1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is there anyway the Rockets could get another center?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by roflmcwaffles, Jan 14, 2007.

1. alexcapone

alexcapone Contributing Member

With the Chron report of yao only coming back by sometime in March there absolutley has to be a move made to pick up another big. While Hayes is a solid rebounder, he's too small to back up deke and is wayy too foul prone. Besides what Deke is doing right now is phenomenal but you cannot possibly expect him to sustain this level of play throughout the season and the playoffs as well. JVG has been closely monitoring Deke's total minutes for the season and I'm sure its because the Rox are trying to find a stopgag replacement...someone who can body up on defense and possibly someone we can get some offensive production out of.

2. Ehsan

Ehsan Member

I second this thought.

He is the kind of guy who could be useful whether Yao is healthy or not.

I would do it if they took Juwan's contract in whatever trade. Maybe Juwan and Sura for Lafrentz? I wouldn't mind throwing in a 2nd rounder there I guess.

Lafrentz/Deke/Hayes is an EXCELLENT temporary solution, and when Yao comes back, our frontcourt depth will be extremely good.

Yeah, we all know that Lafrentz makes a ton of money. But we owe Juwan around 15M after this season and Sura 3.5M. We would owe Lafrentz 20M I believe? So basically, we're spending a few million for a good short-term and long-term (couple of years) solution.

3. matty101

matty101 Member

Can i Ask you what Rafe Lafrentz gives us that Juwan Howard doesnt. Yes he might have a but more range but i would take an inform Juwan who knows his role in this team over a guy who has splinters from the bench this year. Plus we could use Suras expiring contact on a pg and keep our second rounder...

Just doesnt make sense to me. Lafrentz isnt that good. Is he?

4. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

If Bonzi doesnt work out here the Rockets could probably talk to the Pistons about Dale Davis, Nzar Mohammed or Antonio McDyess.

Bonzi alone can match salaries for Davis. For McDyess and Mohammed you could add Sura's contract.

If the Pistons add C-Webb to their front court, they will look to move one of their Bigs.

Davis is an expiring contract. McDyess has another year at a player option that he likely will take. Mohammed was just signed to the full MLE. But is young and could play backup center for many years behind Yao when Deke retires.

Also, another Big that doesn't get ANY playing time is Scot Pollard in Cleveland. Cleveland would probably give him away for part of our TE. I think Pollard's contract is expiring.

5. windfern

windfern Member

I'm sure Deke can hold the line for us. This could be his last year in teh NBA and I'm sure he'll do whatever he can to make people remember him this way.

6. Hobbs

Hobbs Member

Dale Davis and Flip Murray for Sura and Bonzi.

Dale is still a very solid big guy and would fit perfectly with Gundy's style. He won't score much but he rebounds, plays defense, and is physical.

7. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

Um...there's a reason folks like Scott Pollard are not playing.

I would only give Sura's contract our 2nd round pick for a player like Pollard.

Sura should retire to open up a 10 day contract for a bruiser from the D-league.

8. KALIKULI

KALIKULI Contributing Member

Totally agree! :)

9. cdxiong

cdxiong Contributing Member

We need a back up for Mutombo right now, what if he goes down?

10. htownbball

htownbball Member

melvin ely? part of the TE, can play both PF and C as a backup.

11. Sextuple Double

Now I've seen everything. People calling for Raef Lafrentz.

12. RocketsMac

RocketsMac Member

LOL dude..

what a coincidence!!

I was watching the Portland-Denver game on NBA TV and I was disgusted with how bad this guy sux!! he is a total scrub out there! I dont know if it was a bad night or something because I haven't really been following this guy. but dang, he is terrible! :eek:

13. Ehsan

Ehsan Member

Is Lafrentz that good? No.

But I have no faith in J-Ho's play. This is the equivalent of Deke grabbing 20 rebounds a night, T-Mac averaging 35ppg, and Battier dropping 25ppg. it happens, but it's definitely a streak. If you think about it, this team is creating miracles to win. Battier is dropping points, T-mac is tearing it up averaging 30/10/6 and Deke is averaging something like 15 rebounds per game since Yao went out. Juwan is also playing out of his mind.

When Yao comes back,w e're going to g to Chuck more for sure. t's just that Howard can score, and that's good because Deke can't score.

