1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Wright's durability a concern?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by withmustard, Mar 6, 2018.

1. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

Brandan will be sitting out his 4th game in a row tonight after playing only 15 minutes in his Rockets debut. I really like what Wright brings when he is healthy, but am nervous about being undersized in the playoffs if he ends up being unreliable.

Some people will say I shouldn't lose sleep over our 12th man, but Nene needs rest and we need a better back up plan than Black if Nene goes down again in the playoffs. Our lob game to Capella is one of our best weapons. Length at the 5 is crucial. Nene is having a harder and harder time elevating and finishing on those bounce pass rolls.

Capela barely plays half a game, so if Nene gets hurt we're looking at almost half a game of Black, Tucker and Anderson at the 5. Everybody talks about us losing last year to the Spurs because Harden didn't show for game 6, but Nene being out changed the way James was guarded. The Backup Center is more important to the Rockets than any other team, and Wright's health has me slightly concerned. Everything has to go right to beat the Warriors, even our 12th man's minutes.

J.R., slothy420 and saleem like this.
  2. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

What durability would that be?

Remlap and withmustard like this.
  3. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Really would've liked to see Wright on Monroe.

But nawww --- 4 games out for 15 minutes played is a great ratio!

Hakeemtheking and Rox11 like this.
  4. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

At least 4 games.

5. ROXonROXonROX

ROXonROXonROX Member

I said it b4 they signed him that his health would be a huge issue. I also said that we should’ve signed Bogut over him who we having a better year in LA and everyone laughed. Now he’s hurt, AGAIN, and probabaly be hurt for the rest of the reg season.

6. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

What's wrong with him?

7. YOLO

YOLO Member

you're talking about health and youre trying to vouch for bogut who got hurt shortly after he checked in the game. no thanks

8. napalm06

Yeah... what was the injury again? I wish we were spending as much time integrating Wright as we are with SlowMo Joe.

Stormy1234 likes this.
  9. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

Knee Soreness.

10. napalm06

One of the worst vague / nagging injuries you can have. Perfect.

chadyang and Rox11 like this.
  11. YOLO

YOLO Member

wright wasn't signed to be an every night backup center. its the people that overrated the signing that gave people that idea. hes insurance w/ t black. he was never going to play consistently as long as nene and capella are able to play.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  12. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Brandan Wright Athleticism is dependent on his knees, take your time getting back. Hopefully he gets back soon, gets any minutes from Mike.

chadyang and D-rock like this.
  13. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

We played him 15 minutes over his minutes restriction.

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

Bogut would have lasted longer TBH. Rather have Downtown Bobby Brown TBH. ;)

I was fine the 9/10 guys they had (but thought they could use help/upgrade at backup C)

CP3 - Harden - Ariza - Tucker - Capela - Gordon - Mbah a Moute - Anderson - Green - Nene
    Black - Onuaku - Qi - Hunter - Brown - Williams

#14 J.R., Mar 6, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
    Chamillionaire and da_juice like this.
  15. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I mean, how many capable centers can you keep on a roster? We already have 4 true centers.

Bogut isn't even on an NBA roster, so we aren't the only team that didn't think much of him.

Wright clearly provides the best Capela insurance you can expect to find this cheap. It's not as if we are counting on him to anchor our team.

D-rock likes this.
  16. aroundtheblock2

I wouldn't exactly call Bogut a picture of health either. For all we know the Rockets med staff is playing this conservative. Again, with the current depth the Rockets can afford to do this and I appreciate they are taking advantage of the depth. Our goals are in the POSTSEASON, not the regular season. Rockets want the 1 seed but aren't going to risk the health of the team to obtain it.

D-rock likes this.
  17. RocketsFan0

RocketsFan0 Member

On another note, clippers decided to not sign Tyrone Wallace for the rest of the season. How is his game? Would he be a decent pick up?

18. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

durability a concern? no. we got him for free. we've got 3 other centers.

i hope for the best but if he can't play he can be replaced at little cost or detriment to the team.

D-rock likes this.
  19. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

I want bogut.

However if injury record is your criteria than Bogut isn't exactly the guy you want either.

20. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

I don't agree, I feel that he was expected to contribute. I expected him to be a poor man's Capela. Black doesn't have the length that allows the PNR to be as effective with Paul and Harden. I understand what you're saying, and even agree to an extent. We do need insurance for Capela and Nene, and Wright has me concerned about his ability to be that insurance. Our safety net has holes.

Remlap, saleem and Huricane like this.