1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

It makes no sense starting Harden and Gordon

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Levi, Jul 3, 2016.

1. Levi

Levi Member

Harden will already play point on offense like he has been for years
    Beverley is the offensive SG, defensive PG. this is how it should be. we should bring Gordon off the bench as the primary ball handler (don't get me wrong, he should play with Harden, just not start)

2. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Gordon isn't a primary ball handler...

He plays like a SG on offence. So what is the issue with him starting next to Harden?
    The downside is that he has to guard a PG defensively, but Ariza already picks up the best PGs anyway, or if Beverley has them, he just constantly fouls them.

3. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Gordon could be an outstanding 6th man off the bench

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Beasley demoted to 7th man?

5. Ratman

Ratman Member

Gordon is gonna get alot more minutes then bev, hes going to have to play by harden alot, as long as he's healthy. I agree maybe not start him but doesn't really matter to be honest.

6. StrawberryJamm

I like the idea of playing Gordon, Harden, Ariza, and McDaniels together with our best big at the time and switching everything on D.

7. dream2franchise

Lots of minutes, lots of options. MDA will figure it out.

With Gordon, it's nice to have someone that can do something with the ball once the defense closes out on the three. That wasn't Beverley's strong suit.

Starting him could give us an offensive attack right out the gate. Punch 'em in the mouth with scoring, then bring in Bev to harass second units.

I dunno.

8. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

Agreed, they should have very little overlap with both of them on the court.

9. Newlin

Newlin Member

I'm sure Morey has this all figured out. I doubt Morey would get players that didn't fit together. Right?

10. chandlerbang21

Beverly is starting

11. Russjr2

Russjr2 Contributing Member

Waaaay to early to start passing judgement on who plays best together. I think we will get another PG before the season starts. As long as we have multiple players that can create I'm ok with trying to figure out what lines up to play. That will work itself out during the season.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Sure it does we're looking to field an all no defense team so we'll start

Gordon
    Harden
    Brewer
    Beasley
    Anderson

It'll be a laugh riot.

13. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

If need be. Bottom line, the guy can score and that skill will be useful off the bench. Beasley & Gordon could carry a second unit. Nothing wrong with adding talent.

14. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Still got about $10 million & trades so management isn't done.

15. JD88

JD88 Member

Ariza guards the better of the PG and SF. Harden guards the SF if Ariza does not. Gordon guards the weakest of the 3.

Don't see an issue.

In fact, I'd like to see Harden guard Steph. Either he stays in front of him, or he gets embarassed. I bet he'd play D then.

16. Levi

Levi Member

Harden was a good defender in 2015. I personally think he will be again this year, he just stopped caring because his teammates kept losing him games.
    Gordon is supposedly an average/slightly above average defender, I don't see him play much though because he's injured all the time

17. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

"Demoted?" I don't remember Beasley being our 6th man last year. Considering minutes, except for a handful of games, he was more like our 9th or 10th man.

18. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

It makes plenty of sense to start Harden and Gordon if you go small and move Harden to the 3; keep Gordon at the 2. I agree there's no reason to start Harden and Gordon in the same backcourt. I still want to see a pure point guard handle and distribute the ball and have James play off the ball more. Also I like Gordon spelling James at the 2 so he doesn't have to lead the league in minutes played, and he can make it to his 28th birthday.

Pure point
    Gordon
    Harden
    Anderson
    Defensive center

19. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

"Demoted?" I don't remember Beasley being our 6th man last year. Considering minutes, except for a handful of games, he was more like our 9th or 10th man. Ariza was our backup 4 most games with Brewer moving to the 3.

20. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

I can't think of a better second team in the NBA with Gordon, Beasley, Motiejunas & Harrell being 4 of the 5 on the court. I'd really like to backload a deal with Ezeli paying him the increase in cap space next season. Anderson, Capela, Motiejunas, Harrell & Ezeli would be a deep and versatile group of bigs.

Find a PG via trade or S&T Brewer, Dekker, KJ, Goudelock, rights to Llull/Gentile, picks, etc is the bait.

Not opposed to seeing where Llull stands or if Gentile can really play

1 person likes this.