1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

It's been 1 year, since Tilman. How's he doing versus Less?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by heypartner, Sep 5, 2018.

?

How you like versus Less

1. Much more than Less

21 vote(s)
    15.6%
  2. More than Less

41 vote(s)
    30.4%
  3. More or Less

59 vote(s)
    43.7%
  4. Less is More

9 vote(s)
    6.7%
  5. Less is Much More

5 vote(s)
    3.7%
  1. baubo

baubo Member

They’re about the same to me. Both have a lot invested into the Rockets both as fans and as businesses. Neither had super deep pockets but also not cheap. Both let Morey do what he does for the most part.

To me how Fertila deals with the team in 2-3 years when CP3 presumably falls off and the team in repeater tax for a while will tell how truly dedicated he is. If he’s willing to eat money and not send away 1st round picks to get out of the tax, then I’d put him over les.

2. rhino17

rhino17 Member

He’s done well

His restaurants are still unforgivably terrible

dharocks and Deckard like this.
  3. Know Your Role

Letting Hakeem end up a Toronto Raptor was a tragedy of unspeakable proportions.

4. Exiled

Exiled Member

Le$ was a smart owner and an underrated co-GM.

5. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

It's hard to complain.

In a perfect world you would have an owner willing to write a blank check and not be concerned with the luxury tax, but we don't live in a perfect world. Literally every owner in the league starts to balk when the tag starts getting high. He's clearly about winning and willing to pay some tax money to make it happen.

6. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Tillman is not responsible for harden winning mvp. Just like les was not responsible for hakeem winning the ring or Just dominating 93-94.
    He is also not responsible for the most wins in Franchise history.
    Besides a few charitable things what is he doing differently besides being the new name signing the checks?

7. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

One of Les’s famous moves was promising Charles Barkley 3 million dollars next year if he takes less money to sign Scottie Pippen.

What Les did was pretend that it never happened.
    He took that three million to buy a future home in Florida for the Rockets championship trophies.
    And a giant piggy bank for all the yen he got from China.
    He milked Yao Ming like the Borden’s cow

8. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I don't like what he does. But then again what can you expect from a lower class billionaire.

9. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Jeremy Lin. Don’t forget about that garbage contract.

tinman likes this.
  10. Game7

Game7 Member

Came here to say 0 rings for T-man. I am well aware this has been covered. Carry on.

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

By legit contender you mean legit championship team who has at least won one.

Contending won't be enough. And even then they might not keep the likes of Ariza and Luc at any cost.

12. curbur

curbur Member

I cut Tillman off in the Randall's parking lot at Shepherd@Westheimer 2-3 years ago pretty bad.. but overall I've been happy with him as the owner. He didn't get out of the car, but seemed to have some choice words for me that I could make out through his light windshield tint.

13. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Incomplete score. Hard for him to put his stamp on the team - positive or negative - when the previous owner secured the major contracts of a contender core, you have Morey in place and locked up, Harden is at worst a top 3 player and the franchise is extremely profitable.

This season, he has approved a bunch of buyout candidates who Morey pursued and picked. Sometimes when your favorite restaurant goes with 1-ply tp instead of 2-ply - and they proclaim "look, it's the same plus it's lighter!" - it can be a good thing. But you don't really know until Charles Barkley takes the mother of all dumps and reaches for that 1-ply.

Frankly, I need to see what we do in the Finals and next summer to give him a grade. When you inherit a team that took the Warriors to 3-2 before CP3 went down, then essentially any less performance than that is unacceptable. This team should win it all because that's what would've happened IF we were able to retain everyone except Ariza, while adding Melo and Ennis.

14. Handles

Handles Member

He rode momentum through year one. To be expected. Les sold the team at its pinnacle of value. Everyone knew we were already contenders (except ESPN, those dummies). Tilman is just along the ride for now.

We should revisit this thread in 5 years, once our core players start to shuffle. We’ll have enough evidence by then to tell. Will Tilman pay for picks, fill the lower bowl, change the uniforms, stay out of controversy, and/or bring a championship to Houston? Only time will tell, but I know I’m going to enjoy the next few years while we wait and see.

15. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

this probably deserves its own thread, don't you think?

16. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

Getting drunk at a bar and spilling the beans ?

Tailman Fogetta >>>>> Last Salamander

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

more like a hidden, Draconian Co-GM.

BamBam likes this.
  18. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

I saw Tillman Fertitta at a grocery store in Houston yesterday. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn’t want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything.

He said, “Oh, like you’re doing now?”

I was taken aback, and all I could say was “Huh?” but he kept cutting me off and going “huh? huh? huh?” and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Milky Ways in his hands without paying.

The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like “Sir, you need to pay for those first.” At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter.

When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually “to prevent any electrical infetterence,” and then turned around and winked at me. I don’t even think that’s a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.

By the way this may or may not be true

19. hakeemthagreat

Laundry's is the go-to seafood place

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

If you are telling it, I was willing to believe you but the last sentence is a weird one.

Sounds like a joke story I was not getting.

Roomba likes this.