1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is this the end of Hack-a-Howard?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mikus, Nov 16, 2013.

1. mikus

mikus Member

Brian Shaw now regrets hacking Howard:
    http://blogs.denverpost.com/nuggets...for-resorting-to-hack-a-howard-strategy/9671/

With Howard showing that he can make the free throws, at least this one time, do you guys think this is the beginning of the end for the Hack-a-Howard strategy?

I think he has to prove that he can consistently knock those free throws down, but I think if he hits 70% again during a Hack-a-Howard, it'll be the last time we see it. Also I am wondering if opening up about his mental issues around FTs has perhaps been cathartic for him? Maybe because he has already put that out there in public, he's got nothing else to worry about?

2. New Generation

If he does this for a couple more games, yes. It'll be a start, at the least.

3. kjhwang

kjhwang Member

No, it's not. The best solution IMO is two free-throws and possession.

4. King901

King901 Member

They will keep testing him.

5. kjhwang

kjhwang Member

Well second to best solution. The best would be to make his ft's.

6. hardenisaboss

hardenisaboss Member

2 freethrows and possession and it starts in the second half

7. kjhwang

kjhwang Member

No. ALL GAME. Intentional fouls have no real application in an NBA game.

8. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

Wha..? One night where hackaDwight didn't work so all the teams are going to quit now? Is this a serious thread?

9. Juxtaposed Jolt

Yes, they do. Teams intentionally foul to get the ball back in a close game.

If a team is trailing by a little bit, then they effectively have no chance of coming back and winning the game if intentional fouls work like you want them to work.

10. quatin

quatin Member

I think he means "No place in a basketball game". Obviously intentionally fouling has applications. Hack-a-Dwight is a legit application.

He wants to ban all intentional fouling, which can be resolved by making all fouls that are not making a play for the ball a technical. (However, what about illegal screens? )

11. mikus

mikus Member

My title is a bit provocative, but my real question is how many times Howard has to do this for teams to stop.

12. quatin

quatin Member

Howard is still going to get normal shooting fouls throughout the games. I would say if his FT% is lower than 40% for that game, you try a couple of rounds of Hack-a-Dwight. His problem is mental, so it's a roll of the dice if he's making them or not for that certain night.

Don't get your hopes up. Dwight had 8 seasons to work on his FT. There's nothing special that happened tonight other than luck.

13. torocan

torocan Member

Howard shot well tonight. Hopefully the new environment is helping him turn a corner in terms of his FT shooting.

The best solution is Howard fixes his FT's and then opposing teams have no options left.

While I'm not a fan of hack-a-howard, I'm personally opposed to changing a decades old rule just to accommodate a handful of players. Make your FT's and all this goes away.

14. vorpal

vorpal Member

Bull****. Then you're just rewarding people with flaws in their skillsets for not fixing their flaws, based on their star power.

15. PnRScreen

PnRScreen Rookie

its double edge sword really.
    As long as Howard throw it in, such strategy will only favor us massively.

16. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

has hack-a-whoever ever actually directly been the cause of a win? i'm not sure i can recall even when the pacers did it to shaq originally if it ever worked. does it slow a team down and get them out of rhythm? yeah, but i can't say its ever cost a team a win.

think about it, a bad ft shooter gets 50%. if a team shot 50% thats a great offense. so if a team is scoring at 50% they hit a 2 on every other possession, that's about 1 point per possession. pretty much what a 50% free throw shooter would get. now i get that this is leaving out the idea of the 3 point play, but most offenses won't hit 50% anyway, and i'm using rough math to make a point that even a bad free throw shooter when made to replace his team's offense in hack-a-player, is still a very good offense.

in short, nba coaches should wise up that it has never worked because its flawed logic, and that more times than not the hacked team holds on to win. although as i said i can't remember a time when a hacked team lost.

the more important story here is that dwight put in a lot of work on his ft shooting and hopefully can stay around 70%

17. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

people will still do it
    just brian shaw did it wrong
    you don't send him to the line every time for him to get into rhythm
    you foul him then let them play for a possession then you foul him again
    you just have to mix it up

18. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

It's still a decent strategy. Dwight missed 3 of his first 4, and 4 of his first 8.

Brian Shaw made a very stupid decision to continue to foul him. I don't think I've ever seen any intentional foul situation used that many times. By about the 13th FT, Dwight was in such a good rhythm he was making them all pure.

The hack a Dwight is overrated as a major weakness, it's could be good for a few points late, but unless dwight just has a complete disaster it's rarely gonna really hurt us. They can point to the Laker game, but missing our final 4 FGA, and having a major defensve lapse lost that game, not FT's

19. SunsRocketsfan

See lakers win over us a week ago.. It worked

20. mikus

mikus Member

Howard missed his FTs in that game, but we also had 3 other extremely poor offensive possessions when all we had to do was make one basket.