1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Kevin Martin softer than Tmac?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by koopa, Feb 25, 2010.

1. koopa

koopa Member

A few games has passed and all of a sudden Darrel Morey isn't looking like the magician that turned water into wine.
    Darrel..ur really good at crunching numbers..but you forgot to crunch the intangibles of the beloved Landry and what it would do to the defensive and offensive end without a dominant 4. Surely we could of gotten Landry for someone proven..we knew martin would have potential but he came with a baggage (missed games every year due to iinjuries+questionable defensive skills) unlike Landry. Therefore, we all know we could have gotten someone better for Landry.

2. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

I think Adelman kinda pushed this through. If you listen to the podcast will Simmons he said "screw the numbers" and just go for Martin. they both have an input in personnel and Martin does not ft the mold Morey usually goes after.

Most of Morey's picks are large, aggressive, muscular defensive players.

3. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

You're acting like Martin is a scrub who has nothing more than potential.

Frankly, can you name a SG in the West besides well, Kobe, who is way better than Martin? Only ones I can think of whom are close are Butler and JR Smith, but if so, they aren't massively superior to Speed Racer.

< Good. >

1 person likes this.
  4. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

Really? So who would you have gotten? We tried to trade for Iggy first but Philly wasn't willing to let go of Iggy. We considered Caron Butler but he's already 30 so ...

Why are you comparing Kevin to TMac? We didn't trade to get another TMac but for a versatile scorer who can go one-on-one, shoot threes, get to the FT line efficiently. He's also a sweet guy who won't cause chemistry issues with his teammates. I'm also still waiting for consistent play from him; he's not there yet. But remember we were already losing our edge even when Landry was here. Since January, our game started to fade. Something needed to be added. Management chose this route.

We are missing three key pieces in our rotation--Landry, Lowry, and earlier Ariza. We are already thin and then we lose three key players. The team is starting over, so let's be patient and continue to support the team. I think we won't make the play-offs but I don't think it's too bad because these remaining games, we can begin to see what this team potentially can be.

5. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

LOL @SWEET GUY.^^^^^^^^^LOL

6. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

btw, didn't Lowry, a virtual unknown whom Morey surprised us with last year, also need time to show us his true worth?

7. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

well, compared to TMac ... wouldn't you agree?

8. jeffvangundy

jeffvangundy Member

Most of Morey's moves take time to get to full potential.

9. Bandwagoner

Brandon Roy
    Jason Richardson
    Jason Terry
    OJ Mayo
    Manu Ginobili

10. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

Oh yeah, Roy. I felt like I was forgetting someone.

The rest are iffy, from my perspective, especially Ginobilli (who is definitely declining and is even more injured than Kevin) and Mayo (given that he isn't even the main offensive weapon of the Grizzlies, I'm loath to say he's much better than Martin.)

< Good. >

11. Bandwagoner

Ginobili just put up 26 points on the zombie sonics to win and had a nice block on Durant. Most of the rest shoot much better than Martin.

12. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

Mate guys are not sweet. they're cool. but not sweet.

13. empiric

empiric Member

Guys, give him some time. He just came in. I bet he will do much better soon especially when paired with a true PG like Lowry, who will be able to expose Martin's strengths better.

14. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Op you're not seeing the bigger picture. Winning this year would be a bonus, but it just doesn't matter, because this team is being built for next year. Be patient, look at what is there not what isn't.

As far as the soft question, I think if you asked what was softer rolls or cornbread, it would have been more relevant :p

15. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

sorry, I'm a girl from the Philippines. maybe I don't know your idiom. but to me, he's sweet LOL

16. Bandwagoner

[​IMG]

17. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

yeah, but are they available for trades? i know manu is rumored to be, but we are looking for guys in their prime to play with Yao. DM is not through yet, he will target a PF this summer.

with the way teams are loading up--the Cavs, Mavs, etc--you really have to be deep per position to even challenge. an arms race before the hard cap or CBA renegotiation. teams will try to go over their cap just to win during the short window before the league enforces a lower cap

18. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

19. Bandwagoner

that was not the question. The question was where does he rate with SGs in the west.

i hope there is not a hard cap, that is a crutch for a crappy gm.

20. southernjustice

southernjustice Contributing Member

iggy will never average more than 18 ppg plus iggy's contract is to damn big