1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ISOLATION SCORING, Statistical analysis of LIN vs HARDEN and the top 50 scorers ISO rankings

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Voice of Aus, Dec 15, 2013.

1. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

every corner of the internet has an opinion on ISO ball it seems. Who is efficient at this particular shot and who is really really bad and should be getting ridiculed for their continued shot selection which is hurting their team. First lets look at the battle between Harden vs Lin

James Harden VS Jeremy Lin

Both terrific offensive players who have shown to be proven scoeres when required, the debate between Harden and Lin in relation to isolations is intriguing. so who is statistically better?

[​IMG]
    (harden's data is in the white rows shown before Lins data in the grey rows)

Thats right, they are exactly the same on PPP (points per possession), interesting after the hot start got off to at the start of the year Lin got off to and the sluggish start James got off to, that the data still shows both players converting at .97 PPS ranking them 17th in the league in qualified players.

Although harden has almost 4x the amount of shots and only converting on 36.6% of shots for Harden to still be converting at a rate of .97 is exceptional when compared to other notable players in the league.

[​IMG]

also the table above shows Houston as a whole performance in the isolations. We rank middle of the pack at 16th and have a PPP of .81 which are both below out 2 primary ball handlers.

How the Top 50 scorers perform in isolations. note (lin does not qualify for this list)

Im sure before you look at the graph i created you already have some wild guesses, for instance "rudy gay will be inefficient" and from creating this their wasnt really that many concerns. The biggest surprise to me was Lebron only boasting a PPP on isolations of .85 which compared to the average for percentage of isolations he takes is below average.

[​IMG]

- Harden is above the average for the amount of shots taken. note even though Parsons takes only 7.4% of his shots been isolations but converts them at a terrible .54 PPP. Perhaps its the small sample size and will be interesting to watch his stats.

- also secondly although dwight qualifies for the top 50 scorers he has only taken 2 isolation plays for the year which equates to .5% of his total shots and has not made one.

- if you would like to know where Lin would be on this graph then he would be positioned just to the left of Dragic which like James Harden is above league average

- Rudy gay is Rudy Gay, he takes the most ISO's for the amount of shots he takes and is terribly inefficient

- Eric Bledsoe is ranked no.1 by synergy sports at 1.32 PPP as Wesley Matthews 1.5PPP has not taken enough attempts.

Conclusion

Whether it frustrates you or not, just think about it, it could be a whole lot worse if we didn't have efficient scores like Harden and Lin. Also note that Harden has improved his isolation scoring from .93 PPP to this years .97 even with his slow start to the year. Things are looking up Clutchfans, we are coming

#1 Voice of Aus, Dec 15, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2013
    7 people like this.
  2. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

While I don't want this to turn into a Lin thing (however I'm sure it probably will), Lin's change of role seems to have increased his efficiency markedly as well

3. DarkRock

DarkRock Rookie

Great work. Nice stats!

4. Voice of Aus

I was just over the game threads were people say "lin is a better ISO player than harden" and wanted to see who was actually better.

+ I bought my synergy account today and was testing it out.

5. Gday

Gday Member

Thanks for posting mate

6. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Those 2 disasters against Utah and Phoenix were both chalked up to Parsons, and rightfully so. But I think it was really the combo of Lin and Parsons missing that caused it.

The Rockets seem to have 3 players who appear to be able to "make things happen" on a fairly regular basis, Lin,Parsons, and Harden. Dwight Howard has been a bit of an enigma, he has shown signs of dominance, but more often than not he has been Tyson Chandler. Hopefully his recent trend will stick, and it will be 4 go to options, but back to my original point.

Lin isn't nearly as expendable as people make him out to be. When Parsons got hurt it left 1 player to try and create everything. Lin hasn't really got back into the flow yet, but I think he is a very important piece to what the Rockets can do this year. Games won't always be up and down, you will often have to create something from nothing, and guys that can do that well are harder to come by than people seem to think.

7. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

I think it's a case of contingencies, we need at least 2 of the 3, Harden is far and away the most consistent (and paid for it), but the other 2, we need at least 1 to show up. Occasionally all 3 turn up and we kill all comers.

For example against Portland, where Parsons back flat tyred him half a dozen and he just looked out of sorts, and Lin being in recovery/return mode, our offense looked flat even with both of them.

