1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Before the NBA playoffs resume Friday night, we're talking Rockets, including individual team awards. We're live NOW!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

Is Matt Shaub Elite?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by babyface44, Sep 16, 2013.

1. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

If he gets protected well.

2. The Stig

The Stig Member

The real question is, "who gets more stick from the press and the fans, Schaub or Lin?"

Million dollar question right there.

3. the shark

the shark Member

Manning, Brady, Rodgers, and Brees are the only elite qbs in the NFL.

I saw a stat yesterday from the Texans game that Schaub is 10-23 against playoff teams.

4. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

Schaub doesn't need to be in Brady's, Brees, and Manning's class to win. The texans only need to go .500 against "great" teams and win 90% of the games against bad teams. that's what great teams do.

5. Major

Major Member

So are you suggesting he is elite?

6. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

no, i'm not. never put him in that category. but he is doing what anti-schaubers claim he can't do.

7. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Ironically, I don't think anyone here is. Which is what makes this argument so pointless.

8. oelman44

oelman44 Member

Maybe. I don't know. Elite is a pretty vague term. At times he plays like he is elite and at times he doesn't. I do know that he seems to play much better when we go pass first

9. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

Good god sir... Big Ben is garbage. I can name like 15 QBS I'd rather have than him.

He is the epitome of overrated. Worst. QB. Rating. In. Superbowl. History.

& since you'll probably ask.

(in no certain order after the top 4)

P Manning
    Brady
    Rodgers
    Brees
    Ryan
    Vick
    Luck
    RG3
    Rivers
    Kap
    Cam
    Wilson
    Schaub
    Eli
    Flacco

but to whoever it was that said there's only 4 elite QBS in the NFL being Peyton, Brady, Rodgers & Brees.... You're absolutely right.

10. Ericstocracy

Ericstocracy Member

In a word, No.

He isn't on Peyton, Brady, Brees, or Rodger's level.

Are the remaining guys much better then him? If so, then it isn't by much. I would put Eli ahead of him solely on his 2 championships and the same goes for Ben. Although Ben is declining rapidly with a very poor team around him.

Now you've got Matty Ice, Flacco, Romo, Smith, and maybe one of the young qbs but I'm not sold on them so early in their careers yet.

I'd put Schaub in the latter group. Top 10 for sure and as good and if not better than some of those guys.

The dude isn't a game manager as people portray him as. We do run a strict offensive scheme however, and if he were more mobile I would assume Kubiak would allow more flexibility. He can throw for tons of yards when you need him to, and is perfectly fine with allowing the run game dominate each week. It is because we don't need him him to through for over 4500 yards a season to beat teams is where people give him the game manager. When you have such a balanced offense than can cut the throats of opposing defenses with our run game, why put your QB in the path of rushing linemen and put his health in jeopardy? It just isn't intelligent. He can clearly take games over when needed, but he also needs to get better as well.

I don't think his improvement is physical as it is more mental. If he buckles down on his shaky mentality and shakes the fear of making mistakes when it comes to kill shots, we'll have a winner on our hands. I think he can do it and will do it, but it all depends on Kubiak and his ability to take risks.

We've seen some changes already this season, as well as some previous tendencies pop up. They'll learn as the season progresses and lets hope they make the steps forward to get to the promise land.

1 person likes this.
  11. HOUSTONJS

HOUSTONJS Member

I like him. I wouldn't put him as "Elite" but I would put him as HIGHLY serviceable where the things he can do, he does amazing but his weaknesses are glaring. It is noticeable this year (so far at least) that he took the time to learn how to extend plays even more so that he had previously done.

12. conquistador#11

Great post. repped for truth. qb is the least of our worries. we need to find a way to protec him better. I rewatched the game and was shocked to see that schaub was only sacked twice. It felt like 8 0r 9 times watching live. We can't keep him clean.

We also need to figure out how to adjust when any team goes into Pass,pass, pass, pass, pass, pass,pass, pass(repeat 40 more times) mode.

13. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

@ San Diego
    vs Tenn

Compared to:

@ Baltimore
    vs Seattle
    @ San Francisco

When looking at Schaub's track record against top notch competition, and evaluating his performance. I'd say no, they don't. We already knew that Schaub could do what he's done the last two games against the likes of SD and Tenn. (Though I do think SD will shock some people this year.) But, IMO vs Seattle and @ San Fran will be the his first true test of the season.

14. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

You know, most QB's don't do well against really good teams. That's why those teams are really good...

Not sure why Schaub is expected to go undefeated against them.

15. Panda23

Panda23 Member

I don't get that much of the NFL media exposure, where does Brees rank in terms of the general media opinion regarding him compared to brady/manning/etc ?

16. cdeezballz

cdeezballz Member

hahhahaha... good one... almost had me for a sec... post this again on April 1st.....

17. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

The last two games were not against playoff contenders.

18. solid

solid Contributing Member

Saw that too, and it is telling. Schaub is average, not horrible, not great. If he gets protection, has relatively open receivers, etc., he does well. Give him credit though, he led two gutsy comebacks in the last two games. He would not be the QB if Iwas the team owner (and Kubiak wouldn't be the coach), but the Texans are entertaining and that is better than living in Jacksonville, Florida.

19. Nimo

Nimo Member

The question should be "Is the Texans' offensive line elite?"

20. Nimo

Nimo Member

Both teams have beaten "playoff contenders" and yet lost to the Texans.