1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is the Bagwell Situation getting a little Sketchy?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by rocketfat, Mar 14, 2006.

1. rocketfat

rocketfat Member

the season is 2 weeks away, and the goal for bagwell was supposedly to be re-inserted as our full-time 1st baseman. standing around the bag for one game with little to no-action and barely having to throw the ball then having to sit the following 2 games seems like a pretty strong indicator to me.

once again, this is just my observation, which i am sure as sh*t entitled to. i personally was hoping for a cinderella story with bags.

who knows...i was just wondering if everything the past few days has been mysteriously quiet to you guys too. i guess we'll see what happens tonight.

2. Buck Turgidson

Jeebus! This is a bit ridiculous.

Read more. There's a few dozen articles on astros.com with lots & lots of quotes from Bags, Garner, Purp, etc... that'll answer all your questions for you.

Long story short, nobody knows nada yet. They have a plan for Spring Training, they're following that plan. We'll see what happens.

3. rocketfat

rocketfat Member

are there? link them then. link articles from the last 3 days about any of them saying bagwell is going to sit for 2 games following his only game in the field, because i have looked, and haven't seen a single quote mentioning it.

4. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Why start a new thread essentially asking the exact same question your other thread did? As others have posted (in both threads), wander over to Astros.com and read some of their past articles. Go to chron.com and find articles concerning the Astros.

5. rocketfat

rocketfat Member

because the powers that be locked if because they didnt agree with the title. now, once again, instead of making claims that you have seen articles that allude to him sitting the last 2 days, why dont you link them here?

6. bobrek

Here you go...

http://houston.astros.mlb.com/NASAp...d=1345058&vkey=spt2006news&fext=.jsp&c_id=hou

And in case your reading comprehension skills are lacking, this is in that article:

"The true test will be how he feels on Sunday. He'll have two games off, while the team travels to Vero Beach on Sunday and Dunedin on Monday. Even a fully healthy Bagwell probably wouldn't have played in those games anyway, considering Garner will give a handful of veterans -- Bagwell, Lance Berkamn, Craig Biggio, Orlando Palmeiro -- a break from the upcoming road trips."

7. bobrek

And if you want me to do any more legwork for you, you'll have to make a donation to the Tip Jar.

8. rocketfat

rocketfat Member

like i said, i guess we'll see what happens tonight.

9. Buck Turgidson

Jeff Bagwell awoke Sunday morning and immediately lifted his right arm to rotate it as though he were throwing a baseball.

Bracing to see how his right shoulder would feel, he exhaled with appreciation after realizing it wasn't as sore as he had expected.

A day after playing the field for the first time since May 3, 2005, Bagwell was pleasantly surprised. The Astros' unquestioned leader's hope of playing this season remains alive.

"It wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be," Bagwell said. "(Saturday) night at around five or six I thought it was bad. But today I don't feel too bad.

"I can tell when I wake up how I feel. I move my arm in a throwing direction and it's either yea or nay. Today it was yeah. I was happy."

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/ortiz/3719030.html

10. Miguel

Miguel Contributing Member

:mad: :mad:

I quoted it in the last thread.

He's not going to come back and throw the ball around the horn 80 times in his first game back. Yes, of course, there's still a good chance that he won't be able to sustain throwing over a 162 game season no matter how much/little he throws or plays, but just because he's sitting two games (as is Biggio, Berkman) doesn't mean there's necessarily a problem. I'll leave it at that for now, I'll have more time to rant while I'm at work.

11. msn

msn Member

Why don't you find out for yourself?

Seriously dude, you come in here and flagellate all over the board with questions whose answers are found on the front page of several news articles. Then you get mad when people ask, "Didn't you see/hear/read?"

Then you call someone names, and in the midst of your ad hominem, explain that he is what's wrong with IBBs today. Wow.

If you're struggling that hard with internet research, here a couple of basic places to begin:
    1) To learn about the Astros, try http://www.astros.com
    2) To search the entire web on different subjects, try http://www.google.com

(I was being facetious on purpose.)

12. jtotheb

jtotheb Contributing Member

Please lock this thread

13. Bobblehead

Bobblehead Contributing Member

I've got maybe a dumb question...but what has Bagwell REALLY done for the city of Houston?? Unlike Biggio who is very much attached to the sunshine kids and other charities...I honestly don't know or can't remember what Baggy has done outside the staduim for Houston. Please help me.

Also, the day the Astros win a World Series will be sweet and the taste won't be the least bitter because Bagwell is not on the team. Gimme a break people. Don't you want the team to win? Loyalty means nothing nowadays. It's cool that Bags and Biggio have been here for so many years. But I think this whole "icon" thing is crazy. If he can't play 1st as a REGULAR and make $18mil doing it, then he should walk away. If not, he's a geedy SOB! PERIOD!! I love the guy...BUT I love the Astros more!

Just my thoughts!!

14. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

He's given me the pleasure and joy of watching the same person at 1B since 1991 without being a dick or someone who gets into trouble with the law. I appreciate that.

15. msn

msn Member

Unless one values loyalty.

The pendulum of society's current consciousness concerning mores and values variegates almost as badly as the attention span of a child with ADHD; but that does not change the core value of them. Loyalty is valuable, whether or not it's regularly practiced or commonly recognized currently in our society.

16. Buck Turgidson

He's a very, very private guy.

Loyalty means nothing nowadays.[/QUOTE]
    To you, obviously.

17. Bobblehead

Ok..I see that. It has been nice seeing the same face at 1st for such a long time. But still, he's never had the personality and warmth you get from Biggio. In fact, for the most part, Bags never seemed happy to play. He always looked annoyed..and to me...that transends into the way a lot of people think of him. it is a child's game after all. If I made that money to play baseball...I'd be grinning from ear to ear.

18. msn

msn Member

449 bombs, all in a Houston uniform.

With help from others, 6 appearances in the playoffs in the last 9 years, and 2nd place finish or better every year since 1994. Damn.

The pleasure of watching a multi-millionaire bust his ass like a $13/hour factory worker, day in and day out, for 15 years. Just because he loves it.

Folks, we're not arguing in Houston about the twilight of the career of yet another great Yankee. This guy has put together a career about whose end the world is talking, and he did it in Houston, in an Astros uniform.

19. msn

msn Member

I disagree completely! Perhaps you're mostly remembering the last few years, and it wasn't "unhappiness to play" that you saw, it was debilitating pain. If you had $20 million dollars, and the only thing you love to do caused you searing pain, and it hurt to comb your hair or brush your teeth, I'd surmise that your grin would fade pretty quickly.

Bags has always been very frank with the media, and the fans (including this one) love him. Bidge, also loved by the fans, has always struck me as a cliché machine. It seems a little easier, at least to me, to embrace someone who actually *says* something during an interview!

20. Bobblehead

What I meant was that loyalty means nothing to PLAYERS noawdays. I'm very loyal to my family, friends, company, etc.....
    But the only loyalty MOST players have is to the almighty buck.
    Do you think Bags stayed around for Houston?? No...because he got the dough he wanted and liked it here. Rest assured, if he would have ever been a free agent and the Red Sox came calling with a hige offer, he would be gone so fast your head would spin.