1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Josh Smith another Asik?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by hooroo, Mar 6, 2013.

1. hooroo

hooroo Member

The previous season, PnR defense was constantly brought up as the Rockets greatest need. Off the top of my head, a stat from Synergy had Asik ranked in the top percentile in that area. The Rockets own media guys mentioned it often enough.

This year, it's the Rockets' perimeter defense.

Josh Smith is ranked the best there by Bradford Doolittle of Basketball Prospectus.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/8894024/nba-ranking-league-top-10-perimeter-defenders
    While Kevin Pelton on his last season's "All-Defensive teams":
    http://www.basketballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=2233
    That there is McHale's most favored word in interviews. He constantly brings it to attention. There's always a player who failed to switch, or switched when it wasn't necessary, or weren't quick enough, etc... Food for thought.

1 person likes this.
  2. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

Hey now, Omer has a better freethrow % than Smith. :p

3. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I just get the feeling he will be the Rockets guy. Looks great defensively. Can play uptempo. Offense is meh.

4. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

That's an intriguing idea. Now, if we can just get Smith to sign for $8m/year, the comparison will be apt. That Asik is a good defender is great. But, the fact that we have a legit defender at center on a value contract is what really makes him awesome.

5. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I think so too. However, we still need someone that can get a good shot off whenever they want. Maybe D-mo can be that guy.

6. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

Trob just impressed Mchale for his quick feet on PNR defense. Hope he continues the development.

You don't see Presti constantly trying to add big money free agents during their young core developing years.

If we really only care about winning championship(instead of just deep playoff runs like Denver/Memphis did year after year) in a few years, it's DW/CP3/Love or nothing. Our prospects could be stars soon while keeping our flexibility.

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

In the sense that his defense is great and his offense is pretty terrible, yeah he has some in common with Asik. Of course the Rockets just picked up a guy with pretty much the exact same skill set, so I doubt they'd have any interest in adding the volume shooting defensive PF.

8. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

We'll make a somewhat lowball offer for him ($10-$12 million tops) and the market will dictate whether we get him or not. If someone decides to overpay, I'm sure he'll take the money. But with the stiffer luxury tax penalties, teams are going to be wary of paying a guy like Smith huge money.

I'm not sure that he makes us title contenders, but a change of scenery could do him some real good (think Zach Randolph). As long as his contract isn't complete dead weight and he is trade-able, I'm all for it.

9. hubeijames

hubeijames Member

I think we have a reasonable chance of getting him with a low ball offer. Not very many teams actually have cap space, and this guy has already been given plenty of chances to prove himself as The Franchise in Atlanta. The Suns are the only FO I think that would be dumb enough to overpay for him, and they don't have enough cap room nor much flexibility since nearly all of their players are newly signed this year.

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

My problem with Josh Smith is that offensively he'd be a downgrade from what we have now. If DMo had the ball at the end of the game a foot away from the basket in that LA vs Atlanta game, the Lakers are 3.5 games back now. Instead, Josh Smith had it, and was incapable of doing anything with it except picking up his 6th turnover to end the game. I'd rather start DMo and develop TRob than pick up Smith.

11. Mirri3000

Mirri3000 Member

Rather see D-Mo at 32 mpg than smith taking up his development for the next 4 years....

12. tigernet

tigernet Contributing Member

Josh Smith is the one who made ATL lose to Lakers couple of days ago.. He is an average PF while asking for star money.

13. RedDynasty

RedDynasty Member

This. Keep D-Mo and T-Rob and see what they can do for a couple of years. One has to pan out, right?

14. IronicMan

IronicMan Member

Unless he has a change of heart and start jacking up 3s, driving to the rim and not shooting long 2s, then it's not worth trying to get him.

15. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

save the cap room for someone who's actually worth it..

use a little of it this offseason for role players and depth

16. KillScarz

KillScarz Member

Josh Smith is not another Asik, to answer the question.

Like everyone before has said, Smith is asking for too much money. Omer is our taller version of Ben Wallace. His offense isnt there all the time but his heart is. If he can only develop put backs, and catch the ball off of PnR, with out getting stripped, he fits perfect with the Rockets.
    Smith wants points(his bad shot selection), Asik wants to win!