1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is this a playoff team?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Nolen, Apr 10, 2000.

1. Nolen

Nolen Contributing Member

From Feigen's writeup of Sunday's game:

"The way they play, it's hard to keep your composure," Francis said. "A couple of months ago, we probably would have all gone ballistic. We definitely came a long way since the beginning of the season.
    "It's important to let us know we can play with these teams. We're not going to fold because we have a losing record. We want people to know next year when this Houston team comes up (that) they have a year together ... and they're definitely coming together."

Amen, brother.

Okay, here's the question: take this Rockets team, specifically the one that has won this week's amazing games vs. Portland, Seattle and Utah. Starting lineup of Francis, Shandon, Wizard, Thomas, and Cato. Coming off the bench are Moochie, Mobley, Bullard, and (occasionally) Pig Miller. No Hakeem, Barkley, Drew, Rogers or TMass. (wow- that's a nice set of players there we aren't using.)

Absolutely nothing happens this offseason, except players work on their game. No new players via free agency or draft. ONLY the nine players above go through a full training camp and begin the 2000-2001 season. For sake of simplicity, leave injuries out of the equation.

Is this a playoff team? Could this team finish with one of the top eight regular season records here in the western conference?

Taking into consideration their play as of late, and that it is no fluke, and that they can only get better, I think they are indeed a playoff team- but only eighth seed. I think they could definitely finish ahead of Denver and Dallas, but just barely challenge Seattle and Sacramento and Minnesota for that last 8th spot.

------------------

2. treeman

treeman Member

I'm a little more optimistic. I think what we've seen the past week has been the potential we've known they've had all along, they're just finally comfortable with the system (which improves both their shooting and D). They've finally gelled.

With Rudy at the helm, I'd also say that further improvement is nearly a given.

I think they'll finish next season - with basically the same lineup - with the 5th or 6th spot. Next year, I don't think they'll have a problem with opponents like the Kings, TWolves, or Suns.

And I think that when they get there, they can advance, too (especially if they make 5-6).

And if Rudy pulls some magic in the offseason (like a Duncan or a Hill)? Whoah...

I think most of the kinks in the road are behind us now. Now it'll just be a matter of smoothing out the edges...

------------------

3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Just like Doc Rivers,

Rudy T. has a playoff team in your scenario.

And after next season, the trade value of everyone goes up. Trade then if you want to. For next season, I'm keeping my cards.

4. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

I take the same stance of Nolen. With our current players, a lottery pick and no FA signings I see us as a 7-8 seed. Unfortunately I could also see us as being a lottery team again with injuries, or if our lottery pick doesn't pan out.
    Using Nolen's scenario of no draft picks I don't think we are a playoff team next year. We would be better, but tough matchups would hurt us in the post. No dependable inside presence (sorry but Cato is not dependable and KT disappears during games) would make it nearly impossible over an 82 game season to consistently play with Duncan & Robinson, Shaq, Webber & Divac, Karl, Portlands depth, etc. Hopefully Cato can at least become a good & reliable defensive presence next year. That would help us out, but I'm not counting on it, yet. I have more hope for KT, I think he can at least become a consistent PF, who could be good with a few years experience. He shows his ability occasionally, but he is a rookie and he has good games and bad games. A lottery pick or trade could help us on the front line.

------------------

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Yes,

This team is a playoff team, but it is not close to a championship team.

Don't get too excited about the last 3 wins. Not one of those teams had a big man clogging the lane. No Shaq, no Mourning, etc..etc.

Until the Rockets can beat a team with a SUPERSTAR big man, they will be relegated to watching others play for a championship.

Tim Duncan in a Rocket uni..on the other hand.....

[​IMG]

DaDakota

------------------

6. heypartner

Ah yes. But Atlanta had the biggest defensive presence in the league clogging the lane, and how many alley-oops did we have? Can you imagine Rudy in the locker room saying we are going to alley-oop Atlanta to death.

The alley-oop play is a threat at every possession. It has really opened up the game for us. Although you can stop it, you now must guard Cato, no matter where he is. You really now must guard our entire weakside. That is quite an accomplishment, and quite a problem for opposing defenses to solve without opening up Walt, Mobley and Francis.

LA and SA have the zone defenses to stop us, no doubt. But, I'd like to see our play against Garnett one last time.

7. The Hungarian Rocket

I think it's still a playoff team. If you're lucky and you don't have too much injured players you can reach the 5th spot.

In the other hand we need to increase our backcourt. Cato and Thomas are good players but... so we need to pick a C or a PF in the playoff. I think the Rockets won't sign big names this summer. Don't forget: Houston has a young talented team!!!

------------------
    Peter Komlosi, alias KP.
    Student of Computer Technology
    University of Veszprem, Hungary
    komlosip@almos.vein.hu

8. heypartner

Here's some Isiah Thomas history:

year 3 and 4 his team almost wins 50 games (49 and 46) with no Dumars, no Dantley, no Edwards, no Sally, no Mahorn and no Rodman.

