1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Is Hartenstein ready for backing up Clint?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by deb4rockets, Apr 22, 2019.

1. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

OK all you arm chair experts, help me see the light. How is a 7 foot Hartenstein, who just won the MVP in the G League Finals not good enough to get more minutes behind Clint? How is he not a better choice to guard that rim vs small ball guys who get half as many rebounds?

I understand he came from the G League, but he did earn the Finals MVP this year. I mean he averaged 24 points and 15.2 rebounds in the Finals and was 15 of 32 from behind the arc. Shooting .469 from behind the arc during playoffs is what I call playing great under pressure. How can he not help us when we face GSW? He has to have more energy than Bogut, and can be more of a rim protector than House or Faried. I just don't get it. I just think his ability to not only rebound, but also score from inside and outside the arc makes him worth a shot.

I appreciate any thoughts on the matter.

2. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

He is , but next season

You don't throw someone who hasn't
    Played minutes with the big club all year right into the playoff fire .

Farried and nene are fine choices and as much as I like hartenstein he shouldn't get PT over those 2 unless they prove they are useless (which they are not )

dcfma, Bo6, bcast89 and 9 others like this.
  3. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Maybe. Maybe not.

There probably is a bit of difference between being great against d league players, and some of the absolutely best players of all time in the history of basketball though.

hakeem94 and deb4rockets like this.
  4. foggy94

foggy94 Member

Like most young players, he's a foul machine. He average over 9 fouls(!!) per36.

We aren't about to throw in a guy who has played a total of 221 minutes this season in a playoff round against the Warriors. He needed to prove more in the regular season to be in that position. He showed his potential early on, he just couldn't stay on the floor and made too many mistakes, namely the fouls. If he had shown more, he would have had the opportunity when Capela went down and we had to bring in Faried. He couldn't make that backup position he's own, and that's fine. The dude is 20 and raw, but I could totally see him being a viable backup in the next season or too.

5. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Clint was kicking ass in the G-League in his rookie season, but he was still extremely raw and unprepared for the pros when he was getting minutes on the Rockets. It didn't really click for him til late in the season and even then, he was a horrendous foul shooter and had a lot of areas where he needed to improve.

Hartenstein needs til at least next season and maybe the year after before he's really prepared to meaningful minutes.

deb4rockets likes this.
  6. 1Deep

1Deep Member

He is no where near ready for the intensity of a series with Golden State.

The focus on details required in that series is far and beyond anything he's experienced including the G- League Finals. :D

7. MarioKissoDeath

Supporting Member

Obviously he is good and hustles, but the competition level isn't even close. It is kind of like Jimmer Fredette being the MVP of the Chinese league, but is a scrub bench player in the NBA. I bet Hartenstein has a good season as a backup next season though.

deb4rockets likes this.
  8. Voltik

Voltik Member

The team needs to be clicking on every minute detail, espically on the defensive end, to make it competitive. Last year’s series was very intense and I can’t remember the last time I’ve seen a game between two teams where you have to be that locked in on the court. I don’t think most players in the NBA have even experienced that, much less than a G-leaguer.

In order for Hart to get any meaningful minutes would require multiple injuries to Capela and Faried. If any one goes down, we’ll likely go small ball or play NeNe more minutes.

9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Agreed. I expect a BIG impact from him Next Season

Rocket River

10. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

I think he will play against GSW.

When we are up 20 with 90 seconds to play.

Will and snowconeman22 like this.
  11. waytookrzy079

waytookrzy079 Member

Many reasons as others have already mentioned, but other factor is chemistry.

He hasn't gotten a lot (if any) of playing time, especially late in the season. This is the time when playoff rotations are pretty much set. Everyone knows what to do, where to be, where their teammates are going to be, where the help defense is going to come from, etc.

snowconeman22 and deb4rockets like this.
  12. Reeko

Reeko Member

no way in hell he plays against GS...u can’t do nothing all season, ball out in the G-League, and then get rotation minutes in a playoff series against GS

13. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

14. hajkov

hajkov Consummate Member

Next season.
    For now he is just our 4th center.

15. YOLO

YOLO Member

NOPE. not even a discussion

16. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I can't wait until he is ready. When he is, can you imagine us having a 7 foot player who can hit shots deep? We have never had a player that size who can also make shots from behind the arc. He and Clint will make a nice rebounding and shot blocking duo for sure. Nene doesn't rebound well.

dcfma and snowconeman22 like this.
  17. macan

macan Member

he's a rookie, he might under perform in such a stressful environment. that's why MDA would trust vet like farweed more in playoffs. experience does matter.

topfive and deb4rockets like this.
  18. PeppermintCandy

Just for context, here are the other players to get G League finals MVP in the past fiver years: Elliot Williams, Jarnell Stokes, Paskall Siakam, and Nick Johnson.

I always thought Hartelstein's ceiling was to end up a solid third string big in three years' time. If he makes it that far in the NBA, I'd be pretty impressed. And i mean that sincerely.

deb4rockets likes this.
  19. eman

eman Contributing Member

I hope he retires a Rocket.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  20. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

He's the future once he learns the nuances of playing defense in the NBA. Right now he looks out of control and the refs see it too. Gotta learn he can play hard and tough defense so long as it looks like he's in control of his body and his position.

snowconeman22 and deb4rockets like this.