1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is it safe to say Jose Altuve will be the greatest Astro 2nd baseman of all time?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by RKREBORN, Oct 21, 2017.

1. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

It's more of seeing this a lot recently.

https://upi.com/6609461

2. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

That's telling the future a bit.

If Harden wins 3 rings and is finals MVP and has huge plays in each of them I guarantee that many will put Harden > Hakeem..

Duncan has won how many championships? Yet he's considered by many to be the best PF. Better than Garnett who certainly did as much if not more than Duncan on the court...Karl Malone too? But Duncan is considered the best because of his rings. I mean he was not as talented as Garnett, but Duncan seemed to make every big play when the Spurs needed it. Even sometimes key three pointers.

I agree that it is how it is done, if Altuve goes up there and pulls a Reddick and goes 1 for 30 or something at bat...then that would hurt his legacy, but if he plays how he's been playing, making key fielding plays and making game winning plays then his one championship will outweigh any statistic of future Astros unless they have a ring too.

RasaqBoi likes this.
  3. Buck Turgidson

"I Welcome Our New GARM Overlords"

4. Buck Turgidson

Room for improvement.

5. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Altuve clearly learned from someone.

[​IMG]

6. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

No one will ever pass him for HBP’s.

7. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Problem is Harden will not win 3 rings and get finals MVP. Because realistically the only shot we have of beating the warriors is to get a player like Lebron.

8. conquistador#11

18 hits and 6 home runs in this post season.
    he is 2 hits and 3 homers away from surpassing what I think is the best astros post season performance in Beltran.

3 more home runs and it will etch him in the post season baseball records FOOOOOOORRRREEEEVVVVEEEER.
    let's get them next game, tuve.

Houstunna likes this.
  9. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I'm not a big fan of never and evers.

Hey, the Dodgers were undefeated in that situation last night. 98-0...

Take that for data :p

10. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Altuve should be making $21.5 million annual salary when stacked up with comparable players. Yet, he will only be making an average salary of $3.125 million through 2019 on his four year deal. I can't wrap my head around it. Surely, he's going to get a raise here soon?

11. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

He'd need to play until he is 40 at this current rate (211 hits the past 4 years). That would be amazing, but I'd be really surprised if he did that lol

12. waytookrzy079

waytookrzy079 Member

Already has 11 postseason wins compared to 15 for Biggio.

13. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

It would be surprising, but possible. He has 141 more hits than Rose did at 27. A lot of people thought Ichiro would never get 3K because he came over here so late, but did. It would take great health, a long prime, and a lengthy career, but he has that outside chance.

14. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I didn't say he would, I said it's not out of the question. On paper 4000 hits seems impossible, its 200 hits for 20 damn seasons, but 2 people have done it

Virtually all of the hit Kings were still everyday players up to age 40, and usually a few years beyond. If Altuve turns 40 and is still a competent hitter, somebody will give him a chance to chase if he's close. It's certainly unlikely, but he checks all the boxes for a candidate (stays healthy, starts at a young age, seems like a guy that will need to be dragged off the field)

15. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

16. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Assuming he stays on his career path for the next 8-10 years with similar stats, he could pass Morgan. Due to what Robinson faced, gonna be hard to ever pass him. Statistically, he would pass up most of the others in most if not all categories. Winning a World Series would enhance his chances.

17. vonbock

vonbock Member

NO, I still think Bill Doran is the best 2nd baseman of all time for the Astros.

chievous minniefield likes this.
  18. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Dont get me wrong, I think the Rockets have a shot to win 1, but getting 3 while this Warriors team exists is a really really long shot.

19. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Altuve >>> Biggio

Houstunna likes this.
  20. jsingles

jsingles Member

At this point, and I can only assume the accolades will continue for several more prime seasons, Altuve is about the best Astros player of all time. He's a god with the bat.