1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

"Is Harden Really a #1 Option?" Insider article

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Beard, Nov 6, 2012.

1. Beard

Beard Member

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/8599109/nba-james-harden-no-1-option

6 people like this.
  2. Beard

Beard Member

3. OremLK

OremLK Member

What a beast. It makes 30+ ppg this season look plausible.

4. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I knew the info the writer used from seeing it posted here, but I enjoyed the read. Thanks, OP!

5. AdrenaLINe

AdrenaLINe Rookie

well he is the number 1 option on this team like it or not

6. MKL

MKL Member

Max money = Max shots.

7. Beard

Beard Member

yea most of these stats have been pretty well known at this point, but the part where he went and rated every unit he played against was really interesting. That was one of the main knocks on those crazy stats; that he was doing it against other teams benches. Now we know this isnt a great arguement. Also defense tends to be underrated in those NBA ranks, and bench players arent necessarily worst defenders than their starting counterparts

8. shaggylambda

shaggylambda Member

I wonder if some of these stats are what Morey looks at? His stats team probably digs even deeper then this.

9. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

Not joking here. Harden is 23 yrs old and from what I just read he scored a lot very efficiently. Now the best two sgs of all time our mj 1 and Kobe 2. With that said it looks possible that at 23 harden may be able to keep up his 30+ ppg for this season.

Now I ask this do you guys think that harden can go down as the best scoring 2 guard off all time? He's only 23, history says he's atleast 3 to 4 yrs away from his prime. What do my fellow ClutchFans think?

Maybe I'm just really excited about the trade but from the 3 games I have watched so far, I feel like morey just landed us the 2nd best player in the nba to Lebron Ofcourse. I know it's a small sample size but if he can sustain 30 6 and 6 and take us to the playoffs. I don't see it being that far fetched that people start talking about him as the 2nd best player in the nba. Harden is a monster and the rockets will get atleast 1 chip ovr the course of the harden era I feel it's coming again its been almost 20 yrs.

10. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

ESPN is starting to sound relevant once more....it's
    been a long time coming!.........:
    cool:

11. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

It looks like Morey knew more than everyone else once again. IMWT

12. MKL

MKL Member

I don't know why this is even news. The other forums (RGM) have been talking up Harden all last year comparing him with Kobe. I'm sure Inside the NBA with TNT did a segment on this too.

Morey was just lucky he had assets in failure to get Dwight Howard. So, Morey won by default and being cheap and Presti trying to act like a boss.

13. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

people that watch other teams objectively knew this already...Harden balanced the backcourt...he was OKC's "Dark Knight" and did whatever they needed him to do...And what made OKC so dangerous was that they had 3 players that could do the same thing on any given night...

Kevin Durant is alpha 1, but Westbrook also thinks he is alpha 1...
    Harden was willing to take a back seat to both of that...setting both players in positions knowing that they would succeed.

But during the times when Westbrook or Durant was on the bench or not playing...Harden was unstoppable...too strong for a guard...to quick for a forward...and excellent handles...

Now when asking if Harden is really a #1 option...you have to look at the team...Harden is the team's best player...and therefore by default the #1 option...

14. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

Luck.....is being prepared when opportunity presents itself
    hence yea he was extremely lucky

15. BraveFox

BraveFox Member

Why not go for No1? now and of all times as well?!...statistics-wise he is definitely able to do that, but I think that besides statistics he has a certain special basketball charm and magic...certain charisma and something that cant even be named...I think we are in for big big surprises especially because he is paired with another magical player LIN....and the show has just started...imagine when they create better chemistry and gather a season or 2 together...

[​IMG]

"You read that correctly; when defenses keyed in on Harden as the No. 1 option, Harden responded by scoring like Michael Jordan, and he shot 53 percent from the floor in these situations. Plus, it gets better: Harden dished out 6.2 assists per 36 minutes, up from his normal rate of 4.3 assists. And remember, he was racking up all those assists by feeding the likes of Royal Ivey, Nick Collison and Nazr Mohammed."

16. DaGreatest

DaGreatest Member

already knew this was the biggest move of the year before he played a second.. the guy scores in his sleep, this is old news, Hou got a steal and will enjoy it for 6 years :) at least

17. MKL

MKL Member

I agree with you on that bro, always better to be lucky than good. And power to ya if you make your own luck.

18. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

There is no better, younger shooting guard out there. Kobe and Wade are past their primes. Eric Gordon can't stay on the court. It's Harden.

Harden represents the perfect confluence of talent and the potential for even greater talent for the Rockets.

So pleased he's a Rocket. So pleased.

19. BraveFox

BraveFox Member

besides his effectiveness, there is some special attractiveness to the way he plays ...it's joy to watch him....the way he moves, the way he dribbles the ball and similar....and what is most fascinating I hardly remember a player getting so effortlessly to the rim...

20. stupidog

stupidog Member

This makes me even happier that we didn't get Dwight. He's 3 years older (26) and we are not ready to contend with the pieces we have.

"The Beard" is younger (23) and motivated. By the time he hits 26 we should be much closer to being a contender. Until then, I'm gonna love seeing the Rockets and maybe we'll see the playoffs back in Houston again!