1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Jahlil Okafor the most skilful big man in the league?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by andersongo, Mar 2, 2016.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I agree,

Okafor is Beasley with two extra inches ... but knee problems.

I don't know why anyone thinks Pops would have interest in him, if he's never given Beasley a second look. These guys are ball-stopping, black-holes, with no defense or rebounding or passing. Beasley and Okafor are the anithesis of Popovich players. Hell, Pops has to go out of his way to try to make LMA fit in, and that's not been a huge success.

Raz likes this.
  2. Raz

Raz Member

The same young players play the very same systems and they score +5 more points when Okafor is on the bench. You're not helping your point on questioning the other player's qualities, because they're way better without him.

Rudy Gay played seven games for the Spurs now, without having to share minutes or the ball with Kawhi. So let's wait a bit to see, I think he'll always be one of the of the biggest chuckers in the game, even with the Spurs. Also just checked the numbers, Randolph was around the team average most of the time in Portland, Billups actually efficient in his two years in Minnesota. Also, none of them ever was the burden that Okafor is. There's a reason why he is out of the rotation.

Oh, I watched the Sixers quite a bit just to see Embiid, also know several die-hard Philly fans and each and everyone of them wants Okafor out for at least a year now.

Just like Hasheem Thabeet or Anthony Bennett. Even with big guys you're able to figure out pretty soon, whether they could be able to play one day or not. Even if they're not finished, they should at least be good at something. Okafor is not, just like Thabeet or Bennett.

What footwork? What interior game? Like I wrote, he has exactly one move and scouts figured that out pretty soon. It would be nice to have a Center with the qualities you're mentioning, it's just that Okafor doesn't have them - at least not to compete on NBA level. He could do well in China though.

The Sixers declined his option, which means nobody wanted to trade for him. Philly gave up Noel for basically nothing and no other team would even put that nothing on the table for Okafor since January at least. Teams probably wanted to get paid to take his contract, that's how bad he is.

#82 Raz, Nov 1, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2017
  3. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

4. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

TLDR

Daddy Long Legs likes this.
  5. roslolian

roslolian Member

KaT isn't just right there IMHO, he is better than Okafor because he can hit 3s.

This is the modern NBA, almost all contact is forbidden so post moves aren't that necessary anymore. It takes a lot of time for a post move guy to do his thing, first he needs to get in position then he needs to demand the ball and then he needs to get the ball and only then does he start to generate a point. Basically there are a lot of points in the post scoring value chain so while the % may be high, the pace or volume is low so you are sacrificing quantity for quality. On the other hand if you keep the post area free (ie have no post guy at all) then there are more points of attack because the opponent can't just plop people in the paint and expect them to be able to defend. The players can move the ball around on the perimeter and then attack the moment the defense slips up, the PNR or drive and dish can be done starting on any point on the field rather than on the low block all the time. It is more unpredictable and also more efficient because there are less points in the non-post scoring value chain. In the Harden PNR offense for example, Bev or whoever the pg is just hands the ball to Harden, Capela or Nene sets the pick and then Harden already starts the point generation.

I guess this is why post play has fallen out of style, it's just less efficient than the Face up game. With KaT's talent he could have been a low post beast if he really put his mind to it during his younger days, but I guess his coaches and trainers decided its better for him to learn other skills instead.

saleem likes this.
  6. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

He’s trash

BigMaloe likes this.
  7. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Fantasma Negro likes this.
  8. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

The Bulls are really trying to make somethings happen by getting that 8th spot in the East.

9. andersongo

andersongo Member

Okafor is still the most skillfull big man in the NBA. Being skillfull is however useless if you are out of shape all the time while already lacking explosive athletic abilities. Ayton with Okafor's skillset would have been such an anomaly that he could by himself endanger small ball as a valid strategy.

plutoblue11 likes this.
  10. Swiss Roll

Swiss Roll Member

what?

He's basically Ryan Anderson but with no 3 point shot to speak of.

pauebtg likes this.
  11. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Teams who might need to take a look at Okafor ...

Bulls - Desperately need talent throughout the roster.
    Hornets - See the Bulls.
    Lakers - No starting center, c'mon Javale McGee.

12. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Anyone out there is better than Ryan Anderson......so I highly doubt he is like Ryan Anderson.

Plus, if we pick him up, I would rather have him handle the dirty work like Capela than rely on him for the 3.....

roslolian and plutoblue11 like this.
  13. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Nets Broadcast I think it was, said they want Jahlil Okafor to lose weight. Thinking maybe is he loses weight, he adds speed.

plutoblue11 likes this.
  14. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

But he doesn't do "dirty work". He just wants post up attempts, and he's only so-so in that regard. He doesn't rebound or defend well.

He's a backup center at best, but you'd better get him for cheap because there are many games where you wouldn't be able to play him at all.

15. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

If he could just be an adequate to slightly below average defender and work on his passing ability-unselfishness, he'd be a borderline all-star with his offense.

ferrari77 likes this.
  16. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Run the four? That guy would be our back up center at most.

17. roslolian

roslolian Member

I wouldnt mind him for vet min but you cant count on Okafor for anything dirty. He'll just be there to score in the post and maybe grab some rebs.

Anyway everything depends on his work ethic since he is so short and only has average athleticism if he channels his inner rodman he would be a really good player, if he continues to act spoiled and be out of shape then he is garbage.

18. andersongo

andersongo Member

I am as high as anyone can be on Okafor's skills (I am the OP of this thread after all) but you will have a better chance to find an inkling of an "inner Rodman" in Kim Jong-un than in fat ass Jah.

roslolian likes this.
  19. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member