So why Lafrentz? Because:

1) They both have career averages of 46.8% from the field. The difference is that Raef takes 2.6 3pters a game for his career while Juwan doesn't take them. Meaning, within the arc, Raef is definitely shooting a better percenteage than Juwan. We can conclude this because Raef's 3pt% is not better than his FG%.

2) Now let's talk about 3-pt range. Raef has hit 36.7% of his 3's throughout his career. What does that mean? He would be the next best shooter after Battier and Head on this team. It's not some paltry number either, he hits a serious amount of shots. 2.6 per game is a big number. Now we've concluded that Raef hits better within the arc and can hit from beyond the arc better than anyone but Battier and Head. Not that he's not as good as them. Just that his career averages are not as good as those two's Rockets average.

3) SIZE. Raef has size. He's an easy 6'11 245lbs. That's why he's a better rebounder than Juwan. No debate here. Over his career, Raef has not been a stellar rebounder but he's always been good and Juwan has always been among the worst rebounding PF's in the league. MORE IMPORTANTLY, Raef can block a buttload of shots. He's always been an excellent shotblocker and that's something this team can use.

In terms of passing they're the same. About the only thing Juwan has on Raef is that he shoots a better FT% which is absolutely useless considering none of them really go to the line at all.

We've tried so hard to get a guy who can hit the 3 playing PF. Battier, Novak, Padgett, Eddie Griffin... IIRC even Mo Taylor was told to extend his range when he was here. This guy can hit the 3 like Battier, can block shots and rebound like Griffin, taller than any of these guys, not a worse low post defender than any of these guys, can play both PF and C, making him useful for now, then after Deke retires he can continue to be the backup 4/5 playing heavy minutes based on matchups.

14. Ehsan

Ehsan Member

I would like to add that I think there are other viable solutions.

It would be nice to get a backup C and a backup PG, both of whom would play 10-15 minutes off the bench and bring at least one skill to the table. Their role is JUST to play some minutes here and there to make sure we don't keep Alston or Deke on the floor too long because they are the two players who seem to lose effectiveness when their minutes extend too much. I think keeping them both at 30 minutes would be ideal.

Some other C options:

Calvin Booth, David Harrison, DJ Mbenga, Scot Pollard, James Lang, Dale Davis, Jarron Collins, Rafael Araujo, Melvin Ely, Kelvin Cato, Joe Smith, Alexander Johnson, and Jake Tsakilidis.

Some PG options:

Darrell Armstrong, Sarunas Jasikevicus, Kevin Ollie, Travis Diener, Dooling, Arroyo, Earl Watson, Brevin Knight (obviously available now), Steve Blake, Antonio Daniels, Delonte West, Jaric, Troy Hudson, Marcus Banks, Dan Dickau, Chris Duhon, Damon Jones.

Prefferably, a penetrating PG and a shotblocking C. I would be happy with one out of each pool of players. Most of those players won't cost more than an expiring or the TE. I've listed disgruntled or out of favor players.

15. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

A healthy Lafrentz would be great. I was a huge fan of him since his Kansas days.

But the guy is made of porcelain. Regardless of what you think of Juwan Howard, you don't take his contract because of it. The injuries have caught up to him, and ruined what could've been a really solid career.

When healthy, Lafrentz was what Eddie Griffin hoped to become - a big guy who could knock down the 3 with terrific accuracy, rebound decently (I suppose Eddie could've been a premier rebounder), and block shots with the best of them. Basically, the consummate role-playing big man.

The injuries have caught up and his athleticism has been sapped. In his 2nd or 3rd year, Lafrentz chased down Kevin Garnett on a breakaway and blocked his dunk attempt. That Lafrentz is gone; he's a shell of what he could've been.

As for the thread premise - there are a couple things to keep in mind.
    1. Big men, especially legit centers, are at a premium in the NBA.
    2. We really only need a backup center for the next 8 weeks or so till Yao returns.

Because of that, you're in a bit of a dilemma. Other teams are more likely to have a greater need for a center than us. They're going to be willing to pay a premium price for any decent center on the market. So, we can either pay the premium cost for a 3rd string center (such as a pick for a guy who can't get off the bench for Charlotte), or try and make do with what we have.

With a much bigger need for Rafer insurance right now, my guess is that the focus of the Rockets' assets will go in that direction.