1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

It was a good year...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SpaceCity, Apr 10, 2000.

1. SpaceCity

SpaceCity Contributing Member

Well, the season is all but up and we will not be in the playoffs for the first time since 1992. This is only the fourth time in 20 years that we didn't make the playoffs. This is our first losing season since the 83-84 season.

Normally this would be depressing news.

But for various reasons I'm finding myself quite happy. In fact, I haven't had such high hopes for the next season since we got Barkley in 96. That was the year after our 2-time Championship Rockets got embarrassed by the Sonics by being swept in the second round.

This is a season that will be looked back upon as a turning point. If you think about it, we are a pretty lucky bunch. If you consider that we were supposed to be starting the season with Hakeem, Charles and Scotty and ended up with none of that, we should be pretty happy with how it all turned out.

Being the Rudy supporter that I am, I give all credit to the coaching staff. At the begining of the season many people were sure that Rudy needed to go. many feslt that he was one-dimensional and unwilling to change. Many felt that he was simply riding on Hakeem's back, or rather riding on the back of a system that benefitted Hakeem throughout his career.

The plan was to ease Steve, Cuttino and Shandon into the team by mixing speed and athletecism with the tried and true half-court offense that we all knew and loved. [​IMG]

It made sense to me. On paper, both Hakeem and Barkley had the ability to still dominate the majority of teams in the low post. Even last year Charles still had much success with his "backin it in" play. Hakeem was showing signs of getting his legs back. Mixing Dream's blocking with Barkley's rebounding meant that there would have been many fast-break opportunities for the young 'uns.

In true Rockets fashion, things did not go as planned.

Hakeem had injuries as usual and only ended up having a season that he and all of us would love to forget. (One of the many reasons why I want him back next year). Barkley was only around long enough to steer Steve Francis in the right general direction. Unfortunately, his career ended just as he was gelling with the new team and vice versa.

Given the situation, we could have given up and coasted to the lottery. But unlike San Antonio, we have a crew of coaches that many teams would die for. Rudy and co. simply threw out the old playbook and started fresh, something that many thought he was incapable of.

We will look back on this year and smile one day. We will be pround that we managed to retool out team and offense in one single year. We will have done what many teams have been trying to do for years: we rebuilt.

I said at the beginning of the season that no matter how we finish, I'm sure that I will enjoy watching the young new players grow as a team.

I was right. I've had a blast this year, playoffs or not.

We have watched the transition from one generation to another. We have witnessed the Rockets transition from a slow, banging, half-court-dominated, three-point-shooting team to the fast, high-flying, fast-breaking team that it is now.

I expect that we will be back in the playoffs next year. I also expect that many teams will be starting to fear us. I can easily see the West being fought over by Houston and LA, (just like the old days!). These are the two teams that have a solid foundation with many years of potential success ahead of them.

Seattle can only ride Gary Payton's back for so long.

Portland missed the boat this year. I don't see them getting any stronger than what tey are now for a while. Scottie's contract will ensure that they can't spend money on someone else.

Sacremento will not be a contender any time soon.

Phoenix will always make noise but will they ever find the right line-up?

San Antonio will not have the twin towers together for long. Even if they did, they still won't have good guards.

Minnesota may actually be up there fighting for the West with us and LA. Garnett is an amazing talent. Surround him with the right guys and they just may be making a serious run at the title.

What I will enjoy most of all is the implosion and self-destruction of the Utah Jazz. This is it folks. There will not be any more shots at the title for Stockton and Malone. Once those guys are gone Salt lake will be the Minnesota fo the 90s. And i will love every minute of it!

So anyway, i just wanted to express my positive feelings toward a team that dealt with more negativity than any one team should.

I am proud and happy to be Rockets fan. I look forward to working towards another couple of Championships.

I also happy that we still will have more to brag about than San Antonio, Seattle, and Utah.

We can always tell San Antonio: "Yeah?! Well at least we followed our Championship* with another one the following year just in case no one believed it the first time around."

Keep the faith, people. We'll contending again before you know it.

------------------
    SpaceCity of
    RocketFuel

2. Nolen

Nolen Contributing Member

SpaceCity- please, post here more often. I know you're here. You're needed.

