1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is winning the division title realistic?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TheRealist137, Oct 6, 2010.

1. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

The Rockets have never won the SW division since it started several years ago. I believe the last time they won a division title of any sort was over a decade ago.

The division has been dominated by the Spurs or Mavs for the longest time.

I think the division crown is a good goal to have. I think we really have to show our superiority over the Spurs and Mavs.

Even though some people might think it doesn't matter, I am 100% rooting for Houston to win the southwest division this year.

Do you think that the Rockets are good enough? I still believe that defense is a legitimate concern for us.

2. KingStevo10

KingStevo10 Member

Anything is possible--KG

3. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Neither the Spurs or Mavs are dominant so the Rox have a good shot at the division but as long as they get into the top 4 record wise, it's all good.

#3 rockets934life, Oct 6, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2010
  4. rockets247

rockets247 Rookie

I think the Rockets have a great chance to win the SW Division based on Yao Ming and what he is able to contribute to the team this upcoming season. To those people that think the division title doesn't matter, IT DOES. It guarantees you HOMECOURT in the FIRST ROUND of the PLAYOFFS, as division winners get the top three seeds and the rest of the teams are ranked accordingly by record in the conference. If you aren't rooting for the Rockets to win the Southwest Division or better yet the conference, your not a fan. If Yao Ming can be 80% of what he was before surgery forced him to sit out a whole season, I can definitely see the Rockets winning the division and going deep into the postseason. Defense is going to be a lot better this year with Yao in the paint because teams won't be willing to attack and beat Houston inside as they did last year with Chuck Hayes manning the middle. The talent is definitely here as Houston is 2 DEEP in every position, however, like they say, the game ain't played on paper, it is played between the lines.

5. ico4498

ico4498 Member
    Supporting Member

it isn't unrealistic, just hollow without the NBA title.

6. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

It depends on your version of unrealistic. If you mean by staying completely healthy and Dallas and San Antonio have off years by aging and or injuries or any unforseen playing discrepencies? Then yes it is unrealistic. If you are into the version of Batier is declining and Yao might not get past 24 minutes a night realistic view? Then you may feel we might be a few games back at the end of the season. I love going off into fantasy land often with my teams so I have no problem declaring them NBA and division champs right now. ;)

7. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

Rather your version of reality.

Every year if Yao stays healthy
    If Battier has his intangibles to lock down Kobe
    If we can get enough rebounds out of everyone else besides Yao
    If we can beat the Lakers
    If we can get past the first round
    If Chuck Hayes can finally guard 7 footers better than he actually does
    If Daryl Moreys genius shows up finally midseason to get us tha superstar
    If some other teams have unfortunate injuries
    If we get favorable matchups in the playoffs
    If we get lucky calls from the refs finally
    If somehow they start to give the Rockets these game ending calls that favor us
    If Stern helps us orchestrate a trade that nets us Carmelo for his brother Jemello Anthony and nothing else.
    If they stuff the draft lottery with envelopes for us that are frozen to give us the first pick in the draft next year..

8. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

i think buddinger will be put in the starting spot at some point this season, and will keep it going into the playoffs. i think his D will not be that huge of a dropoff and his offense will be much better then shane's.

9. rockets247

rockets247 Rookie

If the Knicks get the 1st Pick next year, it is theirs, not Houston's.

10. ico4498

ico4498 Member
    Supporting Member

don't need any of that for a SW division title ...

11. RocketMania1991

Who cares about a division title, only scrub teams care about winning weak accomplishments like this.

"At least were the SouthWest Division Champs!"

w

12. bloop

bloop Member

yeah good chance.

depends on a guy named Yao Ming

13. rhino17

rhino17 Member

NOLA and Memphis will not compete for it, so it is a 3 team race. They definitely have a shot

14. solid

solid Contributing Member

All this speculation is too early; these are questions for after the first of the year. After last night, I can tell you this, Orlando looks like a contender. That is all I know for now.

15. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

16. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Oh wait, I forgot, Dallas picked up Steve Novak... We're boned...

17. roslolian

roslolian Member

Of course its realistic. The Mavs are has beens and the Spurs are old/injured.

The question is are we good enough to take on the Lakers? That's really all we need to know, if we're good enough to beat them we're good enough to beat anyone.

18. J-Man

J-Man Member

Are you tryin to say we suck???? :mad:

19. Rockets420

Rockets420 Contributing Member

You are not guaranteed home court advantage. See Utah. We had the lower seed but a better record, so we had home court and blew it.

20. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

Yes, I think the rockets can win the division, the spurs and the mavs are not good like they used to be, and the rockets are getting better.