1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Joe Johnson the most overrated max player of all time?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by t_mac1, Apr 5, 2011.

1. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

this guys is in his prime, healthy, and being paid max money.

and he's putting up 19ppg, 4rpg, 5apg on 45%fg, 30% 3s, and a pathetic PER of 16.5.

he has a legit big man, legit PF, legit bench. and yet everybody knows this team will go nowhere for the foreseeable future.

i called him out 2 seasons ago when he choked like a ghost in the playoffs. and he's actually has gotten WORSE since then.

i feel sorry for atlanta's fans b/c they're stuck with him for a while.

2. plates300

plates300 Member

him and stoudemire were overpaid this summer and I don't care what anyone says. neither were worth a max contract.

3. WinorLoseMate

WinorLoseMate Member

Joe was never worth max money even in his prime which was supposedly a few years ago according to stats. I don't know why everyone is so high on him. I'd take Iggy or Granger over him as wing players.

4. NMS is the Best

Did Atlanta really have a choice though?

5. CCorn

CCorn Member

Horford is a great player but really needs to be playing PF from what I've seen, I was pretty into the Hawks last season but the size is just what kills them. If they got someone to clog the paint for quite a while to let Horford play the 4 and move Smith the the 3, I think he's capable and he'd be pretty good on D, Atlanta would be a contender. But until no.

As for Joe Johnson... He's not overrated he's a great player, but he doesn't deserve that contract except Atlanta needs him to sell tickets. He really should be making around 12 mil...

6. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

Joe Johnson:Atlanta::Luis Scola:Houston

The Hawks couldn't afford to let JJ go for nothing last summer because he was still their best player. Flip side was they had to sign him to a contract that's way more than his true value.

Same thing happened in Houston. We couldn't afford to let Luis go for nothing because of the uncertainty of Hill/Patterson as his replacements, but we had to give him a contract that he's unlikely to out-perform.

Both contracts make the players extremely difficult to trade because while both are good neither are likely to live up to contract value.

7. t_mac1

yea they do. they will have the same fate without joe johnson, early playoff exit.

with today's game, C and PF are pretty much interchangeable. horford has been pretty ******* great for the hawks. personally, joe johnson isn't even an all-star this year to me in the east.

luis scola is underpaid.

8. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Not even close; the most overpaid are the guys who post 0-0-0 with a 0 PER.

See Yao Ming, Brandon Roy, Michael Redd etc.

9. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

They had a choice. They could have let him walk, and they may end up wishing they had.

10. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Early playoffs exit is better for fans than nothing I suppose. Plus if they let him go last summer, they really didn't have anyone better to sign.

11. t_mac1

like i said, injuries are part of the game that you can't control. if every GM can predict injuries (but you're right, we all knew yao would go down), they would change their decision instantly.

i watch a few hawks games here and there and watching joe johnson play is sometimes disgusting.

12. _RTM_

_RTM_ Member

He's not healthy throughout this season

Two words: Rashard Lewis

13. t_mac1

i forgot about him, you're right. he's above joe for sure.

14. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

Terrible comparison. Five years from now the Hawks will be paying JJ almost 25 million. The rockets have Scola for four more years and it tops out at about 11 million. I'm OK with what Scola makes, and I think we could trade him if we needed to. Atlanta is stuck with JJ for a very long time.

15. Showtyme11

Showtyme11 Member

I beg to differ
    Signed,
    Rashard Lewis

16. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Woahhh, I didn't realize they paid him that much. 6 year 119 Million. That is insane. I had the impression he signed like a Rudy Gay scaled contract, but this is way way over paying. He will be like 34 and getting paid 25 million a year.

17. pradaxpimp

pradaxpimp Contributing Member

Rashard Lewis anybody?

18. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Who overrates Joe Johnson, everyone (except for Atlanat's FO) knew that contract was a disaster when he signed it. I think people have always had a pretty good sense of what his game consisted of.

Also, Andrei Kirilenko is a max player. And he WAS severely overrated by some fans when he signed that deal, probably because his steals and blocks made him such a good fantasy player.

19. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

Kenyon Martin getting the max was worse than JJ getting it.

20. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

JJ isn't overrated, he's just way overpaid. Most everyone thought the Hawks were completely nuts for giving him that nutty contract.

Regarding some other comments:

Scola is a bargain compared to JJ. Actually, there is no comparison at all.

The Hawks did not have to offer him that contract. IMO, this is a clear case where the team would have been better off letting a "star" player go for nothing in return.

Al Horford needs to be moved to PF, but I don't think Josh Smith can play SF full-time because he isn't skilled enough. His place in the NBA is as a small, very athletic PF. The Hawks need to decide which guy is more valuable. IMO, they should move Horford to PF and trade Smith for a starting C or PG.

They also need to hire a legit head coach.