1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Francis a good DEFENSIVE point guard?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BoyhoodDream, Mar 18, 2000.

1. BoyhoodDream

BoyhoodDream Member

I remember when we used to have Matt Maloney as our starting PG, we used to raise hell about getting burned by other point guards. I remember the opposing guard would have a career night against our PG whether it be Maloney or Price. When we traded for Francis, I was estatic because I thought he would bring his defensive tenacity to the court and give the other PG's trouble. However, though we are improved over last year, I am unhappy with Francis's defensive play.

Sure he's had some great defensive games where he has held the likes of Jason Kidd's to near season lows. But I remember Terrel Brandon lit his ass up one game and I was reminded of a few years back. I hven't watched many Rocket's games, so I am asking those of you who watch... Is Francis a good DEFENSIVE point guard?

------------------

2. Houston Rocks

Houston Rocks Member

Actually, no. The only one of the Rockets that can be labeled as a GOOD defender would be Shandon Anderson. Cato is good too , but not 100% like SA is. Stevie has his moments, and gets his share of steals, but his game is definitely more on the offensive side.
    ROCKs

------------------

3. alaskansnowman

I think Francis will improve his defense as the years go on. After all, he is going against really good point guards, the likes of which he never saw in college. Francis is pretty strong for a gaurd, and very quick. That's really all u need to play good defense. That and some experience. So his defense isn't that good now, but will improve.

------------------

4. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

You also have to consider the fact that Stevie's a rookie. It's not unusual for first year players to get torched by veterans. Next year all of this 35 points from the opposing point guard foolishness will stop.

------------------
    "I just whooped $haq's ass."
    -Barkley 3:16

[This message has been edited by AntiSonic (edited March 18, 2000).]

5. DREAMer

DREAMer Member

Let's put it this way: Francis is the best defensive point guard we've had in a long, long time.

Stevie may never become a Gary Payton or Jason Kidd, but he'll improve.

------------------
    I have a dream.........his name's Hakeem.

6. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

From what I've seen and heard, Francis' defense has sucked. I thought it would be much better. However, keep in mind that some of his "defense" should also include the fact that we finally have a point guard that other teams actually have to prepare for. We definitely didn't have that in Malone or Price.

------------------
    <this space for rent>

7. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

If the Rockets learn to play "Team" defense, it will make everyone look like a good defensive player. Most NBA guards can get by whoever is guarding them. It's what happens after they get by that determines a good defensive TEAM

------------------
    I took a course in speed waiting. Now I can wait an hour in only ten minutes- Steven Wright

8. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

He's not good, defensively.

He's average.

But

How MAny

roo
    kie
    pgs

a
    r
    e

good dfenders?

he
    watches
    tapes, so he Should
    ImpRove.

lord of lard.

geting defensive about
    Stevie's defense

[​IMG]

------------------
    Not only am I president of the WaltWizFanClub, I'm also the member.

9. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Franchise is not a good defender. His heart is not in it. At times, he looks like he is resting on defensive [​IMG] If he is very going to get a ring, he will have to get religion about D. He will have to be a leader on both ends of the cout. I sure all of this is not lost on Rudy T, so there is hope ...

------------------

10. fromobile

fromobile Contributing Member

Houston Rocks, what about Cato? ...Actually, let me answer that for you...YES, Cato is a good defensive player.

------------------