8. Whoopy

Whoopy Member

This really is the only reason for why Lin comes off the bench. Most teams his scoring would be needed. Here, if he plays with Harden, they are both likely worst off.

9. makio9

makio9 Member

Naturally, the more somebody does something, the less of a percentage it will become. AKA It's no surprise Lin's is high. He hardly does anything, and when he has he has been on fire.

Secondly, the Lin fans like to claim this as isolation, but ISO is when the team clears away a large portion of the court for you. This is fairly rare. What they mean to say is when he goes 1 on 1 instead of playing a team game.

Not sure where you get ISO stats from for this reason?

10. Patterned919

Patterned919 Member

This is too early to be doing statistical analysis.

I remember looking at Harden's synergy just last week and the numbers were significantly different than what they are now.

It's going to jump around a lot this early on.

11. Voice of Aus

All the data is from synergy sports data, which if you didn't know are a very reputable source of data, my understating is a 1 one 1 without it being a post up constitute as an ISO play. The site gives videos examples of every ISO for every player and seem to be right

12. Voice of Aus

I disagree with this statement, the season is 25 games in which is enough of a sample size now, just think front offices around the league will be crunching the numbers of the season so far. I mean I would understand if it was 5 games in but we are actually just under a third of the season done

13. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

A great post Aus! You should look into Tableau software.

But what is the impact of guard isolation points on the game? Why are they so vitally important? How is Hardens isolation different from Parsons? If you like I will answer those questions. But I am confident you can do a fine job.

I watched some of the CLE versus MIA game last night and it was obvious that the Cavs were running R&R 4 out 1 in. They looked completely different than the Rockets.

14. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

It is the start of the statistical analysis season for starters, but not for second team players.

15. Voice of Aus

Tanks JTR I have been looking for a software program greater than excell to help with graphs.

You could argue that guards are important in the ISO game because they are often the ones who have to force the shots when nothing eventuates in the offence , having to bail out their team with a unmorey like long two or a three.

Parsons ISO would differ from hardens ISO As parsons generally come from either a switch which has caused a mis match such as a centre switching, or from a catch which generally has less than 10 seconds on the clock and parsons just forces a shot off the dribble

16. kuku

kuku Contributing Member

I don't expect neither Lin nor Harden will maintain isolation efficient of 0.97 ppp.

- Lin had lost half a step from preseason. He doesn't get by his defenders as easily as before. It started before he was injured.

- Harden hadn't really played many of his biggest adversaries yet. Iguodala, T Allen, Sefolosha, and Tucker will all bring down his efficiency.

When Harden was playing behind Durant and WB 2011-12, he had the highest isolation efficiency in the league at 1.0 ppp, still impressive as a third banana. As #1 option, his isolation efficiency was down last season and understandably so when he faced the best perimeter defenders in the league.

1 person likes this.
  17. Remii

Remii Member

Great post... Players who can isolate are important because you can't win a championship without them..

18. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Tableau is the finest data presentation software available. Plus it can be used for free. I looked into buying it because I did not like some of the annoying "freeware" aspects, but they wanted thousands of US dollars. It has a complexity level on the level of Excel, so it can be learned in relatively short order.

So why is Harden (and Lin) so effective when in isolation? Why does it present such a problem for defenses? I believe it has to do with their ability to break down the defense off the dribble. Guards are incredibly fast in the NBA. They cannot be broken down by most NBA players. Harden and Lin can and do break them down. Parsons cannot. Therefore you see defenses flex to guard Harden and Lin. They shade off of their defensive assignments towards Houston's two great guards. This opens up for their teammates good looks from the arc and cuts to the basket.

I thought, watching 10 minutes of the Cavs last night, that it was obvious that Irving was not causing the Heats defense to flex towards him. Every defender stood glued to their man. I downgraded my opinion of Irving immediately.

19. makio9

makio9 Member

That's intereting, thanks for the info.

But if you play ball and your coach asks for ISO, make sure you get well clear of your go-to guy.

20. Remii

Remii Member

Harden (and Lin) can consistently create their own shot. Parsons cannot. Simple as that.. But difference between Harden and Lin is that Harden commands double teams and commands the defense to rotate towards him _ Lin, not so much...