1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is MCW the key to success?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jsingles, Nov 2, 2018.

1. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Not looking for great, just looking for below average. They're perfectly capable. Virtually all of them assisted more before joining the Rockets.

2. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Honestly I’m disappointed that we have used him as a PG. He should never be a primary option. Use him for defense, and run him to the corner.

3. Mathloom

Supporting Member

It's actually not working out to their expectations. Fultz is starting and can't shoot. Embiid hits 30%. Saric is struggling too at 23% for the season. It's hurting them a lot.

Having someone like Simmons handicaps your team, forces you to choose the best shooters rather than the best starting players and then you are still going to face problems if that 1 non-shooter is not the setting the pick on PnR. In the case of Simmons, it's worth restructuring your whole roster and offensive strategy to make it work. For other people, it just doesn't work. Desperate teams will try, but at some point they have to develop a shot to elevate their contribution to team wins.

#83 Mathloom, Nov 7, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
  4. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

can we replace this guy with a high IQ euro PG as cp3’s backup? not Llull of course

5. YOLO

YOLO Member

i dont know about that. you're not much of an efficient passer if you're not drawing much attention. and that's always going to be on harden/cp3 for the most part

6. fryjol7

fryjol7 Member

Well, I agree with your logic, but on the other hand, do you see this Rockets team beating the Warriors? I would say not yet, and since we are 1 week away, i would try a Poppovich and try some things looking forward to the playoffs.

7. MystikArkitect

He can’t shoot though.

8. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

If he could somewhat pull it together he could be. Needs to attack the basket more. Draw the defense and either go for the shot a pick up the foul or dish it out.

Little Bit likes this.
  9. YOLO

YOLO Member

exactly. you can't be a wing in this system and not be a threat on the perimeter. it hurts the team that looks for the open shot and we've already seen that game after game. just a horrible fit all around no matter where you try to play him. only a matter of time til he's let go

10. AB423

AB423 Member

He sucks ass, cant even make free throws

Air Canada likes this.
  11. macan

macan Member

he's mentally broken like ryno did last season..

jojolover likes this.
  12. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

According to new analytical studies

MCW could score 50 points total in 6 games vs Ariza in 12 games.

Take that for data.

13. Mathloom

Supporting Member

To be a good passer yes. To make a an extra pass once in a while, no.

It's always going to be Harden/CP3 and should be, but it can still easily be slightly less without exceeding the abilities of these particular players. We don't have the worst passers in the league. They just choose to pass less. Like I said, they all were better passers before joining us. When that kind of effect hits practically the whole roster, then it's usually a system issue.

hakeem94 likes this.
  14. YOLO

YOLO Member

i don't think passing is much of an issue at all. its just better execution from these passes that's lacking. As evident by extremely poor shooting by some significant rotational players

hakeem94 likes this.
  15. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Sadly, Michael Carter-Williams is shooting a higher raw FG% than Eric Gordon. (.361 vs .321)

Shoutout to Marquisse Chriss who has shot .286.

Clark has played well but is shooting .310, Green .357 (.250 for 3 pointers), and Paul .396 (.295 for 3 pointers).

Our inability to hit open shots is our biggest weakness right now. The D has come around. The energy is there. Gotta make shots. Easy peasy.

dmoneybangbang and hakeem94 like this.
  16. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Ok, I think it's passing and CP3+Gordon missing shots they usually make.

17. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

No worries. We're good.

fryjol7 and hakeem94 like this.
  18. alethios

alethios Member

Those numbers are crap but i'm not worried - the shooting will come around. Hopefully, now that we have Bzdelik back, the defense will continue to improve. Still I'm concerned about how crappy our rebounding has been at the beginning of this season. That has to improve.

hakeem94 and napalm06 like this.
  19. davidxhz

davidxhz Member

Hope they can find enough excuses to keep this guy out, we need more minutes for Gary clark, once everybody healthy, we should run out a back up rotation of melo, EG, Gary for major minutes, green and Nene for some spot minutes, if knight is healthy enough to play then green should never see minutes again, i still need to see M Chris on the court before putting him ahead of Nene, but hopefully he can do so, because Nene at this point should just be insurance for our big man rotation for postseason now

20. ThunderStruck

ThunderStruck Member

I don’t know if it is a good combination for the NBA at any point in time. I can’t think of a player who played like him and had the same limitations and was good at any other time. It’s certainly harder than we might give credit for to become really good at certain things, though MCW didn’t seem to improve much in any area. For example, if he became an elite playmaker / passer or an elite defender, that gives you a reason to leave him on the floor despite his limitations. If he became an average outside shooter, that gives him a role, etc.

Sadly for him, he basically still has the same limitations he had as a rookie which makes him an inefficient stat stuffer on a G-League level NBA team, or a guy who is 3rd string / injury replacement on any sort of good team.

He’ll likely end up as one of those guys who has some nice physical tools and a few skills that makes teams excited, but not the IQ and not a refined enough skill set for any team to end up keeping him. Kinda like players like Andray Blatche, Earl Clark, etc

#100 ThunderStruck, Nov 7, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2018