------------------

3. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That was all very good. I agree completely. This season was actually better than some of the ones when we made it to the playoffs. The late 80's/really early 90's saw us coming in as the 8th seed, with little hope of even winning one game against the Lakers, or some other powerhouse. Who wants that year after year? I am excited about next year, but still enjoy watching every game this year.

------------------
    rimbaud post-a-thon 2000

4. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

SpaceCity...huge props to you man. This was the best post I've seen in a long time.

The truth is, I have not had as much fun watching the Rockets in a season, as I have this year. Sure, we're not in the playoffs, but as SpaceCity so eloquently put it, this season was "the turning point."

Teams like the Celtics, Clippers, Mavericks, and Nuggets have been searching for years for that right group of guys to rebuild around. Yet, in our first season of rebuilding we have found them.

In one season, we have seen the evolution of Steve Francis from a talented kid into a bonafide NBA leader. We have watched Shandon Anderson develop into a consistent all-around performer. We have seen Cuttino Mobley develop from what I thought a self-centered individual into one of the game's best creators. We have watched Moochie Norris and Kenny Thomas round out the roles. We have seen Walt Williams catch fire. We have experienced the first season of what will develop into something special.

Sure, the average fan may not see what we see. Sure, the average fan may think of this as just another lottery team, but our time will come. It feel's good to be on wagon from the start, riding through the growing pains, and into greener pastures. I sincerely believe that with this current cast of characters, and a major addition along the way, this team will again rise to the top.

These guys don't give up.

------------------
    $42million. 7 years.

5. alaskansnowman

Very good post. I had so much fun watchin the rox this year. Sure it was a lil exasperating, but there were so many more exciting moments. Whenever Francis takes off for a fastbreak, whenever there's a perfect alley-oop to Cato, whenever Francis takes over the game... all those moments made this season so fun. It was much better than our old, boring, stagnant offense. Can't wait till next year baby!

------------------
    treasurer of the moochie norris fan club

6. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

Great post, but I'm not so sure Portland has missed the boat yet. They are still better than any team in the East, so they have a chance if they can make it through the West. Remember, the playoffs haven't started yet. You can't just hand the title to L.A. yet. There is a reason that they actually play the playoffs.

------------------
    If the Rockets had drafted right...and made the right trades they could have had Jordan, Hakeem, and Drexler on the same team...the whole time...REALLY!! Then I woke up to reality.

7. rocketsfan34

rocketsfan34 Contributing Member

I loved this season...it separated the true rockets from bandwagoners of 93'-95'.

I can't wait till the offseason...

------------------
    Check out the best source for draft info.

Draftsource.net

8. haven

haven Member

I've loved this year as well, actually. Have you guys felt the GENUINE excitement we've had this year?

So many times in the past, I've seen lesser teams with promising rookies and thought "man, what I wouldn't give to have him play for Houston." Now, the Rockets have Steve Francis-one of the most electrifying players in the game.

Shandon and Cuttino are certainly fun (well, when Cuttino's not jacking up long 3's). It's been hard watching Hakeem struggle so much-that's been even rougher than losing, to be honest.

I'm not too disappointed with not making the playoffs... so long as we don't become a perennial doormat [​IMG]. I have faith that we won't; this seems to be a talented and rapidly improving club.

------------------

9. outlaw

outlaw Member

When I was 17,
    I drank some very good beer.
    I drank some very good beer
    I purchased with a fake ID
    My name was Brian McGee
    I stayed up listening to Queen
    When I was 17.

...As long as Pippen doesn't get ring #7 I'll be a happy camper.

10. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

After gaining enormous amounts of respect for Dream, Elie and RudyT, I was ecstatic to see Charles sign with the Rockets. As my hero, I was anxious to see him get that title chance that escaped him in 93.

I gave every ounce of my spirit to the Rockets chances with Dream and Charles in the lineup. I am astounded to see the team before me, a team that would have destroyed the Rockets of last year, a team that makes basketball fun. I will miss Charles, without a doubt. But without a doubt, I'd much rather watch this chemistry out on the floor.

------------------
    for Jenna's next trick, she'll convince us all that Karl didn't threaten to leave the Jazz, or for that matter that he ever played with the Jazz