1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is James Harden Running out of Gas?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mfastx, Apr 1, 2017.

1. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Before the season started and the Rockets announced that James Harden would be running point guard full time, I was a little concerned that it would tire him out over the course of the season. Of course, I quickly forgot about that as I saw how great of a move that turned out to be for our offense and how much the team was overachieving.

But now as we approach the playoffs, I'm noticing that James doesn't look as quick, explosive or decisive these last few games. Also, I noticed that he seems to be "resting" more on defense as well. Clearly his wrist injury is affecting his shot, but that shouldn't affect other parts of his game. His shot selection hasn't been good, and he seems to be settling for standstill jumpers far more lately.

I saw an interview where Steve Nash said that he was burned out by playoff time and that his fatigue affected his game. Harden has had such a big responsibility on offense all year long. With our secondary creator Eric Gordon's game dropping off significantly in 2017, the wild inconsistency of Lou Williams and Anderson's injury, I feel Harden's workload has increased, if anything, in recent weeks. Does this recent slump have anything to do with fatigue, or can we solely blame it on the wrist injury?

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

D'Antoni doesn't limit minutes or give guys games off. We knew this would be an issue. Great coaching job but this is one area he could improve.

Lawlruschang, TEXNIFICENT and saleem like this.
  3. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

No. He's simply getting himself into playoff shape.

4. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

He has a wrist injury, which causes stress releasing hormones throughout the body that fatigues you quicker.

Dude needs to rest a bit and get that wrist healed. Last thing we need is for him to keep aggravating it which will lead to improper healing and inevitably chronic arthritis and years of wrist issues.

I know he is chasing MVP, but I want to chase a dynasty of championships

5. Reeko

Reeko Member

Harden is currently playing the lowest amount of mpg in his 5 seasons as a Rocket. Nobody was saying he looked tired before he aggravated his wrist in the final minute against OKC. Matter of fact, his level of play was steadily increasing before that moment.

DudeWah, jevjnd, cheke64 and 4 others like this.
  6. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

Its his wrist.

So many times when a player gets injured in sports and plays poorly, a lot of people try to make it more complicated than it is.

His wrist is hurt, it is as simple as that

7. steveng125

steveng125 Member

We are 3rd seed no matter what. Morey needs to step in and make sure harden isn't played til the playoffs.

8. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

He should sit out the next 2 games.

9. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Trevor is running out of gas

saleem and Embrace the clutch like this.
  10. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

His MPG aren't bad, but he's by far doing more this season than he ever has. He did have a string of very impressive games recently. I'm just noting that his shot selection and decision making have been bad the last few games, which is uncharacteristic for him even if he's injured.

11. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Rockets haven't secured the third seed yet.

arubato and T for 3 like this.
  12. Juxtaposed Jolt

I think we need Harden to assume the role of facilitator more than he has all season. Instead of him looking to score, I would have him be a decoy most of the game. This would conserve his energy and it also wouldn't make the defense relax on him.

Unlike past years, this team doesn't need Harden to go out and get 30 every night, just for chance to win. Harden needs to sharpen up his decision making, and we'll be fine, heading into the playoffs.

13. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Last night he certainly looked like he was running on fumes - IMO he needs some extra rest before the playoffs.

14. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

Very true. It is not. Might play him a few tomorrow in Phoenix to try and build a 20 point lead then ride the reserves to the win. Same with Sacramento. If we beat Phoenix and Utah drops two then James is done for the regularly season if I were mike or Darrel.

15. CapelaOnlyFan

CapelaOnlyFan Member

Same lame excuse every year and if his wrist is really hurting that bad shame on him for worrying about an individual award more than team success

T for 3 likes this.
  16. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

this should be common knowledge at least for rockets fans. 3rd straight year he does everything on offense. even before the lou trade i believe they could've gave himi more rest and stll win games. 1.5 less mpg is nothing. might as well play him the extra 1.5 mpg. i dunno whats the big deal this team has with overplaying him and ariza, 3 straight years, when there's enough help off the bench. not everythign can be perfect. there were productive players of the bench that could'v ehelped in their own way but the team insists on running our guys into the ground

17. iNoseBleedRed

iNoseBleedRed Member

Free wilt (jer)

18. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

All I can say I am proud of James Edward Harden!

19. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

its because hes a hooper ..hell be resting when hes done

20. Yearoftheyao

Yearoftheyao Member

We definitely need to reduce his minutes once we are locked for the 3rd seed.