life.

People want something inventive, different. Survior is unique -- something real, and unpredictable. It's been built into an event -- almost like watching the NCAA playoffs, you are dying to see who comes out on top. You have your favorites, but there really is no way to tell who's going to win.

Not to mention it does something the networks never really tried before -- to have a show specifically targeted to fill the summer season besides re-runs.

------------------
    Stay Cool...

[This message has been edited by dc sports (edited August 14, 2000).]