1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Rudy dissapointed with Yao?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cmellon, Jan 16, 2003.

1. cmellon

cmellon Member

Why do I get a feeling that Rudy is a little dissapointed with drafting Yao instead of Amare? :(

NBA.com recap:

"Stoudemire is really something," Rockets coach Rudy Tomjanovich said. "He's got the heart that Dream (Hakeem Olajuwon) had, (he's like) Shawn Kemp had early in his career. I told him, 'You're going to be a great player, you're a very good player now.'"

As for Yao, Tomjanovich's advice was to shrug it off.

"It's the NBA. It's tough, you're going to have your ups and downs. Yao's got to expect these games. Sometimes you're going to be a zero," Tomjanovich said.

2. ESource

ESource Member

3. Jonhty

Jonhty Member

I don't think Rudy is dissapointed with Yao. why should he? we won the game and Yao contributed. Rudy was just speaking the truth. Amare was the better player tonight.

4. getsmartnow

getsmartnow Contributing Member

So if Marbury had a good game, and Rudy points it out. And Francis has a bad game, and Rudy points its out. Does that mean that he is dissapointed at having Francis??

I think he was just pointing out the obvious....Yao didn't have as good a game as Amare did.

5. DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver Member

Rudy was just being diplomatic and a gracious winner. Not everyone is blessed with Stephon Marbury's big mouth. :D

6. carayip

carayip Member

What else could Rudy T say? He's asked about the guy so he's going to need to praise the guy (although he seems to use that Dream comparison a bit too often IMO).

Stat wise, Marbury also had a better game than Francis. And if Rudy T is asked about Marbury, I am sure he would praise him as well. But that didn't mean that he liked him more than Francis.

7. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

What in the hell are you talking about? I know Rudy showed Amare some love after the game, but come on.

Ming will win the MVP, right it down.

8. montgo

montgo Contributing Member

If Yao would have hit his chippies (which he got with ease on every player), then his line would have read something like 21/7/5 and 5 blocks. Which, when you compare it to Stoudemire's line is a draw and even can be said that is better, because of the blocks and defense.

Sure, Stoudemire or manchild II has we can now call him, took the offensive game because he looked more explosive and shot more, but Yao took the Defensive game! I thought Yao's defense was better that Stoudemire's for sure. Yao caused them to change their shots a lot inside which is why Marbury and Stoudemire shot a combine 39%!!! Also, had Yao taken 20-23 shots like Stoudemre instead of his 13, he probably would have comparable offensive numbers......but we have a more balanced team and do not have to have him taking 20 shots ona nightly basis!!!! (I cannot believe I said this, but balance was the key tonight and a lot of Mobley)

9. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

Its called class..:rolleyes:

Rudy is always going to try to talk about the positive. Face it, Amare played a good game..he was asked about it...he responded with praise for the youngster's game..

Why do you have a problem with that?

geez, you guys are always looking for the bad instead of focusing on the good...and make no mistake, there was lots of good to look at in this game.
    Cat on fire
    Steve distributing the rock
    low turnovers
    Yao's defense
    Posey's overall game...WTG JP!! you rock!

the only real negative I saw was that Steve allowed himself to get sucked into the Sun's mindgames...Marbaby tryed to get into his head earky on, and when that didn't work, they sent Brown to go get at him..

You cannot allow the opposing teams to get into your head Steve! Play smart, play to win..you do noone any good in the lockerroom...

10. Nova

Nova Member

You're reading too much into his comments. Don't overanalyze. Of course RT praises Amare for a good game, and of course he's happy to have drafted Ming....

11. University Blue

I'm disappointed in Yao Ming.

Hey, Colin, translate this for Yao: "Clear space and ****'en slam the ball."

I'm also disappointed in the Houston front office. A lot has been said about Yao not being strong enough to hold his position in the post. If that is true, then find a PF who can clear space for Yao in the post.

(Note to CD: It's not Griffin.)

University (Pet Shop Boys Blues)

12. aaaccchhhooo

aaaccchhhooo Member

i will quote a phrase from someone that was being interviewed..i think it was mobley..people ask him would you take amare over yao?..he answer "amare is gonna be a superstar, but yao is gonna be a francise..." do you want a superstar on your team..or do you want a ring?

13. danjojo

danjojo Member

Puuuuuuuuuuulease....Rudy is just trying to be complimentary to an opponent who just lost a game.

14. X-PAC

X-PAC Contributing Member

I think Rudy is grateful for all that Yao has done for the team. Yao is the number one draft pick that was benched and had limited minutes at the beginning of the season. If Rudy felt that Yao would come in and dominate everyone and his rookie class don't you think he would had brought him in quicker than he did? The assumption is ridiculous. And I believe we are looking too much into the Yao vs Amare performance last night. If its that important to you Yao got the better of the matchup in the first meeting between these two teams and Amare put up bigger numbers this game. But Yao impacts the game so much more than Amare will ever be capable of. Why would Rudy regret picking Yao?

15. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Rudy's just covering for his player...hey, sometimes you're the froth, sometimes you're the dregs.

Make no mistake: I prefer Yao. But I'd take Stoudemire for a PF. Kid is a beast. Imagine this team with Yao and Stud-emire.

16. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

i think most will agree that yao will eventually get us another title or two (or five, ten?). ill stick with him over stud-a-mire.

17. feishen

feishen Member

Yeah, I agree with you. Imagine Rudy picked Amare instead of Yao with that #1 draft pick, would this Rox team be a champion contender down the road. No, I dont think so. Amare's skill is still pretty limited, and he is playing with pure physical strength right now. There is no body in this League can get away by only playing physical game, even Shaq has pretty good skill in terms of passing and 6 footer jumper/hook shot. Whether Amare can have those skills, that is still a big question.

18. sun12

sun12 Member

Even if Amare were Kemp now, and Marbury were Payton, there is no guarantee that Phoenix can win a championship.

The Phoenix team with Barkeley/KJ, the Seattle team with Kemp/Payton, the Utah team with Malone/Stockton never won a championship. Plus, these teams are not a dynasty, they might go to the championship once, maybe twice, but all of them need a good center to win.

19. sun12

sun12 Member

Is Stoudamire only 6'8" ? What's the knock on Brand? Brand is 6'8" and thus undersized to play PF?

If Stoudamire is only 6'8" and do not grow again, I will take Hilario (6'11") over Stoudamire.

20. LLJ

LLJ Member

Maybe Rudy's trying to motivate Yao by keeping him at a distance.

But he really needs to start taking it all the way to the basket again. Hook shots and scoops are well and fine, but this guy needs to be backing people in and dunking again.

And Francis and co need to remind him. They seemed to have let him play finesse again.