1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is this true?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by slcrocket, Jan 17, 2001.

1. slcrocket

slcrocket Contributing Member

I have nothing to back it up, so don't get pissed--but I just heard on a radio show that Dallas is one of Chris Webber's favorite possible destinations for next year. I haven't heard anything about this, but it could factor in our immediate decisions...

That, or Webber is blowing smoke at EVERYBODY, including us...

------------------
    Jazzkiller

2. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

With Cuban running that team, why wouldn't it be one of your possible destinations? But then again, it seems like every NBA team is currently a possible destination for Webber.

------------------
    "I personally don't think Jordan would have enjoyed playing with himself." -- JeffB lets us all know that Popeye and Clutch aren't the only ones with inside sources... (also an example of a BBS "sound-bite")

3. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I heard Webber likes Dallas as well , But the Mavs dont really need a Power Forward at the moment .

------------------
    Dont Go Hakeem

4. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

You know, whenever Webber mentions Dallas, he says it's a good team and he could see himself there. When he talks about Houston, he talks about how exciting Steve and Cat are and watching them play and such.
    Houston, with cap room, has better chances than Dallas in landing CWebb.
    That said, who knows where he'll go?

------------------

5. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Cap room doesn't really mean anything, if a player wants to go somewhere then it can always be arranged by sign&trade if needs be.

------------------

6. outlaw

outlaw Member

didn't Don Nelson trade CWebb to DC for Googs only after a year in GS?

[This message has been edited by outlaw (edited January 18, 2001).]

7. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Here's the link:

http://www.star-telegram.com/news/doc/1047/1:MAVERICKS22/1:MAVERICKS220115101.html

Since all teams are limited to the max $ for Webber, maybe he likes the idea of custom chairs in the locker room. Anything over the max would have to be under the table and if Stern could even part way prove it.....well, just look at what they did to the TWolves for JOE SMITH. And we know how much the league front office is endeared with Cuban!

Just sounds like a combination of PR and overzealous journalism to me.

------------------
    GATER

8. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

Who doesn't need Webber???? Honestly, the Mavs have a lot of forwards on their roster, but none of them are in the same league with Webber (so to speak).

Laettner? Vaught? Trent could be the best and most talented on the team, but he cannot stay healthy.

------------------
    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

9. Live

Live Member

Good point!

Remember when the Rockets traded for Pippen, he wasn't their original primary target; McDyess was. And he decided to sign with Denver, eventhough he makes his off-season home here, and he could have played alongside a legitimate C for the first time in his career. But that's the risk you take when you're counting on capspace.

10. sabirk

sabirk Contributing Member

No way,

I remember in the half time of the rockets kings game they did a special on webber and they stated he didn't get along with nelson and was traded. I doubt they've reconciled.

------------------

11. Beck

Beck Contributing Member

Thats a good point. Even if Nellie is gone and his son takes over, Webber might not want to be a part of the team because of the Nelson influence. Houston might be more probable than I thought.

------------------
    - Beck

Dream...bring back the goggles

12. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Yeah Just look At Portland , They Have Forwards crawlin all over the place .

------------------
    Dont Go Hakeem

13. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Actually I think they have since the GS days. They touched on this subject on 610 a few weeks ago. Honestly I don't think Dallas has any better chance of signing him than we do.

------------------
    "Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever." - Gandhi

14. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

They would trade their whole roster outside of finley for webber.

The fact that Cuban treats his players like gods might sway webber.

I still see him staying in Sacramento, why leave a contender and have to start all over, especially since he is already 28.

If webber/finley doesnt sign here, i would like to see them head east. Too many contending teams in the west and not enough in the east. either one of them would turn any team into legitimate contenders

------------------
    President of the Charles Barkley fan club...Oh he retired? When?