1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Is There Hope For Cato?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaneB, Dec 16, 2000.

1. DaneB

DaneB Member

Outlook overhaul lifts Cato
    Center decides it's a wonderful life
    By JONATHAN FEIGEN
    Copyright 2000 Houston Chronicle

Kelvin Cato sat in the hospital with a few friends and family members and laughed. Nothing was funny.

"I was distraught," he said.

"He was scared," said Rockets strength coach Anthony Falsone. "He was joking, laughing. But he was freaked out."

For his second season as a Rockets center, Cato had not exactly rededicated himself to his conditioning and career. That would imply he had been dedicated before. He had found religion in the form of faith in a professional attitude.

But in the second game of the rest of his life, Cato suffered a high ankle sprain and found himself in the hospital for tests to determine if his season had ended.

Cato escaped that threat. No surgery was needed. But his new dedication would be tested as offseason visits to a weight room could not. He would spend the next six weeks going from rehabilitation sessions to weight-room workouts.

More remarkably considering his season spent with a scowl, he worked without complaint, even beginning his rehabilitation before the tests were done. He is expected to be removed from the injured list tonight, less than seven weeks since the injury.

"The injury made him see, `I could get hurt and I could be done,' " Falsone said. "It woke him up. If you told me last year he'd be like this, I never would have believed it. I knew he'd give me more. I didn't know he'd give me everything. It's completely night and day. He's a totally different person."

The change ends with weight-room attendance. It began with an attitude change, as if Cato cut loose baggage that had weighed him down.

There had seemed little reason for Cato to feel burdened last season. He had been freed from the end of the Portland Trail Blazers bench, designated Hakeem Olajuwon's successor and rewarded with an act of faith in the form of a six-year, $42 million contract.

But Cato resisted training, felt persecuted by officials and never took to coaching.

But an offseason scolding by his mother and counseling by Rockets vice president Carroll Dawson seemed to allow Cato to call off his fight with the world and instead find a place in it.

"I'm stronger physically and mentally, mentally, definitely," Cato said. "I got a little stronger (physically). That can't hurt. I've been lifting every day with Anthony Falsone. Mentally, I'm real positive right now. I don't have any problems with anything. My family is great. Everything is great with me.

"I was real distraught when I got hurt. I didn't know the severity of it. I didn't know how long I was going to be out. I didn't know anything. When I heard six to eight weeks, I thought, `Man, that's a long time.' To come back in six, 6 1/2, I feel good."

Cato's sudden dedication to his workouts is the most obvious sign of his new outlook.

Actually, an even better indication might be a broader, stronger set of shoulders that inspired Cato to walk around shirtless longer and teammates to chide him for his still not chiseled, but obviously strengthened, physique.

But it says more that he has worked out so consistently even though he has not learned to enjoy workouts. He still must force himself to work out, but he has.

"I still don't like lifting," Cato said. "But it makes my body look better, and it might make my game better. I'm going to do whatever it takes to make myself a better player. The Rockets put a big investment in me. So far, I haven't been able to live up to it. But mentally I have. That was one of the main things C.D. was worried about, my mental approach. I've done a good job of that. I started lifting now. It's just going to keep getting better and better.

"The Rockets have given me time. They never said we're going to give you this money so next year you'll come out and give up 20 points per game. They said we'll give you this money to be here to try to help make this team better. That's what I'm here for.

"Nobody will ever replace Dream, nobody they can draft, nobody they can bring in, nobody. Tim Duncan might have been the last good center/power forward to come out of college and change the complexion of a team. I can't replace Dream. With the style of play we play in, we have four guys that go score every night, one-guards, two-guards. If I go out there and rebound, get the same number of rebounds he got when he was coming up and block some shots like he did, the Rockets will be happy."

The Rockets have been happy with the change. They also know that it is just a start. The season is beginning again for Cato. The team is winning, taking its best record of the season into tonight's game against the Denver Nuggets.

But even before the Rockets were four games better than .500, the change in Cato was clear. Instead of helping them, it helped him rejoin them on schedule.

"He can go with the flow a lot more than he used to," Rockets coach Rudy Tomjanovich said. "I don't know if he was fighting or resisting. But he's not. Nothing's changed on our side. It all comes from his side, knocking the barriers down. It's a step in the right direction.

"We'll see. It should be a big plus. There is a little fitting in to the whole that's important. But I think he's willing to do that."

Cato is not even concerned with how he is used. He is not worried with much of anything, including explaining the change in him. To Cato, it's simple.

"I'm just a lot happier," Cato said. "I can't explain it, but I know I'm happier. Last year, we had so many injuries. We had so many changes. I went from a contender to a team fighting for a playoff spot that fell real, real short. Now we're a team that everybody gets along, everybody's got great attributes, ways to contribute to the team. We're almost all young. We know what our strengths are. We know who our go-to guys are. We know what Dream can give us. It's a good mix. I'm happy here. I love the weather. I am happy.

"Things have changed with Rudy. I have a good rapport with Rudy and the coaches, a lot better than last year. I'm happy. I feel blessed to be here."

