1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Matt Shaub Elite?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by babyface44, Sep 16, 2013.

1. Buck Turgidson

I hope you realize how awesomely hilariously awesome your post is.

2. conquistador#11

To me, Elite means being a catalyst in winning a superbowl. What's the point of being elite if your team can't even make the playoffs(#9) Or continues to one and out his way through the playoffs(#18) or drops and rolls when he plays a talented d-line(#12)?

Being elite means very little in the NFL of the 2000s when it comes to winning a superbowl.

Since you used one extreme with "he will never be this or that" logic, let me counter...

What if we win a superbowl? Noodle arms don't get stronger, but they don't weaken either, they just stick to the wall. So in total, schaub plays til his 35 years of age. That's 17,200 more yards, 92 tds and qbr of 93ish.

Total:40,000 yards
    218 tds with a comp % 63 in 10 years as a starter.

Those would be HOF numbers when accompanied with a TEAM superbowl win.

Elite is just a word talking heads created. And this whole notion that you can't win a superbowl without having the top four qbs is just ridiculous, when you can't even win one with those top 4 qbs to begin with.

3. meh

meh Contributing Member

Damn, this debate still exist?

I have pretty much stopped caring to rate Schaub in the regular season anymore. He looks the same to me as he does every year. There's nothing that I can add about Schaub so far this year that I haven't already said the past season.

4. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Elite, to me, means you carry your entire team on your back. Schaub doesn't do that, but he's not ASKED to do that.

Manning, Rogers, Brees, and Brady are the only 4 elite QBs in the league right now.

Obviously, you CAN win a Superbowl without an elite QB, as it happens almost every year.
    Does this philosophy apply to Peyton Manning too?

5. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I guess so.

6. meh

meh Contributing Member

The last time I rated Peyton was never. Why the hell do I care how elite he is?

Edit: Well, I do care. Just not sure what that has to do with Schaub. Yes, I think Peyton's underperformed in the playoffs relative to his regular season success. But that's like criticizing Dwight Howard's lack of playoff "success" when comparing him to, say, Monte Ellis.

7. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Alex Smith

3-0

8. Nimo

Nimo Member

Apparently everyone has their different definitions of an elite quaterback. Therefore, no one can ever tell me I can't say any QB is or is not elite. I make my definition. It's relative. I could say all the starting QBs in the NFL are elite. I could say all the QBs with more touchdowns than interceptions are elite. I could say only the superbowl QB is elite. Until we all agree on a definition of elite, this discussion is pointless.

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

See that is always the problem with these things, the definition of Elite is personal - I don't think Trent Dilfer is elite either and he won a super bowl.

To me Elite is the best of the best, the Payton Mannings, the Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees - those kinds of guys, Matt is good, but he is not nor will he ever be on their level.

Doesn't mean he can't win the big game with this team, but if you are counting on him to be "THE GUY" it is probably going to cause you to fall short.

I don't particularly like the way he plays, but I can respect him as a player.

I will say that I hope like hades that he wins a couple of Super Bowls though.

DD

10. jbasket

jbasket Member

That sounds like general inexperience from missing the offseason. I know the Texans were high on Quess, and Jones does have the center build. Is it too early to cast Brennan as a bust?

11. klutch sidy

klutch sidy Member

Soloman Wilcox called Matt Schaub elite in last weeks game. It was kinda weird hearing it from an unbiased analyst.

12. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I would rather have elite accuracy and decision making rather than elite arm strength and mobility.

13. DaDakota

How about that STINKING Elite vision on that pick 6......Schaub....UGH !!!!

DD

14. dragician

dragician Member

Schaub is Mr consistent indeed. in terms of interception.

15. thejav

thejav Member

Wow this guy sux..get keenum in there..

16. PDJACK7

PDJACK7 Member

He is accurate.....to the defenders also

17. Mr. Clutch

Just ready to bump this thread, weren't you

18. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

How many years are we going to give Schaub a pass?

19. DaDakota

Only because you have been so consistently apologetic and wrong about Matt, no other reason.

:)

DD

20. Mr. Clutch

You called him a coward last week before he led a comeback win.

Same old DD. You are the expert on being wrong, so I respect your opinion.