1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

it is not about small or big ball, all about money

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rayrocket, Apr 22, 2013.

Tags:
  1. rayrocket

rayrocket Member

you may not get a ring by paying more money to get more talents,
    but you definitely will not get a ring by paying less money to pile up lot of bargain scrubs.
    Easy as easy can be..........

2. rayrocket

rayrocket Member

And when say scrubs, coaching staff included......

3. RiceRockets

RiceRockets Member

Can you elaborate

4. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

This is exactly why Lin is starting. Money. Because he is not starter quality.

5. liunatic

liunatic Member

This is another dumb thread. Especially since it seems like no one pays attention to how much of a process we have been through to get even 1 star player and remain supremely cap flexible.

6. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

I don't think it's about how much money is spent, but rather HOW the money is spent... personally, I'm tired of playing D league bingo!

I understand Morey likes to get diamonds in the rough, sign them to lengthy unguaranteed contracts and hope they explode and outplay those contracts (ala Chandler Parsons). Low investment with high potential - sounds logical... but we're overdoing it!

Granted, Beverly was one of the only players that played well... but with this young team, why aren't we supplementing the roster with some vets that can provide some guidance? We've got the blind leading the blind....

Meanwhile, Tmac is playing for peanuts. Do u think Antawn Jamieson might help our rotation at pf - he's playin for under a million this year. Derek Fisher seemed to really help OKC droppin those 3s on us - playin for peanuts... Now I'm not necessarily saying these guys in particular, but I have to believe some veteran presence would have served us better than say Anderson or Ohlbrecht....

I'm a big DM supporter, but I think this is an area he needs to rethink... we need to stop using roster spots on so many gambles - and use them for proven commodities (even on the downturn) that can provide solid production and guidance - even for limited minutes.

7. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

This is stupid. Rockets spend money when theirs an opportunity to significantly, improve the roster. If they listened to you, they would have no shot at Dwight or any other future max contracts.

8. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

The thread has a point , our pay roll is low this year, however Lin and Asik dont really start to cash in until next year.

9. kjayp

Uh..... I'm pretty sure they're counting 8.4M against the cap this year and going forward... Now, Harden starts getting paid next year....

10. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

You do know Lin and Asik both are paid 8.3 each year of the contract right? And the pay roll is low for a good reason

11. joesr

joesr Member

the reason our salary is this low is because of the very reason you f'ing crying about. you dont go to point c from a by skipping point b (unless your the lakers). you take steps.

12. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

I may have been misinformed I thought it increased at some point, but I do agree our pay roll is low for a major market.

13. Jmcballer88

Jmcballer88 Contributing Member

Lin aint worth 8 mil id rather have Steve blake

1 person likes this.
  14. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

If CD was running things still you better believe we'd be maxed out cap-wise. And we'd be stuck that way for years and years with your new version of Maurice Taylor and Matt Maloney. We don't play that game anymore, we're smarter, we're agile, we're building to win it all, not win a lot. Sports is like math, you're either wrong or you're right, there's no in between. You win it all or you don't. No use in strategizing for partial credit.

We're one of the most inexperienced teams in playoff history. And we have max caproom available - that is insane. This is unprecedented. I'm ecstatic about where this franchise is right now.

Your prayer will get answered. We'll sign a max deal in the offseason, hopefully for 1 year or a 1&1 (team option year 2) and continue to bolster this franchise for legitimate title contention.

1 person likes this.
  15. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

It's got nothing to do with money. Scola is our second highest paid player. We're giving him over 5 million to play for the Suns, so we can have more cap flexibility. We're paying 10-15 million to guys we've cut.

As for Asik and Lin, they get paid 5mil this year, 5mil next, and 15 mil in the third year, but they count 8.3 mil against the cap each year.

We have to have cap flexibility to sign a big free agent.

If you think Mcgrady, Fisher, or Jamison would help us against the Thunder, you're delusional.

16. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

It's low to maintain cap space for a future star player in free agency. If Rockets just spent money on random free agents, they would end up like a poor mans Cavaliers team with Lebron.

17. rocketman84

rocketman84 Member

1. We are the only playoff team with enough cap room to sign a max FA
    2. Our star didn't have a training camp with the team
    3. Our coach sucks
    4. We are young and inexperienced

If we sign a max level 4 this summer and get a good coach, we are looking golden. People need to relax.

18. kjayp

that's a mighty big "If".... I don't think we're gonna kick McHale to the curb - even though for the next step in our progression it it is a necessity...

19. kjayp

Yeh.... cause Delfino and Smith are a much better option than Jamieson at pf.... (sarcasm).....smh.....

20. rocketman84

rocketman84 Member

If we don't ditch Mchale this summer, then I would bet anything that we do it the following summer. Otherwise Morey will be fired for not finding a top tier coach to coach top tier talent.