1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Morey's strategy still valid for the team?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by LCII, Jan 8, 2014.

1. Omnipotence

Omnipotence Member

Doesn't help when your shooters from the bench i.e. Garcia and Casspi decide to drive and dish rather than shoot 3s.

2. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Of course it isn't. Thats why the only teams that play in June are the ones that don't run his basketball philosophy.

3. RiceRockets

RiceRockets Member

Of course not, because offense is only half the game.

4. meh

meh Contributing Member

Which team before the Rockets with talent ran this strategy but failed in the playoffs?

5. meh

meh Contributing Member

Actually, the best cakes in NBA history has always been most heavily dependent on ingredients. The best ingredients almost always win.

The Rockets don't have the best ingredients.

6. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

We need to go organic.

7. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/housto...ic-instead-signing-jeremy-170300699--nba.html

What If the Houston Rockets Re-Signed Goran Dragic Instead of Signing Jeremy Lin in the Summer of 2012?

8. langal

langal Contributing Member

We would at least be as good as we are now with Goran.

9. JustAGuy

JustAGuy Member

10. JustAGuy

JustAGuy Member

We do have pretty good ingredients, though. We might make up some ground with better mixing and paying constant attention to the cooking temperature.

Wow, that metaphor just doesn't hold up at all.

11. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

Garcia and Casspi both hover around 36% for their career which is ok but not great - but also bring other values to the team though than just their 3pt shooting which is what I believe Morey was looking for in the bench. Having an elite 3pt shooter would be great but I would want that person (Redick, Curry etc) in the starting lineup where his skill would better complement Harden and Howard.

Off the bench though I rather have more versatile guys who can help in other ways and still be above average shooters - which is what Garcia and Casspi are in my book. You look at a guy like Novak - elite shooter but he comes in off the bench with some of the other bench guys and defenses make sure they dont leave him open. Put him in the starting lineup - all his other weaknesses will get exposed.

Do you want a guy like that in crunch time? Probably not - from what I have seen so far this season both Casspi and Garcia are pretty versatile players and the proverbial "jack of all trades" type players which dont mean much in the NBA in terms of becoming an all-star but off the bench - i want those guys.

the problem again is still the injuries at key positions that have hurt in terms of those guys being able to get their own roles down and getting comfortable.

We have yet to have a steady PG rotation - its like either Bev or Lin are hurt at all times. Parsons has missed time forcing Garcia to start. and with Asik and Smith hurt you have a lot of these guys having to play in roles and small ball lineups off the bench which isnt to their strengths

Once everyone is back healthy and hopefully Asik is back as well - and a better more consistent rotation can properly develop I think the shooters will also get a better rhythm and the team can be even more dangerous offensively

12. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

The Rockets are the only team that runs their philosophy.

13. JustAGuy

JustAGuy Member

To the extent that is true, it won't last.

14. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

3rd efficient means nothing when a top team traps you in the half-court and suffocates you.

Like the Thunder did, like the Pacers did. You can be a great team, but we want to be the best.

We need some form of a half-court offense. We don't need a complicated offense, but we need structure in the half-court set. Not this constant drive and kick nonsense.

15. rox4lyf

rox4lyf Member

16. Knightrogen

Knightrogen Member

You can't go back to time and change your mind.

If Lin has the same usage rate, I bet Lin's number will look a lot better. Just saying

17. whozee

whozee Member

This.

IMHO Brownies are the way to go, cakes are so 2013

18. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

The stars shoot what they want to shoot, everybody else shoots 3's is used by both of last year's nba finalists. The difference between us and say San Antonio is that Harden wants to shoot 3's, Parker wants to shoot 2's.

Both teams will utilise turning a contested 3 into an uncontested 2, but it's also a personnel thing, Lin is awful at off the dribble jump shots but excellent at the drive, whereas take Bellinelli for example, you'd much rather him pull up at 18 than try to take it to the hole.

#58 Aleron, Jan 14, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2014
  19. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

I can't argue with anything you said.

20. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

i dont mind how we play during the regular season - i think running is a better way to have a deep rotation and keep people fresh.

but we all know we have to be able to play some SERIOUS D in the half court to win in the playoffs.

not sure this team has that type of D in them.