1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

It is time to free Stro

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JWhaley, Apr 8, 2006.

1. JWhaley

JWhaley Contributing Member

Now we are OFFICIALLY out of playoff.
    Stro should get much more minutes and freedom on court to show whether he is keeper or trader,

2. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

i can answer your question here and now - Swift must go! while i agree he should be be on the court right now (just to help us in the tanking process)
    he is a crank and doesnt belong.

trade him. or even waive him if necessary should no one want to take him off our hands.

3. Yaniv

Yaniv Member

Yes you are right , getting rid of Swift will solve our problems ....

Waive him ??? Let's Waive Yao and T-Mac while we're at it .

4. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

im not saying it will solve our problems , but it will be a step in the right direction. If we can ditch Anderson for what amounted to nothing we may aswell do the same to Swift. I mean honestly what could we get in return for him that would help us at all?

Francis Rules? how hard is it 2 update your name mate?

5. JWhaley

Nets should be interested in him.

6. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

WAIVE HIM?!?! That's a good idea. Waive a guy we just signed to a five or six year contract? (I can't remember the max years of a new CBA contract)

That's a fantastic idea. Let's just pay him 6 million a year for the next five or six years to play for some other team. Good thinking!

Incidentally, no matter what you think of Stromile and how bad he is, there is always demand for an athletic big man.

7. azjw

azjw Member

Yeah, waive him and let the Nets pick him up and he become all star back up...

Agree with you though, he will never flourish under JVG.

8. Rollazn

Rollazn Member

You're a funny man. Waive him... Great idea. :rolleyes:

Even if Stromile Swift isn't what we thought he could have been - he's still worth a lot. I'm pretty sure we can trade him easily. The New Jersey Nets were really interested in Stromile Swift... They will most likely trade anybody they have beside their top 3 for Stromile Swift. Although I don't know of anyone who we really want for Stromile Swift. Maybe even the Pheniox Suns. Stromile should fit under their style of playing... Maybe they would be interested in him.

Yeah - let's just waive him - and continue to pay him while he plays for other teams. If we aren't going to waive Ryan Bowen - we're not going to waive Stromile Swift. :)

Stromile Swift should get more playing time. I still feel he can develop into a nice role player for the Houston Rockets. If not - trade him and I still feel Stromile will develop into a nice role player for another team.

If I was JVG - I would play Swift for 30MPG every game left (since we are officially out of the playoffs).

9. Storm Surge

Storm Surge Rookie

I have little confidence that Swift would do ANYTHING under more minutes.

Maybe some good dunks...

10. ymc

ymc Member

I love his two crazy dunks last night! :eek: :eek: :eek:

11. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Yes, and that move worked so well for us, LET'S DO IT AGAIN!! Because you know the ol' saying....2 wrongs always make a right.

:rolleyes:

12. JWhaley

Should be top 4(+Krstic). But other than these 4, Nets have nothing.

13. DanTanna

DanTanna Contributing Member

Dan Langey won SEC Player of the Year over Stomile.

Who's smarter:

VY
    Stromile Swift .......... tough call

14. m0lson

m0lson Member

he'll foul out long before that

15. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

Freeing Swift isn't the problem. Swift's biggest challenge is between his ears. He obviously has more physical talent then most in the leauge. If he had the work ethic of an Allen Iverson or Yao Ming he would have to get better with his natural abilites.

He has remained stagnent because he has chosen to be a role player making millions with no pressure. The other option would be to triple his salary and become an all-star. Not everyone in the NBA has to be the superstar, many of them just realize how lucky they are to make 4million to play two quarters of basketball a night and never have to worry about taking the big shot night in night out.

Swift is happy with the money he makes for the minimal effort he puts in and that's enough. Obviously I don't know this to be true but it is certainly what it seems like to me at times.

16. Rollazn

Rollazn Member

Completely agree. Swift has the talent and physical ability far better than the average NBA player. He can block, dunk, leap out of the building, and has a decent looking shot. If he only would give it 100% and think... he could be an all-star easily.

17. TBar

TBar Contributing Member

If you were going to dump-waive someone-make it Juwan Howard. He makes more money than Swift, -contract up in 2009. There is a precedent - we traded Mo Taylor for garbage that did not play or contribute...

Swift will never thrive under JVG, but the coach has to take some responsibility for that. Swift would do much better under a faster- mobile-running game to take advantage of his speed and athleticism.

18. CreepyFloyd

CreepyFloyd Member

i completely agree

19. thetennisyao

thetennisyao Member

yea, can we get 2 late first round pick for them? :D

20. Hydhypedplaya

Hydhypedplaya Member

What do you guys think about trading Swift to Phoenix for Raja Bell? I think Bell is a player that JVG would love to have, but do you think Phoenix would bite?