1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is waiving Mike Harris the right move by Rox

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by NothingButNet, Oct 22, 2007.

Tags:
?

Is waiving Mike Harris the right move by Rox

Poll closed Oct 21, 2008.
  1. Yes we should waive him, we don't need his help for the team.

133 vote(s)
    46.0%
  2. No this is the wrong move, Mike Harris belongs here.

156 vote(s)
    54.0%
  1. NothingButNet

NothingButNet Member

I was completely shocked when I came into the forum the read about the Mike Harris news. I was about to start a Mike Harris appreciation thread if he plays more games and shows us his value in the next few days. If this move is simply because of the financial reason, then it really sucks. C'mon Les, you can't afford his small salary or luxury tax, which is nothing compared to your annual profit?! :mad:

Remember Kelenna Azubuike from last year? If Mike Harris finds himself a right team, I have no doubt he will shine in the league.

We will miss you Mike Harris, good luck!

2. yao_fan_2007

yao_fan_2007 Member

Do we really need such a thread? Mike Harris was one of those players that most of us liked, but were expecting to get cut.

3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Dan Langhi
    Boki Nachbar
    Vassilis Spanoulis

Now Mike Harris.

Every year there's a new one.

4. Riz

Riz Contributing Member

I was hoping JL3 would get waived first.

5. onethreeeleven

I'm really dreading threads like these for every new player.

New rule: Unless Yao or Tmac gets cut, no starting polls to determine whether or not it was a good idea.

6. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

This move was as much about roster spots as money. It saved the Rox about 1.1M, but it also cleared a roster spot, one of five cuts that needed to happen.

FWIW, I wanted to see Harris make the roster too, but we already have Hayes for hustle and Hayes has 2 years of NBA experience. There was no way we would go into the season with Scola, novak, and Landry as our PF contingent.

Good luck, Mike. I hope we bring you back after we make a trade or two and make some more cuts.

7. rusHour

rusHour Contributing Member

I could not get myself to vote one way or another. I really liked him and he belongs in the NBA for sure BUT where does he fit on this deep team... He was the easiest to cut since his contract was not guaranteed. Its that simple. If it came down to talent and effort alone, of course he makes this team over other notables. Anyways, I was rooting for him and will continue to do so wherever he plays. I hope we figure out our roster and find a spot for him down the road.

8. Barkley

Barkley Member

I really don't wanna say that but I chose "yes". WHy? Damn, we have to cut 5 players. I'd love to leave everybody (ok cut Sura and LC) but I cannot. SO we still have 4 players to move.

That's business...

9. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

The Rockets had little choice. They have to make cuts. Harris, while good, is the cheapest, easiest person to cut.

10. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

Do we really need a poll for every new topic?

11. slowmustang

slowmustang Member

If Mike Harris had to play significant minutes, it would be very bad news for the Rockets.

12. ReD_1

ReD_1 Rookie

This is bussines,we all know it,Harris knows it.
    He was very good hard player,very good rebounder but he has 50.000 $ of salary and that was easier to cut than ex. Reed's 2.5 milion $ aldough Harris is better player.
    Whatever happens,I wish him luck wherever he plays.

13. hooroo

hooroo Member

So you still haven't seen him play yet?

14. Bono

Bono Contributing Member

can they bring Harris back for NBDL reasons?

15. hooroo

hooroo Member

No, for the Rockets to place guys in the NBDL they need to be part of the 15 man roster.

16. Big Shot Bob

Big Shot Bob Member

Yeah but the difference between the first three and mike harris is that the first three suck balls when they are give nba playing time.

17. ico4498

ico4498 Member
    Supporting Member

i voted yes.

who gets cut, who makes the prime rotation, minutes played, etc., none of those decisions will be universally pleasant to fans.

RA and his staff deserve a honeymoon period but with the tough calls they'll be required to make in the coming days there is no way in hell some aren't gonna be pi**ed.

i'm keeping my expectations modest, exceed last year's success.

18. Seven

Seven Contributing Member

Harris won't be signed by any other team long term. I think its the right move, because I don't think he'll succeed anywhere else. Remember Chuck Hayes? We cut him and signed him back in the middle of the season. If needed, he'll get a call.

19. hooroo

hooroo Member

Again, Harris doesn't have a rape case or an injury like Hayes did. He's going to find a team elsewhere.

20. rocket3forlife2

I have no idea why they cut him...to me he looked like a steal.