1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is the AFC South really the worst division in the league?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Nimo, Nov 7, 2016.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Then be a Cowboys fan if you think their 2 playoff wins is more impressive than the Texans' 2 playoff wins. There's simply no reason to complain about this season given what the Texans had to overcome.....and considering that plenty of "Texans fans" that post here were expecting 9 wins to be the ceiling this season even before they knew about the injuries the team would have to overcome.

I get wanting more, but at some point that's ridiculous. It would be like complaining that a kid at the special olympics didn't break a world record and "only" got the gold.

2. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

Let's go ahead and win this last game 45-0 to end the season on the plus side of the point differential.

Nimo likes this.
  3. Nimo

Nimo Member

Why are you all so in love with point differential. 1. The Texans team that wasn't getting blown out in the beginning of the season is not the same as this season. The last loss by multiple scores was at Denver back in October. A whole two months ago. This is not the same team. They have been in every game since.

This division has quality wins against the lions, packers (two different teams), broncos, vikings, chiefs (two different teams). And you're still hanging on to their losses over two months ago (even though they still had a winning record then).

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well in other sports it matters a lot more and so people who are big into those sports who are only casual fans of the NFL can get confused that way. For example, in the NBA or MLB point or run differential is a good way to get a sense of how good teams are because they play enough games to cut down the influence of outliers.

I'm sure Iggles fans really care that they are +22 along with their 6-9 record and the Colts might actually hang a banner over their +15 to go with their 7-8.....but they both are going to miss the playoffs while Dolphins fans are perfectly fine with their +4 to go with at least 10 wins while Bills fans sit at home with their +41 and at least 8 losses.

5. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Never understood this line of thinking.....

If you think another franchise is better than yours, then switch franchises.

How about just recognizing reality?

This season, the complaint is Brock. But, it's not only about this season. It's not even about the 15 years the Texans have existed. HOU had football long before then, and through bad luck and general suckage it's never really been much.

The lack of success doesn't mean my fandom will cease.

6. Houstunna

Supporting Member

Reduced competition mostly explains the Texans not getting blown out recently. Their most difficult games were early on. They did well vs OAK though.

Point-diff is just an extra factor in evaluating teams. The better it is, usually the better the team is.

Specifically regarding the Texans this season, I'd want a better point-diff to avoid making notorious history.

#86 Houstunna, Dec 26, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2016
  7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

My point was if you can't recognize success when it happens "for your team" but you recognize the same level or lesser levels of "success" for other franchises, maybe you aren't pulling for the right team. You can feel free to whine about Brock, but it doesn't change the fact that if the team was healthy, they are likely a 12 or 13 win team this season. If you can't see that as a success, what are you doing?

8. Houstunna

Supporting Member

Have I not recognized the Texans success? Most posters seemed to be happy when Bullock went Bullock.

Cowboys success goes beyond 15 measly seasons, but they've still been respected each season regardless of the outcome. Don't blame the messenger.

As for injuries, that's why i mentioned bad luck. The '11 squad could've done something with Schaub, he had to go. Same goes with Renfro catch.... instant replay probably fixes that. It's either suckage or bad luck. Maybe the future gets more bright.

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's one way of saying it, another is that "Cowboys haven't had success in 20 years", or at least not any success by the way you define it.

10. Houstunna

Supporting Member

I'm not getting into long convo propping DAL, just saying 1) they've earned some down time and 2) their success goes beyond just winning games. They are well respected even during the last 20 years.

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well respected by who? Is this about the national media not sucking the dick of the Texans the way they do for other franchises? There's literally nothing anyone can do to get that to happen. The Texans could win the Super Bowl this year and they wouldn't get "respect" from the national media or from certain segments of their own fanbase. If we're honest, those aren't people that matter.

12. Houstunna

Supporting Member

Well respected by most.... media, fans, advertisers, and haters like you and me too. Most people have an opinion whether it's love or hate.

There's no choice but to respect something that's constantly in your face and has experienced major winning.

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

They haven't had "success" as you define it in over 20 years but every time they are even halfway decent you have everyone talking them up as if they are world beaters, it's not much different than college teams like Notre Dame. You put up with the over hyping of teams like that, but you certainly don't have to "respect" it.....and I honestly don't want the Texans to be like that.

14. Houstunna

Supporting Member

Saying that is saying you don't like the Texans current situation in Houston. They are easily over-hyped compared to the Rockets and Astros successes.

There's a thread in the GARM about this, specifically regarding local sports radio.

Do you not like the Texans being overhyped in Houston?

Don't make me research your posts in that thread. If you never posted in it, then don't proclaim your "not liking hype" now.

#94 Houstunna, Dec 26, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2016
  15. Nimo

Nimo Member

Is that it though? Only losses that were more than one score were the Patriots, Vikings, and Broncos. The Raiders (with Carr), Lions, and the Packers (running the table) are a comparable trio. And the latter trio were in the last 8 games.

Sure it is an extra factor. But you can't look at a team that could win 10 games and say well it's a fluke because of the point differential. Take out the Vikings and Patriots games and the point differential is +4.

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The Texans aren't overhyped, I mean, they completely dominate their division and have 2 losing seasons in the last 10....

I'm not really saying that I don't like hype, I'm saying that it is pointless. You can be overhyped garbage like the Cowboys have been nearly every season in the past 20 years, would that make you happy?

Hell, the way some of the "Texans fans" here talk about the Texans, you'd think they were awful, yet they've won their division 4 of the past 6 seasons. I highly doubt you'd find many "fans" of other teams whining about that being "mediocre".....but then there's "Texans fans".

The Seahawks are about to win their division, which is actually the worst division in the NFL this season, for the 4th time in 7 seasons with the same record the Texans have. Think their "fans" think they are mediocre?

17. Houstunna

Supporting Member

Texans have been a mediocre franchise over the last 10 seasons, yet receive 90% of the Houston media coverage. Rockets haven't been much better (or worse), but you think they're deserve <10%?

DAL has mostly been mediocre the last 20 years. Surely your learned self knew that.

Why go overboard and say "garbage"?...... Because they make you emotional. You hate them, but respect them. You really don't have a choice because they're always in your face.

You're not really arguing SEA's recent success compared to the Texans.

If the Texans had similar success, the entire South would get more props.

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

LOL, you sound A LOT like a Cowboys fan.....just saying.

19. Nimo

Nimo Member

It is less about Texans/Rockets than it is NFL/NBA. Each NFL game matters so much more than one of 82 NBA games.The NFL has set up its schedule to have events about every couple of months. Every game and every event is much more significant. It's even worse in Texas. When the Mavs were winning they still got less coverage than the 8-8 Cowboys. Add in that Rockets and Astros lost fans with that Comcast debacle.

sidenote: the person you are debating with is on my ignore list so I don't see the whole conversation.

marks0223 likes this.
  20. Houstunna

Supporting Member

Texans played better. Lions being a home game helped. It's crazy those closer games are still a bigger margin than ALL our victories post-Week 1. Texans have major health issues, so they'll roll with what they're dealt. Hope for better QB play, and more health in future seasons.