1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

It must be nice to get paid 72 million for an internship on how to become an NFL quarterback.

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by deb4rockets, Oct 31, 2016.

1. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Rick and Bill passed up so many quarterbacks in the drafts who they wouldn't have had to pay 72 million to teach how to be a quarterback. It's hard to stomach paying so much money to one of the worst quarterbacks in history so far.

Osweiller is so hard to watch at times, and we will get the pleasure of watching him learn and grow right before our eyes. We have no choice, and neither does Bill. All we can do is hope that he becomes more accurate with the long passes, and stops throwing as many interceptions as touchdowns. At least he stays positive, and has confidence in himself, and doesn't curl into a ball and wipe his tears.

On the bright side, we have won 5 games at home, beat all the teams in our division, and lead Indy by 2 games so far. It almost seems hard to believe with a quarterback who is floating above the bottom of the pack.

2. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Relax, it's not your money. Good and bad starting QBs get paid in the NFL, get over it. Besides this isn't about money at all. It comes down to him playing well or not period. You and everyone else would be just as upset at his QB play and calling for a change if he was on a rookie contract. No one would accept his current form even if he were free.

3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

There's a salary cap, so the way money is spent does matter.

mario_v likes this.
  4. ipaman

Find me an good QB that's cheap or will stay cheap? You won't so like I said, it doesn't matter. In the NFL QBs get paid period. It's how you spend your money on the rest of the roster that's really important.

Tom Brady and the Pats don't apply because he takes pay cuts but they pay him under the table.

5. Mr. Clutch

Good QBs don't stay cheap

We're in a situation where we have a bad expensive QB

6. ipaman

Exactly, he's been paid (like all QBs) now he has to play good to complete the equation. But don't act like you would be perfectly happy with cheap bad QB play. So what does that mean, PLAY matters not PAY. Bringing up PAY when a QB plays bad is lazy.

DonnyMost likes this.
  7. Nimo

Nimo Member

As bad to average as Brock has been, I totally understand the Osweiller move. He was widely regarded as the best free agent QB and they didn't have a high enough draft pick to move up to get Wentz. You can argue that they should have gotten Dak but remember that 32 teams passed on him (including the Cowboys in 3 rounds).

8. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I'm happy for Brock. I don't feel sorry for a billionaire owner like McNair at all.

I feel sorry for those hardcore fans who have to defend their team to their Cowboy friends.

pugsly8422 and red like this.
  9. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I really wish people understood the concept of guaranteed vs. non-guaranteed money.

Bobbythegreat and Joshfast like this.
  10. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Yeah; I don't remember too many people dumping on the deal at the time. They're now confusing intentions with results - it hasn't worked out yet; it may never work out. But Brock Osweiler is a better option than (insert the name of any other experienced, available NFL QB they could have signed).

And here's the other thing... other than Bortles*, Garapolo and/or Carr... the Texans didn't really pass over "so many quarterbacks" - once you get into the third round and beyond... those are, at best, crapshoots. The Cowboys, who did not have Prescott anywhere near the top of their board (they actually had - and wanted - Cook ahead of him), got really lucky, helped by having a boss OL that makes *everything* easier.

(And Bortles means no Clowney, a deal *no one* here would make right now.)

Bobbythegreat, Joshfast and Nimo like this.
  11. MystikArkitect

The guarantee is still crazy considering we gave it to what looks like a newborn giraffe out there.

12. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

It's like people have been asleep for 40 years and woke up the day the Texans signed him. "They paid him how much?! Why, that's fifty times what the Packers are paying Lynn Dickey!! Why in my day, they didn't need fancy face masks! And the men were men, I tell ya!"

He wasn't going to walk away from a great situation in Denver for Dan Orlovsky money... He was 25 and had played promisingly on a very good team, helping them win 5 of 7. He was going to get paid, yo.

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

You mean to say 37 million....there's really no need to inflate it to make it sound bigger than it is.

14. mario_v

mario_v Member

They could've just drafted a good cheap QB like Carr or Prescott and not have to worry about paying them for another 4-5 years.

15. Mr. Clutch

Just needs to get better every week

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-det-hou-grades-texans-defense-stifles-stafford-lions/

Quarterback grade:
    Brock Osweiler, 69.1

After last week’s rough performances in a loss to Denver, there where many question marks surrounding Brock Osweiler and whether he’ll ever be able to justify the big contract the Texans gave him this offseason, but against the Lions he was able to take some steps forward to show that while he may never warrant the deal he got, he can still be an effective QB. Osweiler was pressured on 62.5 percent of his dropbacks, but Osweiler was able to complete 64.7 percent of his passes under pressure for 122 yards.

16. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

Much better, seems like he took what the defense gave him. Although Detroit D is pretty bad so that is another red flag against a crappy secondary. He did just enough and it helps when our running game is doing well in the 2nd half. Hitting TE's with efficiency is a welcome addition to the offense. Now he needs to work on getting our receivers involved. I liked how they were getting Hopkins going across the field although I worry Brock is going to lead him into a Landon Collins type in the middle of the field.

A somewhat promising sign is that Phillip Rivers really struggled as bad as Brock did with more weapons in Denver. It is proving to be an impossible place to get going on offense so that game can almost be erased from memory. Hopefully Brock can erase it from his memory considering he played that way in front of thousands of fans that are jealous he is a millionaire.

Anyways, I am giving Brock and the Texans (O'brien) some more time after the BYE to see what new wrinkles they can add and if they can get the Hop/Brock connection going finally. Bill has done well coming out of the BYE week the last 2 years so I expect that to continue. Hopefully we get some wildcat with Braxton, screen passes to Miller/Grimes, Miller lined up in the slot one on one with a linebacker, etc. Not sure why we haven't seen much "outside" of the box playcalling but it could really loosen up the weaknesses of our offense if we can scheme towards our strengths instead of keep playing to our weaknesses which are long drawn out pass plays that take too long to materialize.

17. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I think Osweiler is about as good of a bet as you were going to get in terms of signing a FA QB.
    • Spent 4 years as an understudy (something that tends to benefit QBs)
    • 4 years learning from Peyton Manning
    • 1 year learning from Gary Kubiak
    If it doesn't work, fine. But I can't say I disagree with the strategy or effort.

Sajan and pugsly8422 like this.
  18. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Fans hate this deal more than " 6 years / 42 mill. " 7 blocks........& a new deal.

19. tochiee22

tochiee22 Contributing Member

Could've had Carr.
    But noooooooo. Franchise was too scared

Creepy Crawl likes this.
  20. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I guarantee you this place would have been apoplectic if Derek had his early struggles with the Raiders here.... or even with gaudy stats, his 10-22 record as a starter the last 2 years would have been met with extreme criticism.

As for Brock, I don't see him learning how to be a QB as much as I seem him struggling to fit in to "this" system, with "this" set of WR's. At times, he's making reads and delivering tight throws exactly where they should be. At other times, he's running like a chicken with his head cut-off and fumbling the ball while trying to throw it.

It seems like one huge mental hurdle that he's trying to work through. His brain is getting in the way. I've actually been more impressed with his arm and agility moreso than any of the other Texans QB's... but we all know that its the mental aspect (and not just the physical skills) that truly sets apart the elite from the rest of the pack.

Htownballer38 and Hank McDowell like this.