Just Kelly Tripucka, Vinnie Johnson and John Long.

Then in Dumars 2nd year, they make the big trade of Tripucka for Dantley and win 52 games. They also land Salley, Mahorn and a rookie named Rodman. And take their defense to another level.

Following year it takes Larry Bird's steal to stop them. Then no one can stop them after that as they win 63 games and crush the league in the playoffs.

Dantley was not a huge addition, considering they lost Long and Tripucka's scoring. It was the defense additions of Sally, Mahorn and Rodman that did it.

You do not need two superstars in this league when you have the best defense. Great offensive chemistry and great defense can deliver. We need to improve our defense.

9. playahata

playahata Member

We are a playoff team next year....but we are not contenders as it stands. Thinking of additions, I look at a core of players...Shandon, Franchise, Cuttino, Wiz, and Moochie can handle the 1-2-3 spots. We need a bad ass 4. The only player in this draft that would satisfy my desire for the 4 ...surprise!!!!K. Martin. Who else???? Maybe Fizer, or heck maybe we'll get Dermarr Johnson.

------------------

10. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

"You do not need two superstars in this league when you have the best defense. Great offensive chemistry and great defense can deliver. We need to improve our defense."

Great point hp, I agree 100%. Only problem is you had to ruin it with a reference to "this league".

I think that with the new rules, perimeter D is probably not as important as it once was, because the defender is at such a disadvantage. Interior D will be where it's at. This is why we can not only get by with the Wiz as our starting 3, but turn it into an advantage for us.

------------------

11. heypartner

A Piston Love Fest...with butt kissing...Crisco...hmmmm...and a Rodman...

Sounds phallic to me. Did I bring up some repressed tendencies? It's alright to be angry. But, you really should try to get in touch with what is your MISSING PIECE.

oh--I purposely did not mention Lambier because he is the man who taught Malone to flop.

12. slcrocket

slcrocket Contributing Member

With just those players that were mentioned, we are a playoff team, but just barely. I would say a six-seed would be optimistic. Without size in a Conference dominated by Portland, Los Angeles, and San Antonio, we couldn't take the top three seeds legitimately. However, with that team, we would be incredibly dangerous, and we've proved this year that we can play head-to-head with those guys. We could pull off an upset or two. My pick-#7 seed.

------------------
    Jazzkiller

13. BornRocketRed

BornRocketRed Member

It's good to see the Rocks jell, but the biggest worry they have next year is the same as this year--injuries to their frontcourt. I'm still high on Carlos and Cato, with Cato getting incrementally better through next season to be a consistent post force by playoff time. But will he get a stonger body to take the NBA abuse? And 'Los also has been injury plagued in his career. Massenburg, too, would be strong help on the inside, but he can't run like those two or Thomas (maybe he can, just haven't seen enough of him).

So I think the Rocks need to keep looking for some young talent in the post, a defensive presence who can run, or a big rebounder who can run. Maybe we'll find an oversized-Moochie. But that's it, let's see how they improve with whom they've got.

14. Nolen

HP, Crico- OhmyGod! LOL! You're killing me!

------------------

15. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Didn't we beat Miami with 'Zo in the line-up?

------------------
    The lottery sucks!

16. Nolen

'Pimp- Yes. And LA with Shaq.

------------------

17. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

Phallic? Is that supposed to be some fancy schmancy word for *****? I have a dictionary too, you sphincter! I was merely suggesting that you take your Piston love-talk elsewhere(NBA DISH). Then you have to go and hit below the belt. Well you can take your juvenile Sigmund Freud theories and your love for Pistons and shove them up your butt!!!

OH!

Rockets Rule!!!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] (take that !!!!!)

------------------
    And with the number one pick in the draft, the Rockets select ...

Khalid Al Amin?

18. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

thats it "HP", you done pissed me off.

I usually enjoy laughing at your grammerless nonlogical posts about silly whimsical things, but enuff is enuff!! This is a Rockets board dammit! Not a Detroit Piston love-fest. Go take your Isah butt kissing, Microwave using, Dumar something, butt out of here and go post your love for the Pistons on some strange forum, like NBA dish. The Rocks will NOT sign Rodman, get over it already. HE IS NOT THE MISSING PIECE. And neither is bringing Lambier out of retirement. The Bad Boyz are dead. And the fat boyz are almost gone, if KT hits the the weight room and Pig is traded on the open market.

Oh, back to the topic oh, Nolen one. Personally, I dont think the Rockets will make it to the playoffs next year without some tweaking. But you never know... experience is a wonderful thing, except at McDonalds.

------------------

Khalid Al Amin?

19. heypartner

I hated the Pistons. very much!! You hit me below the belt ... just fine!

[​IMG] I found my tomato!

20. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

Ah, hate and Pistons in the same sentence. I love it!!!

[​IMG]

uh, Rockets will make the playoffs.

------------------

Khalid Al Amin?