------------------
    http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/houstonrockets2000

2. ROCKETBOOSTER

ROCKETBOOSTER Member

Now thats posoitive!!

It's going to be hard trying to find him playing time, he'll definitely have to earn it. Slowly but surely he'll work his way back in, and become a defensive force that impacts games for us.

------------------

3. DEANBCURTIS

DEANBCURTIS Member

I truly think Kelvin will play to his potential (preseason last year) when he returns, maybe not in the first game or even in the first week but give him time and the Catomic Bomb shall explode.

p.s. Sorry about the lame pun [​IMG]

------------------
    Ceo of the Walt Williams fan club. Web site coming soon

atheistalliance.org

[This message has been edited by DEANBCURTIS (edited December 16, 2000).]

4. Francis3

Francis3 Member

Wow, Im impressed.

------------------
    Vice President of the Jason Collier fan club!

5. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

im glad he upbeat and positive, but i also wish he would think about putting up solid scoring numbers(10-13) so that we would have a good low post scorer if dream leavves, mo leaves, webber doesnt come, or if we dotn draft a big man.

6. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

That was a pretty heavy coat of glass the Chron put on for the Rockets.

I'm glad Cato's changed his attitude, but the feel-good articles the Chronicle puts out on occassion often leads people (or me) to expect more than they should. But, if Cato can out-rebound Mo Taylor, I'll be happy.

------------------
    RealGM
    Rockets Draft Obligations Summary
    http://www.gaffordstudios.cjb.net/

7. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

We shouldn't expect much scoring from Cato. If he would just rebound, block shots and run the floor, that would be perfect. One of the problems the Rockets have had with their small line up is that they don't have big men who can run the floor beyond Taylor and Thomas. Cato gives them a big presence even if they go with 3 guards.

To go with Moochie, Francis and Mobley is great, but a frontcourt of Bullard and Taylor or even Bullard and Thomas is underwhelming. This gives Rudy more options when Bull isn't hitting the 3's and/or when Thomas/Taylor are in foul trouble or not hitting shots.

Hakeem is great in the half court, but how many times have we heard this season, "Hakeem hasn't made it across half court yet." When the team gets running, Olajuwon has a tough time keeping up. Hell, if you are 37 and you can keep up with a bunch of athletic 23-year-olds, I'd like to see it!!! [​IMG]

------------------
    Mmmmmmm. Sacrelicious.

8. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

Sometimes it takes a real jolt to knock someone out of a bad habit. Cato was obviously turning it around during the off season. This small setback may turn out to be the thing that keeps his mindset and work ethic in the right place.

If I thought I was going to be able to go out and prove to people that I was good at my job and a setback kept me from doing that, the next chance I got would be even more important to me. Carpe Diem Kelvin.

------------------

9. slcrocket

slcrocket Contributing Member

That is a GREAT article. With Cato in the past, I was only a fan of his because he was a Rocket. But if he can play the way he is starting to BELIEVE he can, he's going to turn into one of my favorites.

------------------
    Jazzkiller

10. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

If Cato can come back and give maybe 9 boards, 2 blocks and keep up the "D" in the paint...I would be exceptionally happy with him..any thing over that would be a bonus.

I think <<< negative thought stripped >>> !!!!!

Bring on the Nuggies!!! [​IMG]

------------------
    Give It To Moochie!
    President of the Moochie Norris fan-club

11. IndianPlaya

IndianPlaya Contributing Member

That article really makes me excited to see the new and improved cato. Even though he won't score much , i wanna see his awesome dunks. It will also be tight to see two shot blockers (hakeem and cato) on the floor at the same time. I am really looking forward to this game tontite, to see the new Kato.

------------------

12. Francis3

Francis3 Member

The new KATO? I never even seen KATO. [​IMG]

But I think Kelvin Cato on the rockets will have to take time getting back in the game form. By the way, his dunks are all the same.

------------------
    President of the Moochie Norris fan club & Vice President of the Jason Collier fan club!

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I would be satisfied if he was a rebounding monster, that would free Mo up to just score.

DaDakota

------------------
    If Mankind evolved from Monkeys and Apes, then why are there still Monkeys and apes?

14. DaneB

DaneB Member

I truely believe that he can continue his domination from the preseason two seasons ago, but it is all up to him. If he were to play his heart out each and every night like Karl Malone (hate to say it), Houston would have the most dominating front court and back court in the NBA. At the very least Cato should be able to play better than Theo Ratliff.

------------------
    http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/houstonrockets2000

15. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

As much as I hate Malone..if Cato were to put out half the energy and hustle that the Elbow-man puts out..we would indeed have an awesome frontcourt.(providing Dream continues the revitilization of his game)

BTW
    Whats the news on when Collier is due back?

------------------
    Give It To Moochie!
    President of the Moochie Norris fan-club

16. idrockfan

idrockfan Contributing Member

Give him a little time and I think we will be pleased with Cato's output. Besides, any kind of help defensively is a bonus.

------------------

17. themugg

themugg Member

I hope he comes out firing away!

------------------
    TheMugg