1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is the tide is turning ~ Rockets becoming Yao's team...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by KingCheetah, Mar 2, 2006.

1. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Yao is playing with an obvious increased fire these days while Tracy has been having tough times (both mentally and physically) over the course of the season.

As is being discussed in this thread Yao is averaging an impressive 20/ 10 double/ double on the season. This is indicative of a player who ‘gets it’ and is making the move towards superstardom.

Yao's play this season (particularly since returning from injury) is certainly at a level worthy of his lofty draft status.

How do you think T-Mac will react if the team clearly becomes centered around Yao while Tracy moves into more of a supporting role?

Do you feel that JVG is hindering or helping Yao trek toward the elite level of NBA players?

Do you disagree with the whole notion that the team is becoming centered around Yao?

Thanks for your thoughtful replies ~ KC

2. xlr817

xlr817 Member

I think we should all enjoy Yao's rising numbers and looking real good. He looks like he's startin' 2 come around like we ALL expected! :)

3. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Obviously from the very beginning this is the Yao Ming we all hoped for. I don't think Tracy McGrady is of the Kobe Bryant persuasion that this team is his no matter what dominant force exists in the paint. If by next season Yao is putting up 25/12 while T-mac is contributing 20-22 ppg I'd say we have a great chance of taking that next step as a team... as long as Alston continues to distribute the ball and we find a couple of guys who can knock down the open shots.

4. hieuytran

hieuytran Member

dare i say KG for tmac...i know KG is a little older but tmac health problems arent going to get better with age and KG hasnt ever had a real serious injury....a frontcourt of yao and KG would be nice and we can fill in serviceable perimeter players...

5. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Of course, the team is CENTERed around Yao. What other position does he play? ;)

Seriously, don't get carried away, at least not yet. TMac is in a slump and might be hurting. But to say that this is Yao's team is premature. Besides, who cares? I don't think either Yao or TMac cares. What they want is winning. Both of them can dominate.

6. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Agreed. A lot of people say that TMac is not as good as Kobe because he doesn't has Kobe's "fire." Well, if you look at it on the flip side. Kobe's "fire" ran Shaq out of town. TMac would never do that to Yao.

Some might say, Kobe allowed Shaq to coexist long enough to win 3 rings. TMac hasn't won anything with Yao. Yao is not Shaq yet. But looks like Yao has a chance to dominate like Shaq, relatively speaking. The only thing that worries me about TMac is his health.

7. solid

solid Contributing Member

I think it is a false question, they have and will continue to coexist, a kind of pardnership. Their egos will not clash like Shaq and Kobe. On a particular night one may perform better than the other, and hopefully in the playoffs they will play equally well. Besides, Ming would not want that.

8. happyricky

happyricky Contributing Member

Well said! Let's come back to this topic after we make this year's playoff first. It means nothing for both of them to become the leader of a lottery team.

9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I been telling ya'll this for a while

Rocket River

10. Xenochimera

Xenochimera Contributing Member

i can't believe these type of threads. one player is having a tough period so we have to trade him?? remember all those threads about trading yao when he wasn't doing so hot?? i say we just stick to what we have now. and i doubt the team will be centered around yao, mcgrady is still a more expericenced player.

11. cenbo416

cenbo416 Contributing Member

For the Rockets' best, this is Yao & T-Mac's team. When They both dominate and we have some good shooters, we are tough to beat.

12. KingCheetah

One poster mentioned a trade -- this does not make it the topic of the thread. :)

To the forum:

Do you think Tracy might be more comfortable playing in more of a supporting role to Yao instead of vice versa?

IMHO opinion Tracy has never appeared to be completely comfortable as a leader especially when his team is going through a rough period. Do you think this is a fair assumption?

13. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Ever since 2002!!!

14. anitasri

anitasri Member

This is such a juvenile question? THis is Les Alexander's team- as far I am concerned this is Houston's team.

15. pradaxpimp

pradaxpimp Contributing Member

hopefully our rookies develop much over the summer. Especially Luther Head. If he can consistenlty knock down open 3's, lets sign him to the max and give him a 7 year deal.

16. KingCheetah

This isn't a competition between Yao and Tracy they're in this together for the long-haul...

-except-

there is usually one player who is the team's go to guy ~ that guy for the Rockets has been Tracy since he arrived from Orlando. Do you think this might be changing? :)

17. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

Yao can be considered one of the best in the league considering there is only 5 total people averaging a double double if i am not mistaken. That's some pretty elite company.

18. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

And when Yao "kicks the bucket" he will walk up to the bucket and kick it.

19. noize

noize Contributing Member

C'mon guys, don't get carried away here. Yes Yao is playing great, if not the best in his career, but its absurd to think this will be Yao's team with a player of T-Mac calibre. We are talking about a Kobe equivalent player here when healthy and he's ony 26 yrs old. I promise you, he will be back to his old form. He's goin through some tough time metally and physically as does all super-star. I don't think Yao could accept this as his team anyway. As T-Mac said, the offense runs through him and Yao. This is Yao and T-Mac's team all the way until the very end.

20. Tree-Mac

Tree-Mac Contributing Member

i don't think mcgrady cares about this matter. the team was already meant to build around yao right after he was drafted. he just needed time to grow.