1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Mack Brown the most overrated coach in college football

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by TheRealist137, May 13, 2012.

1. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

I mean he is looked at as an icon at UT but he hasn't done anything. He needs to thank Vince Young for winning him a title and probably allowing him to keep his job at UT, because he really has been a failure outside of vince young.

He is nowhere near the class of Stoops, Meyer, Saban, or even Les Miles to be honest.

Basically, Vince Young is the only reason Mack Brown still has a job.

He is at Texas, has all the resources, the entire state of Texas behind him, and still doesn't do anything. For the amount of resources Texas has, his performances have been subpar.

2. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

With the amount of flak he's gotten recently, Mack definitely isn't overrated right now. Maybe a couple of years ago.

3. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Earlier this week, the Sporting News ranked the Big 12 coaches from top to bottom, but later on, it released its rankings of the nation's coaches from top to bottom.

How'd the Big 12 stack up?

Better than the rest of the competition.

Alabama's Nick Saban topped the list -- argue with that at your own risk and UMass' Charley Molnar brought up the bottom.

Where do the Big 12 boys rank?

No. 5: Bob Stoops, Oklahoma
    No. 7: Gary Patterson, TCU
    No. 10: Mike Gundy, Oklahoma State
    No. 11: Bill Snyder, Kansas State
    No. 16: Mack Brown, Texas
    No. 40: Charlie Weis, Kansas
    No. 41: Art Briles, Baylor
    No. 44: Dana Holgorsen, West Virginia
    No. 48: Paul Rhoads, Iowa State
    No. 50: Tommy Tuberville, Texas Tech

That's everybody well above the top half of the line.

From the Sporting News:
    The Big 12 coaches have by far the best average ranking: 27.2, which crushes the second-best SEC’s average ranking of 43.3. Next in line: the Pac-12 (43.8), ACC (45.6) and Big Ten (46.8).

In our top 25 are five coaches apiece from the SEC and Big 12, four apiece from the Big Ten and Pac-12, and two apiece from the ACC and Mountain West.

http://espn.go.com/blog/big12

4. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Not to anyone who remembers Mackovic. Good work keeping clean after the Probation Wars of the late '80s/early '90s (Tal Elliot, the "bookie," was our Special Teams coach at Baytown Lee); but god they hated that man. "3rd and Draw" McGraw.

5. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

The only complaints I've ever had about Mack was his handling of the Chris Simms/Major Applewhite situation, and his attachment to Greg Davis.

6. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

No.. he's definitely not overrated.

In 2010, he might have had another National Championship had an unfortunate situation with Colt McCoy not happen. He's definitely earned whatever reputation he's gotten and he's a solid Head football coach and recruiter for one of the top 3 premier football programs in the NCAA.

7. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

uT wasn't even impressive that year, they only got in the nat. championship game cause of the preseason ranking and staying undefeated. They did not impress in the victories and barely lost to nebraska in the big 12 championship.

If they won the title, it would have been only because they were good that one game of the year and the dumb bcs system.

8. dmenacela

dmenacela Contributing Member

I like you Realist but what's your point here? You hating on UT or something?

9. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

head coaches 1. set the tone 2. recruit 3. raise money 4. hire and fire

Mack does those things pretty well.

10. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

So, all the coach did was build a program that finished the season undefeated, after losing only 1 game the year before.

I R NOT IMPRESSED BY YOUR PREFECTION!

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

No doubt in my mind that UT wins that game if Colt stayed healthy.

Mack is a very good coach.

DD

12. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I'm pretty sure if they had won the title, finishing an undefeated season, it would mean they were good in every single game they played.

I'm pretty disappointed that Mack Brown doesn't s*** gold and distribute it to the entire population of Greater Austin. However, I do think he's done about as good of a job as one could ask with the football team.

13. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Their basketball coach is the overrated one, not Mack Brown. He does delegate a lot to the coordinators but there's nothing wrong with that.

#13 Ziggy, May 14, 2012
    Last edited: May 14, 2012
  14. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Colt McCoy is a terribly average QB who would have been mutilated by Saban's defense.

Oh wait. He was, on the first play.

When will people stop thinking these Big 12 QBs who face zero pass rush and minimal coverage are titans of the position?

1 person likes this.
  15. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Gotta agree there. I was a defender of Rick Barnes for a long time. Not any more. It's time for a change in the program.

16. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

While I think Mack is very good (probably a better recruiter and personnel guy than a coach), it's even more certain OU wins the RRS that year if Bradford stays healthy, thus knocking UT out of the title game altogether.

The 'what if' street runs both ways.

17. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Other than Greg Davis, I think Mack is a great coach. Not on Saban's level because he doesn't have the intensity Saban has, but I can't think of a much better coach for Texas.

18. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Not really true. Landry Jones put up big #'s that year in part-time duty.

Their issue that year wasn't QB play, it was OL play.

They were down to walk-ons and converted tight ends....which is why Bradford, who isn't very mobile, was injured in the first place. If they had a healthy OL maybe they could have done something. But they didn't.

19. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

The final score was 16-13, and Bradford (arguably the best player in college football at the time) left in the 1st quarter.

If you don't think that it's reasonable to assume OU wins that game with a healthy Bradford, then ok, but I think that's pretty silly.

Especially if you want to posit that UT beats Bama with a healthy McCoy.

If McCoy is worth 17 points against Bama, surely Bradford is worth 4 against UT.

1 person likes this.
  20. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

Not unreasonable to think that, but you're extrapolating an entire season based on the result of a mid-season game. Who knows what happens the rest of the year? We're talking about the very last game of the season. All else equal, UT wins.