1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is it fair to judge Morey on wether he hits the "Home Run" or not?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jae713, Jun 28, 2012.

Tags:
  1. jae713

jae713 Member

I think we can unanimously agree that Morey has done a good, not great, job as GM. Most of his moves have made the franchise better either by getting better players or putting us in a better financial situation. Is it fair that alot of us here judge him solely on the fact that he has not delivered a superstar?

2. Ashes

Ashes Member

I think he's done a solid, not good, job as a GM.

3. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Unfair... morey is a beast...

Its not like hes had a good hand...

Hes made the best of the situation weve been in and i honestly believe no other GM could have done it better...

4. WNBA

WNBA Member

It is only fair to judge him using the results.

5. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

I think the media blows a ton of things completely out of proportion, especially this time of year, and it's stupid to judge Morey based on what you hear from those guys.

At this point right now, Morey had turned the #14 pick, Chase Budinger, and Samuel Dalembert into the #12 and #18 picks, and Shaun Livingston, Jon Brockman, and Jon Leuer.

That's not the greatest start to an offseason, but it's a pretty damn good one. And the people that expect more from him just have completely ridiculous expectations that nobody can meet.

6. liveguy

liveguy Member

Huh?

You mean good, not great?

Where i'm from solid = good

7. TXRoxBBall

TXRoxBBall Member

Yes its fair, his job is to get this team to the ring and he hasn't hasn't done that. Bringing in a superstar through the draft or by trade or free agency is his job. He hasn't done any.

8. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

The thing is, he can't do a trade without a someone else accepting the trade.
    It's not just up to him. And all GM's are competing to not look like that got the lesser end of the deal. To get a deal done it will probably appear at best to be slightly in the other teams favor (I think, like the Dalembert deal)

9. HPD

HPD Member

No...next question

10. Canadiandude

Canadiandude Member

I'll settle for triples (given our draft positions), which, by the way, are rarer than home runs.

11. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

He doesn't have to land the team a superstar but he does need to get the team into better position in the draft and ship out the disgruntled vets (Lowry, Martin) and get something of value in return.

If he goes the route of trading valuable assets for a second tier All Star (Gasol, Gay) then he has absolutely failed in my eyes.

12. zcity

zcity Contributing Member

Dude is my hero - As a fan I'll feel good either way knowing he has given EVERYTHING he has to get us a winner.

1 person likes this.
  13. conquistador#11

I think he's one of the best Gms in the league not named Dwyanna wade. It's not his fault that today's superstar have a Wussified mentality. But that's besides the point, He is the same guy that got you artest for a nickel bag and a late first rounder. To me,the only thing he has failed at has been his openess and neglecting the center position.

It's Maury's time to shine.

14. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

I thinks he's done a good job considering where he started. AB for nothing, AB for Dragic and Monty, makes good solid moves. But, he no longer has a built in excuse about bad contracts he inherited, so it really sink or swim this year.(My bet is swim.)

15. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

I love Morey. And to be honest, yes. It's what we've been working towards all these years.

It really depends on what deal exactly you refer to being "home run" quality. Cause there are many options.

16. theogcasey

theogcasey Contributing Member

Solid is an acceptable job... Good is a step above acceptable. I agree with solid and if he doesn't bring us a superstar or remarkable rookie in the next season it may be time to let him go. His job to make us better, not maintain our mediocrity.

17. jank1434

jank1434 Contributing Member

I feel that it is definitely fair. Sure, him and Les have to work together and set guidelines, but mediocrity does not make you a great GM. Almost completing a blockbuster trade does not make you a great GM. Drafting lottery picks who get limited minutes do not make you a great GM. Now, drafting a starter in the 2nd round, can make you a great GM. Overall, Morey should be judged on his lack of home runs.

18. Kate81

Kate81 Member

Whoever thinks Morey isn't a beast, you guys are crazy.

More than half the league has ****ty GMs, we should be so lucky to have Morey.

Most of the suppose "good" GMs in the league have had a lot of luck on their side.

19. Downtownbrown

Downtownbrown Member

I understand Morey has not been giving a great hand to start with but eventually you have to show progress. This team has failed to do that in the last 3 years. He needs to go deep here soon. He has a good batting average but we need some runs to cross the plate for once. You don't win with hits but with runs!

20. Ashes

Ashes Member

Weird. Never heard of anyone equating solid to good. Where are you from?