1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Isis terror threat: Leading British Muslims issue fatwa condemning terror group

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by AroundTheWorld, Sep 1, 2014.

1. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Some positive news, at last (what has taken them so long, though? :confused: ).

----------------

Muslim leaders have issued a fatwa condemning Islamic extremist group Isis, and have said that British jihadis are “betraying their own societies” by getting involved in the conflicts in Iraq and Syria.

The fatwa represents the British Muslim community’s strongest denunciation of Isis yet, calling the extremist group “heretical” and “an oppressive and tyrannical group.”

According to The Sunday Times, the fatwa, authored by Sheik Usama Hasan, a former imam from east London, and supported by six senior Islamic scholars across the country, says it is “religiously prohibited (haram) to support or join” Isis.

Though Muslims have a “moral obligation” to help the Syrian and Iraqi people, they must do so “without betraying their own societies,” the fatwa states.

Baroness Warsi, former Foreign Office minister: “These are substantial figures and I welcome this announcement. The Islamic State is neither a state nor Islamic. I echo the words of these religious leaders.”

A fatwa is an edict issued by a learned Muslim scholar concerning Islamic life. The term is best known for the 1989 “death fatwa” issued by the Ayatollah Khomeni, then Supreme Leader of Iran, on author Salman Rushdie over claims that his book The Satanic Verses had “insulted” Islam.

This declaration comes as Britain’s terror threat was hiked from “substantial to “severe” in response to the escalating conflicts in the Middle East, and the growing influence of Isis.

Home Secretary Theresa May said the new alert level rated the risk of an attack on the UK as "highly likely", although she said there was no evidence to suggest one was "imminent".

In response to the increased risk of attack, David Cameron and Nick Clegg have agreed to a toughening of anti-terror measures to be addressed when Parliament is reconvened tomorrow.

A source at No 10 told The Independent that there would be “no return to control orders” but the Government will move to impose what is effectively an “internal exile” on terror suspects.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...ue-fatwa-condemning-terror-group-9702042.html

1 person likes this.
  2. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

It goes without saying but good to see that it is condemned to join these orgs. There may be people on the fence so this type of message could sway people back to normalcy.

3. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Good news. I don't doubt that the British accent of the brutal madman beheading that poor journalist had a deep impact in Great Britain's society. The reaction there from the Muslim community can only be seen as a postive response to a terrible story. Nice find, ATW. :)-

4. Nook

Nook Member

Not going to discuss the fact that it has taken so long for Muslim leaders to condemn ISIS and other extremist groups, we have already discussed it.... I am glad that there has been a fatwa issued. It is a subject that the Muslim community needs to address, and it appears someone is.

5. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Does anyone give a crap about fatwas?

6. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

People teetering on the borderline.

7. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

In attempts to mock these "fatwa's", ISIL rearranged those letters...;)

Waa t f

8. Nook

Nook Member

Yes, it sets the narrative for young Muslims and hopefully more attention will be given to the vast majority of Muslims that don't think it is okay to chop someone's head off and scream Allahu Akbar!!

9. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

Muslims have a "moral obligation" to help the Iraqi and Syrian people? Which people, the ones ISIS is killing or ISIS? I'm confused.

10. PhatPharaoh

PhatPharaoh Member

wtf so their reasoning is that because it harms British society and not because it is wrong :confused: :confused: ??

11. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

need a hell of a lot more of this from the Muslim community

12. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

13. BrownBeast99

BrownBeast99 Member

Imams have been condemning and speaking out against ISIS for quite a while now in the US. People just don't notice it seems. Sad thing is, ISIS supporters (can't believe rational people out there actually support them) blame Imams for rejecting this "Islamic" state and accuse them of being Western supporters. Those people are as delusional as it gets. It's honestly appalling that they have many sympathizers all over the world. I've actually met a guy who is a supporter. The extreme element to the religion is very disturbing. Real Muslims need to counteract this crap or else the image of true Islam will be destroyed in the eyes of the masses (can argue it already has been to an extent).

1 person likes this.
  14. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

This. Great point.

It's a shame the religion is getting its name drug through the mud by these terrorists.

15. Nook

Nook Member

I agree.

What needs to be realized is that ISIS and other extremists are harming primarily other Muslims.

16. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Here is something from a chain e-mail falsely attributed to some "Dr. Emmanuel Tanya" (or "Tanay") which I however agree with, regarding the so-called peaceful "silent majority" of Muslims.

It's from an article from a guy called Paul Marek about the "silent majority" in general (http://cjunk.blogspot.it/2006/02/why-peaceful-majority-is-irrelevant.html), someone adapted it to Muslims and unfortunately made a chain e-mail out of it. I still think the message behind is worth reading.

Marek himself addressed the question of the so-called silent majority of Muslims that is compatible with Western ideals in the comments section under his article.

I would like to ask the D&D people from the left what they think about the bolded part of his argument?

17. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

What'd he have to say about all of this? Any inkling as to how he became radicalized?

18. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

That is very good news about a Muslim body issuing a fatwa against the brutality and misuse of religion by ISIS.

Still waiting for some proclamations or at this late date some formal apologies from some of the American Christian denominations that cheer led for the Iraq War or the drone strikes etc.

Also something more from Jewish leaders about the ethnic cleansing going on in Palestine

19. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Would you welcome a fatwa against your Hamas idols?

20. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

I don't idolize them, just see them as legitimate freedom fighters, who as almost always happen use violence to resist their violent oppressors. I really don't hear too much about their religious beliefs, though I assume almost all of them are Muslims.

As far as I know they would be fighting for their freedom regardless of their religion.

I suppose a decree against their violence would be as warranted as one from some sort of Jewish authority forbidding the violent occupation and ethnic cleansing by Jewish Israelis.