1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Harden a top 5 player in the league?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by swyyyguy, Jul 26, 2016.

?

Is Harden a top 5 player in the league?

1. Yes

75.0%
  2. No

25.0%
  1. Jmcballer88

Jmcballer88 Contributing Member

Stop being biased fellas. Hes not top 5. He is top 10 though. His defense and effort is just not up to par with the top 5 guys.

1 person likes this.
  2. Exiled

Exiled Member

Playing with K.Irving ,Harden has a legitimate chance to win a ring.he can be a 28/6/5 &decent turnovers and solid D

3. c1utchfan925

c1utchfan925 Contributing Member

Even without playing a lick of defense Harden is still a top 8 player. Just to include some homerism into the equation I would definitely say he's a top 5 player because as he's top 3 in the ability to score and he's probably one of the better scorers (outside of Curry) that can include the players around him too.

Curry and Durant won't make as good of a case for MVP this year respectively because they are on the same team now. If Harden can help his team get close to a top 3-4 team record I can definitely see Harden being right up there with whoever else is an MVP candidate, but that means Harden will need to play marginal defense too..

4. hitman1900

hitman1900 Member

Lebron for sure carried his team in his first stint in Cleveland but you discredit what Harden's teammates did in the semifinals against the Clippers. Harden didn't carry anything that series.

5. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I think Harden is after Leonard for number 6th but they are easily interchangable, same with Davis, then you have Paul, George and Griffin who could easily step up.

Here's my tiers.

Tier 1: LBJ / Curry / Durant / Westbrook

Tier 2: Leonard / Harden / Davis

Tier 3: Paul / George / Griffin / Thompson / Green / Lillard / Wall / Cousins

Right now Harden is top 5-7 IMO.

KAT can make a big jump this year too.

6. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

2 minutes of Josh Smith hitting 3s doesnt win a 7 game series.

Harden had 2 30+ pt games that were Ws, and a Triple Double separate from those two 30+ pt games that was another W.

7. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

LeBron
    Curry
    Durant
    Harden
    Kawhi

WB is electrifying so he gets over hyped. He's a top top player but he doesn't help teammates play better. He's on the outside looking in.

Just like Davis who is an amazing talent, and stuck on a crappy team. He just doesn't carry a team they way the alpha omega cream of the crop does.

IMO there is only 4 guys LeBron/Durant/curry/harden who would make the playoffs if they had Phillies roster. And TBH I don't think Steph could do it.

Fans get too caught up in media hype and fantube videos of hardens defense and forget what they actually witness while watching James play.

8. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

According to Rockets fans he is but according to all the haters, he's not even top 10.

9. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Agree with this. Obviously top 5 after the '15 season, but a summer of dicking around and a terrible start, wildly underachieving team where he is the best player and inconsistent defensive effort knocked him down a couple spots IMO. Nothing he can't fix with a better mindset coming into next season, I expect him to be top 5 again.

10. marky :)

marky :) Member

Did you even watch that series? Is this not carrying the team?

25 PPG
    5.6 RPG
    8.1 APG
    1.4 STL
    36.7 Minutes Per Game

11. Air Canada

Air Canada Member

Wrong

12. Air Canada

Air Canada Member

exactly

13. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

Top 4 is:

Lebron
    Curry
    KD
    Kawhi

Next is CP3, Westbrook/Harden

14. Air Canada

Air Canada Member

Here's a simple process of determination.

List 5 guys ELITE @ more aspects of basketball than James Harden in the entire NBA.

You can't.

Harden
    Elite Scorer
    Elite Ball handler
    Elite Playmaker
    Elite Driver
    Elite Finisher
    Elite Foul Drawer
    Elite FT shooter

Casuals need to stop putting Kawhi or Russ over Harden.

Defensive worth is not comparable or equal to offensive worth when it comes to perimeter players.

And Russ is flat out not as good offensively and also sub-par on D.

15. Air Canada

Air Canada Member

Kawhi is not better than Harden.

16. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I absolutely love how Westrbrook is selfish and doesn't help his team when he averages MORE assists ON LESS turnovers compared to Harden. How does that work out?

And yes, he accomplished this feet even the season before when Durant was gone for most of the season just in case someone uses the "He has Kevin Durant as a teammate" as an excuse.

Only a homer would believe that Harden is 'less seflish' than Westrbrook.

17. dream2franchise

People need to stop equating offense with getting buckets. Hardens offensive game is incredibly elite and only matched by a few players in the NBA.

Westbrook is not the offensive player Harden is. Nowhere close. He's incredibly explosive and quick, but his ball handling, decision making, shooting, and ability to finish through traffic aren't on Hardens level. I also anticipate an improvement off the ball this season from the Beard. Westbrook's touch around the rim is wildly inconsistent. I wonder what we would have in him if he were sadly robbed of his athleticism the way Rose has been, but I don't want to see this happen.

Both have great court vision, both have wavering attention spans defensively but have tools to make up for this on occasion. Westbrook his speed and athleticism, Harden his strength allowing to mix it with up with bigger players, but ultimately Westbrook is someone you're happy to give room to to shoot. The same can't be said with Harden.

As for Kawhi, his defensive ability doesn't need discussing. He's a beast. Again though, offensively can he be relied upon to consistently score and create for his teammates possession after possession after possession? At least not yet. He's a great spot up shooter and his off-arm allows him to create room and get looks. Still I feel like given a different team make-up and offense, he wouldn't be a very efficient offensive player. I could be wrong.

It's easy to say Harden is an offense only player, but take a second to think about just how skilled he is offensively, and how he possesses skills matched perhaps only by Lebron, Curry and KD on that side of the ball.

Factor in teammates, coaching, the 'system'. Harden up there.

18. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

Only a Russ homer would talk about selfishness and ignore Russ's 30 shots a game. He isn't called Westbrick for no reason. He didn't just accidentally run Durant off with his frustrating style of play teammate-wise.

14-15 when Russ was tasked with putting his team on his shoulders and he was beasting assists, ALL ASSISTS MUST BE ME, the Thunder were 25th in assists. Abysmal. Sometimes getting 6.5 assists and 10 hockey assists makes a better teammate, leader,playmaker and leads to more winning.

#78 cdrive, Jul 26, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2016
  19. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

People who think Westbrook is better than Harden are IMO blinded by his flash, hyper athleticism, and (the most justifiable point) effort. The fact is, Westbrook is visually a lot more "exciting" than Harden's old man game of wiles. This is very important in the eyes of casuals, who are ignorant towards the more nuance aspects of basketball. People want to talk about about TO's all the time, not realizing Westbrook is actually more turnover prone when discussing advanced stats. You can argue he has a better turnover ratio in a vacuum, due to a higher assist count, but that's with a much better roster. eFG... not even a contest. That said, Westbrook is a superior defender due to his superior athletic abilities and motor, but guess what guys, those things diminish very quickly with age. When he loses a step to his bounce and inches off his jump, the real question becomes whether or not he has the BBIQ to compensate. We all know Harden's game will continue to be good even as he becomes slower as he gets older due to HOW he plays his game. Defense is another matter though. I personally think its all about effort for Harden since we have all seen him capable of making amazing clutch defensive plays, whether it is a steal here or block there or just pure lockdown D when the clock is winding down.

20. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

I think I would. Westbrook plays hard consistently. Harden does not. Westbrook also seems much better at getting his teammates involved.