1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is McHale a championship caliber coach?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by apcgamb24, Jul 21, 2013.

1. apcgamb24

apcgamb24 Member

With the addition of Dwight Howard, a rising superstar in James Harden, along with solid and developing complimentary pieces, it's clear the Rockets are a contender and safe to say they have the talent to challenge for a championship. Now I know McHale did a solid job last year winning 45 games and making the playoffs with a core of all new players, and it's been made evident that he was a big reason why Dwight signed with us, but is he that next-level coach who can bring this team to the conference finals, NBA finals, or even win a championship? There were many times throughout this past year where his decisions were "questionable" and it was noted numerous times by clutchfans members that he made poor rotations and adjustments and the team ran a very limited number of plays. I know he agitated many of us at times and TBH I completely doubted him at one point in the season.

That being said, again you cannot argue with the results. This team exceeded all expectations and made the playoffs, and even in the playoffs he made some great adjustments notably on defense which seemed to work effectively. And I know that along with the players, Dwight will make his job easier. But I just wanted to get your thoughts on how you feel about McHale leading this team and if you think he can lead us to an eventual championship. I know it's unlikely this upcoming year, but somewhere in the near future. I am hopeful he can be, but I am just not sure

And please do not make this about Lin. I am a Lin fan and though I have sometimes questioned McHale's decisions regarding Lin, his system forced Lin to work on his weaknesses and become a better fit playing alongside Harden along with making him a better player overall.

But what am I saying, of course this will descend into another Lin debate..

1 person likes this.
  2. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

McHale will be a championship caliber coach once he gets over his hatred for Lin. Right now he is not a linpionship calinber coach.

#2 Carl Herrera, Jul 21, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  3. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah I was thinking this thread should be titled is mchale a championship caliber coach for Lin?

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

FIRE EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!

5. pollaxt

pollaxt Contributing Member

Then why even bring it up?

But to answer the question, depends on what you mean by "championship caliber". McHale might back into a championship like a Spoelstra due to the immense talent that might eventually be on the roster. But in no way do I consider McHale the kind of a coach to elevate a team beyond their capabilities and out-coach or out-maneuver a Rivers or Popovich.

6. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Mchale is too focused on making Lin look bad and benching him when gets hot to worry about winning. Looks like Dwight agrees with him since Mac was a big part of the pitch.

7. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

Technically, Eric Spolestra is a "championship caliber coach."

If he has players, he can win.

He knows the game well. Did a great job working with KG/Klove in Minny. Coached very well in his lone playoff series here. I think he'll be fine.

8. H-TOWNSFINEST

H-TOWNSFINEST Member

Linteresting...

1 person likes this.
  9. King1

King1 Contributing Member

"Please don't make this about Lin but I'm going to bring it up so it will most certainly turn into a Lin thread because that's my basis for my opinion on McHale anyways".

Gotcha

10. H-TOWNSFINEST

H-TOWNSFINEST Member

Exactly. McHale knows the game well enough and has two superstars who's play will reflect how well McHale utilizes them.

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

In all seriousness, I wasn't a big fan of the McHale hiring, but you can't argue with success, the Rockets managed to be a winning team despite being thrown together at the last minute and drastically changed at the trade deadline. I don't always agree with what he does, but as long as McHale is loved and supported by the team AND the team is still winning and performing above expectations I see no reason to complain about him and certainly no reason to get rid of him.

1 person likes this.
  12. apcgamb24

apcgamb24 Member

Actually, basically every thread on Clutchfans ends up being a Lin debate somehow or another. I mean you of all people should know, right? Since you're a main partaker of those debates in every single one of them? If that wasn't the case with Clutchfans recently, I wouldn't have brought up the Lin thing. But unfortunately I had to since if I didn't it would eventually turn into a debate and name calling against me.

13. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

14. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Of course McHale can be a championship caliber coach. You posters on the GARM do realize that head coaches in the NBA set the top level offensive and defensive strategies for the team, attend organizational meeting and press conferences, and then sign off on assistant coaches developmental plans don't you? Whenever their busy schedule allows they also will attend practices and coach as well as they are able.

One thing you can be certain of is that head coaches do not have the time to delve into minutia like play calling. With organizational responsibilities and 30 people reporting to him the head coach will never have time to get beyond providing guidance for playing time.

So why is McHale a championship caliber coach? Because he fits his system to the available personnel. Will the McHale designated strategy of last season override the addition of Howard? Given McHale's flexibility last season I predict that Howard will be integrated into both the offense and defense seamlessly after the first few weeks of next season. Would anyone really want JVG or MDA coaching this team given their adherence to one overriding team strategy? God I hope we have all learned enough to not support those people for coach.

15. Brandyon

Brandyon Member

Is a championship caliber coach a guy who has won a championship in the past, will win one at some point in his career, or could win one under the proper circumstances?

Everyone and their mother fancied themselves a better coach than Pop after he benched Duncan and the Spurs lost game 6. Maybe they're all championship caliber. Maybe most people just don't have a clue what a being a championship coach entails.

16. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

We'll know in a couple of years.

17. Knickskiller

Knickskiller Member

18. Karolik

Karolik Member

"poor rotations and adjustments"

Translation: Why did he bench jeremy lin when he was playing well, or in the 4th quarter for Beverley?

"ran a very limited number of plays"

Translation: How come he only knows how to ISO Harden? How come he never gives Jeremy the ball down the stretch or never runs P&RS for Jeremy Lin?

Its so obvious what you're thinking without even the added Lin reference at the end.

19. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

Yes. McHale is a championship level coach.

20. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

I believe we will win a championship sometime over the next three seasons with McHale leading the way.