1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 3 between Luka and the Mavs and Shai and the Thunder. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Is Houston more of an Astros or Rockets town?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by astros123, Jul 4, 2019.

1. astros123

astros123 Member

Had a debate with a friend at bbq today and wanted to get the boards opinion. Im of the sound opinion that Houston definitively gets behind the Astros more then the Rockets. The Astros are a much better ran organization compared to the Texans and Rockets anyways so it makes sense.

Rockets o Astros?

2. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Astros. Houston isn’t a basketball city which is evident by the late-arriving crowds. Plus, the Astros won much more recently.

gatsby likes this.
  3. astros123

astros123 Member

The rockets w/ Hakeem were the kings of the town even before they won in 1994.

Killatron 2000 and tmoney1101 like this.
  4. J.R.

J.R. Member

Texans
    Astros
    Rockets

5. Houstunna

Supporting Member

Now sure how much of that is true, but Houston almost lost the Rockets no too long after the championships.

The Oilers actually did leave, true, but that was much more an ownership issue — Bud Adams.

6. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

Casual fans like the Astros more for sure because they’ve won the World Series recently and casual fans are by definition front runners. Also girls like baseball a lot more.

I’ve been a basketball fan my whole life. I played everyday and also in school when I was a kid. Basketball was far and away my favorite sport as a kid although baseball and football have closed the gap over the years.

Rockets will always be my most loved franchise I don’t care how many championships the Astros and Texans win although I love them too.

Nook, mikol13, Sajan and 1 other person like this.
  7. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

It’s probably about the same, it’s just that the Astros have a more recent championship. The Astros may have an edge because it’s cheaper to get a family out to a random game.

They are both a distant second behind the Texans in fandom but light years ahead in the front office. I’d put Morey and Lunhow both near the top of their respective sports.

Nook and gatsby like this.
  8. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Rockets are my team even if they've lost. I pay attention to winners so I know what's going on with the Astros the first time since the killer B's.

But let's be real. No one gave a **** about the disastros five years ago, save a quarter of the people on this board.

Sunny fans

Jontro likes this.
  9. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Neither team was well supported...at all in the 90's, but things changed when the Astros moved into MMP. When the Astros are good, playoff games are packed and hyped. When they suck it's kinda meh.

When the Rockets are good, or when they suck, fans are kinda meh. The Rockets haven't sucked much, they've been very consistently good, maybe it's taken for granted.

It's pretty clear, for whatever reason, the Astros have more widespread casual support than the Rockets. They are both miles behind the Texans, but as someone who has loyally followed both teams for 25 years, it's the Astros.

#9 sealclubber1016, Jul 4, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2019
    dmoneybangbang and YOLO like this.
  10. theimpossibles1

Poll thread needs poll.

FAIL.

PS: astros and its not even close.

iconoclastic likes this.
  11. YOLO

YOLO Member

as of now the Astros since winning the WS. the recent years before they won, when they were the worst team in the league, nobody cared about the astros. Now being as good as they are and will be for years to come, the astros are more of the popular follow as far as the city.

minute maid was empty in those recent seasons before the WS. hardly anyone cared for them

12. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Went to a random Astros day game a few weeks back and was very surprised at the turnout and how the crowd was actually following the game. Rockets games seem to be more about getting together and chatting than actually watching the game - plus, of course, the worse attendance.

13. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

14. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

Totally agree most people didnt even know who Jose Altuve was when i would talk about him.

15. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

I think what's wild on Houston is Tilman is basically guaranteed full attendance even though the corporate seats never get filled. Regardless though I definitely agree with you

16. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Before or after the championship? It's interesting to see the casual fans jump on after. And sadly you're right about the Texans. Haha, haven't done a lot but yay football!!! Don't get me wrong I'll watch it, but like the Rockets/Astros way more, especially since the Oilers left - it took me a few seasons...

17. Houstunna

Supporting Member

It's easy to tell who's more a basketball fan than baseball. Some fans are confusing their own interest with the majority's interest.

Rockets haven't been top half in NBA attendance since '89-'90 (save two recent seasons where they barely avoided the bottom half -- 14th/15th of 30)... that's almost 30 years. This includes championship seasons, Barkley seasons, and #1 seed seasons. In fact, they've mostly been bottom 3rd in league. Sometimes they've been dead last during playoff seasons. Rockets needed gimmicky $1 beers during playoff games for people to care about arriving before the 2nd quarter began.

I guess people hardly cared about the Astros while they were losing 100 games for consecutive seasons, but look what it took -- multiple 100-loss seasons !! The Rockets might leave Houston if they suffered that level of losing.

Basketball is clearly behind baseball in Houston and has been for the longest time. The discrepancy is even worse if you factor team success.

18. Jontro

Jontro Member

i expect an increase in fandom after tad brown's recent 4th of july fireworks

daywalker02 and J.R. like this.
  19. Reeko

Reeko Member

fck boring ass baseball

it’s a shame that Houston isn’t a basketball city...if the Rockets ever left Houston, I’d be devastated...if the Astros left Houston, I’d just go about my day like nothing even happened

All these Astros bandwagoners get on my damn nerves. U cared nothing about the team for the longest time, but the minute they make the World Series I see u decked from head to toe in Astros gear. Keep that same energy when they go back to being trash.

when the Astros are bad, nobody cares about them...I unfortunately went to a game a couple of years ago, and the entire place was looking like the lower bowl @ TC when it’s time for the opening tip, but they are bigger than the Rockets because when they’re elite/contenders, they get a lot of support...the Rockets don’t

MMP was actually being lauded for it’s noise level as the Astros made their run to the WS...TC still sounds like the local library when the Rockets are a 65 win team

#19 Reeko, Jul 4, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2019
  20. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Astros.

It's funny how much it varies between different ethnicities for basketball and baseball fandom. For black people it's easily Rockets, Hispanics probably slightly lean Astros, and then easily Astros for white people.

Texans? Raging multicultural boner of fandom by everyone.

duwende, Sajan and Torn n Frayed like this.