1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Isiah Thomas comments

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Clutch, Mar 19, 2000.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Did you catch it last week on TV? I know I did... I remember thinking, "What the hell... Thomas is taking credit for the Raptors?" He FLAT OUT said 'when I put this team together'. Check this out in <a href="http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/nba0319b.htm">Mike Monroe's Denver Post column</a>:

March 19 - Wondering why Isiah Thomas last Sunday used his forum as an NBC studio analyst to engage in one of the worst cases of recent revisionist history? Look no further than the fact he has been building a home in Atlanta, where he presumably would like to find another job, either on the bench or in the front office.

In case you missed it, Thomas tried to take credit for laying the foundation for the Toronto Raptors' strong run to the playoffs this season.

Said Thomas, after a discussion of Tracy McGrady with NBC/New York Post basketball expert Pete Vecsey: When "I put this team together, it was to be dominant in five years."

Of the 15 members of the team this season, only two are left over from the Thomas era: McGrady and Doug Christie. Thomas nearly ruined McGrady's career because he ignored his development during the tumultuous season leading up to Thomas' resignation as GM and part owner.

When Thomas left, the Toronto franchise was in an absolute shambles. You may recall GM Glen Grunwald being booed off the floor when he tried to apologize to fans at the end of the 1998-99 season.

"We started out as an island in Toronto 19 months ago, and no one cared about us," Raptors coach Butch Carter said. "We (Carter and Grunwald) pretty much took over after a scorched-earth policy - everybody from the old regime tried to destroy everything, and they still are today." Carter didn't pull any punches after hearing Thomas' self-serving comments.

"I hate that NBC lets (Thomas) have the platform to put out incorrect information," Carter said. "I don't know why he's doing it. For some reason, he needs to take credit for what has gone on here, and I think that's a little broad for him."

Raptors forward Charles Oakley offered this assessment of Thomas' statements: "He saw that piece of cake and just decided he'd eat it."

Thomas' name has surfaced as possible head coach in Dallas and Atlanta - should the Hawks decide to persuade Lenny Wilkens to step down after their disastrous season. There is some belief he is using Dallas' interest to leverage more money from the Hawks.

Taking credit for Toronto's success may well have been a ploy to impress Atlantans.

If not, we'll just have to call it a brain burp.

------------------
    NOTHING BUT .NET
    CLUTCHCITY.NET