1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Its amazing what grizz fans think!!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by wizard, Feb 24, 2000.

1. wizard

wizard Member

My cousin in vancouver actually thinks that Bibby is better then Francis. That thought alone makes me sick to the stomach. I couldnt even argue with the guy because i was so astonished! Wow its gonna take me while to recover from this one.

2. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

that one is pretty funny. All that losing can get into ones head and mess em up.

3. wizard

wizard Member

not yet recovered but its real fun to talk to my cousins in vancouver cause one of them is close to Felipe Lopez. He gets her seats to all the games and gave her his autographd jersey and card for her birthday. So next year when they play in vancouver, i can get nice seats and sport my francis jersey. Sound dangerous? Cant wait..hopfully i can get some locker room access. Hopefully lopez dosent get traded in the summer. Back to this bibby vs. Francis issue...hold on i have to puke!

4. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

Yeah, and Sean Bradley is a cornerstone player!

5. 3Rings

3Rings Contributing Member

Hoop-T,
    Don Nelson actually made that statement!!!

Bradley, Robert "ICE" Pack and Erick Strickland will be cornerstones of the Mavericks. Any wonder, they are the worst team in the nineties?

6. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

Hey 3-Rings, I live in Dallas, and I remember when he said that. I was amazed. Bradley, a cornerstone! I love it!

Is it any wonder they have been rebuilding for a solid decade?

Peace,

------------------
    HOOP-T

Hey Shaq, Acme called, and they want their bricks back!

7. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I'll tell you what wizard.

Next time you talk to your cousin, ask him to explain again for you the rationale for picking Bibby ahead of Vince Carter. Then laugh at him when he pounders the following line-up they could have had:

Shareef
    Vince
    Francis (he certainly would have tried that out for awhile)

8. Azim da Dream

Azim da Dream Member

The only thing I can say to that Heypartner is . . . Damn!

But hey, don't forget the year when the Grizz chose Antonio Daniels at #4 in '97. They could have easily chose Tracy McGrady, who was not chosen until something like the 7th pick! As for Francis being in that lineup, you have to remember that with Vince and 'Reef together, the Grizz would have not have been bad enough to be able to be in that position to draft Franis. But with no probably decent PG who knows. . .

Man, these "what-if" scenarios may be a waste of time but damn are they interesting [​IMG]

Azim da Dream

------------------
    No guts, no glory, no brain, same story.

9. wizard

wizard Member

heypartner,
    good point i totally forgot about carter being drafted behind bibby. ahahahah pathetic! My cousin just didnt learn when francis scorched them in their arena. The losing seasons and the rain has gotten to them. Even though i think its a beautiful city.

10. Pass 1st shoot 2nd

Pass 1st shoot 2nd Contributing Member

O.K., before I get stoned here, let me tell y'all my views on Francis: he's explosive, a good scorer and the futute of this team. BUT as far as pure point guards go, Bibby fits that distinction much better than Francis. Francis makes judgment mistakes that lead to turnovers; a quality not absent from Bibby, but to a much lesser degree than we see with Francis. Again, I'd rather have Franchise any day of the week, but I see the Grizzlies' notion of wanting Francis to play the 2 spot. With that said, I'll take the criticisms for what they're worth...

Pass 1st, shoot 2nd.

11. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

#1 - Francis is better than Bibby will ever be.

BUT - In their defense, when Bibby came out he was billed as the greatest thing since sliced bread.
    In fact, he was billed as Jason Kidd with a jumper, and _many_ teams were tripping all over themselves to get him.
    In fact, here is a link to some pre-draft comments by fans: http://metalab.unc.edu/craig/draft/1998_draft/Players/bibby.htm
    Also, leading up to the 1997 draft, Antonio Daniels was the hottest rising unknown, sort of the "star" of the 1997 draft. Although I think there were many reasonable questions as to how good he was going to be, I don't think you can fault the Grizz too much for selecting him.
    In the cases of both Daniels & Bibby, they went for what was regarded as the best point guard left on the board, and came up slightly short in both cases, though Bibby certanly qualifies as an above average PG.
    Here is, BTW, a link to pre-draft fan comments about Antonio Daniels: http://metalab.unc.edu/craig/draft/1997_draft/scout/pg.html#Daniels

Hindsight is always 20/20